SOCIAL WORK - Yy SOP for Applying MA

sandhya2611 1 / 1  
Here is my personal Background.
Age - 31 Years
Previous Educational Background - Masters in Computer Science.
Applying for UK university.
Experience- 3 years in Social Work.

SOP

I believe the role of a social worker is to serve and empower individuals, groups, and communities, who continue to face social injustice, inequality and the many shapes and shades of abuse, in order to help restore a greater sense of human and social well-being. As Social work, alongside other professions, shares and draws on a set of core values and principles relating to the human, legal and civil rights of the child and adult. I would deem it as a brilliant opportunity to pursue the Master's program at your elite university so, that it will help me build and learn more methodologies and practice being followed in a country like UK which is far more reactive to the social causes for all kind of communities and societies.

As, being a social worker one have intervene directly in people's lives, to ensure that individuals are safe and to support people to make their own decisions and changes to their circumstances. I am very confident that the obtaining a Master's program will be giant one step forward towards realizing my dream to be an effective social worker.

As, being a social worker one have intervene directly in people's lives, to ensure that individuals are safe and to support people to make their own decisions and changes to their circumstances. I am very confident that the obtaining a Master's program will be giant one step forward towards realizing my dream to be an effective social worker.I do understand that my family is totally committed and is ready to support me financially during my course and I find it quite valuable support at this stage of my life.I believe that my background, my ambition, and my originality will enable me to make a valuable contribution to the society and be helpful hand to make a significant difference in their lives with the aid of a Master's Degree in Social Work.

My reasons for choosing Social Work program is more than building a career out of it. I you can see from my profile I do hold educational qualifications in computer science domain which is nowhere related to social work area. However, my interest and appetite in social work profession obliges a Master's degree to be obtained so, that I can further realize my goal to be an effective social worker.

My journey towards Social Work domain started with my first employer which is an autonomous body, Government of India under Ministry of Labour and Employment, in year 2011, where I did get an opportunity to work in social work especially for children's with disabilities.

That experience was a life changing event for me and I realized that there is very relatively little known about the abuse of disabled children and very less research has been carried out regarding the safeguarding of disabled children in my country. Furthermore, during the course I realized that there are many challenges which are still to be addressed and still lot of work needs to be carried out in this domain.
This is a good start towards creating an effective Statement of Purpose. However, the way you present your purpose can be further improved. I am making suggestions on how you can best present yourself in your SOP below. I suggest you fix the content first and then we can move on to polishing the message of your sop and then correcting the grammar and punctuation errors in the statement :-)

I believe the role of a social worker is to serve [...] my dream to be an effective social worker.

- This should be your opening statement as it represents your interest in social work and why you want to pursue a masters degree in it.

As, being a social worker one have intervene directly [...] the aid of a Master's Degree in Social Work.

- This should be your second paragraph because it represents your plans for your future as a social worker.Build up the paragraph by mentioning the highlights of your 3 years work experience in social work.

My reasons for choosing Social Work program [...] realize my goal to be an effective social worker.

- This can be your closing statement because it effectively reiterates your reasons for applying for a social work masters degree and how your previous educational attainment will not be a hindrance just because it is not related to social work.

Good luck in revising the paper. I am excited to see how the 2nd draft turns out :-)
OP sandhya2611 1 / 1  
Thanks , Please see below my second attempt. Although I am not able to make any major changes. Please review. Also , it seems to be short to me ..Please provide your suggestions.
Here are my further suggestions / revisions that I hope will help you out :-)

I do believe that role of a social worker is to serve ...

- I believe that the role of a social worker is to help people who have experienced any form of injustice, abuse, and inequality in life. As a social worker, I must help them overcome these experiences that negatively impacted their lives in order to help restore their self-respect, sense of humanity, and well-being.

As Social work, alongside other professions, shares and draws ...

- Rather than using this paragraph, I believe that the essay will benefit more from your telling the reader how your current work experience is relevant to your MA in Social Work. That way the purpose for your application becomes implied, in which case you can explain it more. Or obvious in which case it becomes self explanatory.

My journey towards Social Work domain begin with my first employer ...

- I seriously suggest that you merge this paragraph into your current introductory statement. The strength of your SOP is practically centered in this paragraph. Add your Social Work ideology from the first paragraph and you have created an immensely strong SOP. Put this at the beginning of your SOP introduction then proceed to the currently existing first paragraph in a merged form.

[s}As, being a social worker one have intervene directly in people's lives...

- The sentences I struck out were irrelevant to your SOP and will not serve any purpose towards your being considered for admission.

I look forward to reading the next version. I truly believe that you are slowly perfecting your SOP :-) Keep up the good work! We will always be here to offer our assistance :-)

Home / Graduate / SOCIAL WORK - Yy SOP for Applying MA