SOP for MSc Computer Science(academic background and career strategy) university in Swiss

Xianerrrrr 1 / -  
I'm applying for a master program in computer science at a Swiss university.And this is my sample SOP.
The requirement of Statement of purpose is as following :
The statement of purpose should not exceed 1000 words. You are required to describe your academic background and your career strategy. Please be precise about the objectives you wish to reach through your studies at XXX.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks a lot!

Statement of Purpose

I plan to pursue a master's degree in computer science and further my knowledge of computer science, especially in the field of Graphics & Vision and Human-Computer Interaction, so that I can be ready to become a researcher in digital media companies. I love coming up with innovative ideas which can be a 3D game, an interactive installation, or a robot, and then trying to implement these ideas by myself. Such experiences make me become proficient in a wide array of computer skills, from programming to design, but meanwhile help me realize that I have only scratched the surface of research in this field and activate my desire to learn more deeply.

As I am used to being strict with myself and avoiding wasting time, I have gained pretty rich academic experiences through four-year fast-paced undergraduate life. I always learn faster than most of others, especially in mathematics that is my favorite subject, so it didn't take me much time to get good grades in several courses related to advanced math in the first year, which also laid a good foundation for me to study computer science next. In the same year, I had my first programming course and took an immediate liking to this field which is inextricably linked with math but more applicable in real life.

To continue learning more about programming as well as bring my creativity into full play, I chose to change my major into Digital Media Technology and applied a double major named Studio of Design and Innovation that only recruits 40 students in the whole university every year, both of which belong to the College of Computer Science & Technology and are related with each other a lot. The curriculums of Digital Media Technology nearly cover all basic courses about computer science, and extra plus some courses specially in computer game and animation, while the second major offers courses usually in the form of workshops combining design thinking and the knowledge of one's first major to do something creative. Doubled course load developed my capacity of managing time and work efficiently.

There are several courses I want to mention which influence me a lot. First are three courses that I took in my sophomore year, which are Fundamentals of Data Structures, Object-Oriented Programming and Computer Graphics. At that time I didn't realize the importance of them to my later studies and didn't allocate enough time. As I afterwards learned more and found these knowledge really essential for becoming an excellent programmer, I spent a lot of time to relearn and master them and told myself never to neglect learning the basics. Second is an optional course named Numerical Analysis that I took in my junior year. It was kind of difficult some of the classmates dropped out after the first class, while I totally loved it and found it challenging but interesting to learn some complicated algorithms according to mathematics and implement these algorithms by programming. Through my hard working, I finally gained a high mark and won the approval of the professor who later let me work as a research assistant in his lab and meanwhile the teaching assistant of this course.

At the beginning of the third year, I had an opportunity to exchange for one semester in XXXX, which is a new university in close cooperation with XXX. The way they taught have benefited me a lot. For instance, I implemented 8-bit ALU in two ways, one by programming and the other by circuit design in NI Multism, which I had never done before and made me have a better understanding of computer architecture. Besides, learning in an English-speaking environment improved my English application ability, and I really enjoyed the experience of working with Singapore students in several projects.

Considering of my good performance during the exchange, a professor in XXXX offered me a research internship in a joint project in the Institute for XXXX in Singapore during my third summer holiday. This work experience gave me a chance to apply my knowledge to real world problems and made me more accustomed to studying and working in an English-speaking environment. The sub project I proposed is still ongoing. At that period, weekly meetings and frequent presentations improved my ability of expressing ideas and communication with teammates. And from researchers and scientists there, I learned both academic knowledge and professional working style.

In the final year, I firmed up the decision of further my study in a better academic atmosphere after I finished my Final Term Project of B.S., in which I encountered many problems and learned a lot through the process of solving them. To realize my idea, a XX, what I had learned at that time was not enough, and I had to quickly master new skills that needed. For example, I read a lot of posts about drones to make one by myself, tried a lot of ways to make iPhone control the drone, and developed an application by learning IOS development by Stanford Open lectures in only half months. Although finally my work stood out among the others, it was still not intelligent enough compared with the concept. And I understood that instead of development work, doing more research work deeply into this field is suitable for my desire of more advanced creation.

I first heard the master's program in computer science at XXX from a senior schoolmate who graduated from the same major as me and has been admitted by this program last year, and I found this program so suitable for me that I don't want to miss this opportunity. The nine core courses cover a wide range. Some of them is new to me but interesting like Cryptography and security, while the others that I am familiar with also have different focuses and teaching methods and will give me a better understanding than before. And there are dozens of option courses that interest me, especially some belonging to the category of Signals, images and Interfaces, so I intend to choose this specialization. In addition, I really want to gain an opportunity of the Research Scholars MSc Program, firstly because I have a passion of doing research work which is also part of my future plan, and secondly because there are many top professors and research results in XXX and this program will let me get closer with them. The Immersive Interaction Group and Computer Vision Laboratory attract me most, and it will be wonderful if I can work as a research assistant in these labs but opportunity for student projects are also good. As for career strategy, 6-month internship in this program will help a lot for my later career development as a researcher in digital media companies.
Wang, I would like to say, for the purpose of the essay, this one that you have written is quiet long for its intention. Here are my observations; the beginning of the essay started a little weak, the words you choose does not necessarily satisfy the intensity of the goal of the essay, however, the essay transitioned to be a little strong towards the middle of the essay, this happens to be stretched to the extent that you added a lot of words that at this stage is not really necessary to the essay.

What I suggest is that you revised the essay with the focus of answering the questions below;

- why are you pursuing this masters
- what is your inspiration and what will come out of this masters
- why is this institution vital in pursuing such a course

Lastly, as much as you write about your strength and your academic affiliates, you should also write about what you can give the institution as an alumna and as a future representative.

I hope my insights helped.
hasso0on91 1 / 2  
Your statement of Purpose is too long, you have to keep it short, and try to focus on the main points

Home / Graduate / SOP for MSc Computer Science(academic background and career strategy) university in Swiss