SOP for MSC in Multimedia Computing... Game programming

talha 1 / 1  
Plz evaluate my SOP for MSC. I am applying in a university in uk. I need your comments, suggestions and corrections. I have omitted the names to secure my identity...

I have always wished for a good education which would provide me with a strong footing in my ever growing career. Hence, having done an inspiring four-year course in Computer Science, I would like to pursue Masters in Digital Media Computing. This would give me the leading edge in the Game Development industry that I work in. My main aspiration is to design and create playable and immersive games for mobile phones. My interest in video games dates back to my early childhood years. True passion for games has shaped my current goals. I have an active apprehension of psychology in games which includes analysis of conscious and subconscious decisions that are made by a gamer and his reactions to colors and sound etc. In addition, I have exemplary Project and team management techniques. I firmly believe that xyz University will accommodate me an opportunity to enhance my skills that are essential in the field of video games.

Upon graduation from the university, I got employed as a Software Engineer by xxx company working in partnership with yyy company. My current employer is a leading iOS app developer and has produced some top rated iPhone and Android games such as Tap Fish, Tap Birds, Tap Ranch and Tap Town. These games were such a big hit that it attracted attention of many other companies worldwide. Consequently, xyz has recently been acquired by abc Japan. xxx is a company where emphasis is placed on quality software delivery to its clients. It follows the best software engineering paradigms and allows us to implement best practices learnt from the past experience. I have learned a lot in my present job. My responsibilities include the development of a generic Game-Development API for the usage of the whole Android team working with me. I got the opportunity to lead this project at a very early stage of my career due to my exceptional performance in a short span of time. However, I strongly believe that a Game developer should be instinctive, innovative and quick to adopt new technologies, which is only possible with a solid foundation and profundity in his subjects. That's the reason that I am inclined towards Masters in Digital Media Computing.

Aforetime, at the stage of undergraduate studies, I was engaged in specific software development related to my specialty. I realized various projects which required some specific Computer Science related pre-requisites. All these software developmental exercises made me well versed in many professional skills, including Java, C / C++, HTML, JavaScript and PHP. In addition, I had to employ my entire adroitness accumulated from the four years of Bachelor's studies for completing my Final Year Project which proved to be a challenging commitment by and by. The project was aimed at selecting a cricket team composed of players, who would be most suitable for winning an upcoming tournament based on some historical performance statistics. This project included extraction of ball by ball commentary data from a cricket website and then Data Mining algorithms were applied to select a combination of players that was best for making up a team. Finally, this selection was programmatically verified by simulating a match through classification of ball outcomes. The judges of my project unanimously rated the project as thoroughgoing and exhaustive, replete with original concepts, and with very rich values both in theory and in practice.

Subsequent to my Masters, I intend to gain work experience in the game industry in order to deduce practical implications of my knowledge. In addition, this will give me the confidence and solid foundation of the games developed on different mobile platforms to help me in future as I plan to develop and launch some of my own games in the market. A careful investigation has informed me that xyz is a leading university featuring an educational system and research atmosphere that is highly developed and boasting a number of accomplished professors whose academic attainments are also brilliant. It is my belief that I will acquire the most advanced knowledge in the field of Digital Media, the kind of knowledge that I exploit to improve my game development skills. I am soberly aware that no one can accomplish tremendous achievements in all fields, but as long as I orientate myself to one field for which I have accumulated considerable expertise and constructed a solid groundwork, I am sure that I will attain a fulfilling career out of it.
Guest /  
Hi Talha,

I am not an expert or anything. Its just my opinion:

"These games were such a big hit that it attracted attention of many other companies worldwide. Consequently, xyz has recently been acquired by abc Japan. xxx is a company where emphasis is placed on quality software delivery to its clients. It follows the best software engineering paradigms and allows us to implement best practices learnt from the past experience. I have learned a lot in my present job."

1. "Consequently, xyz has recently been acquired by abc Japan." This sentence isnt quite necessary. It diverts from you and gives unimportant focus on the company. The previous two sentences will be enough to say what a successful company you work in.

2. "xxx is a company where emphasis is placed on quality software delivery to its clients. It follows the best software engineering paradigms and allows us to implement best practices learnt from the past experience. I have learned a lot in my present job." Again these sentences focus on how great the company is and puts you on the side. Instead maybe you could say " xxx is a company where emphasis is placed on quality software delivery to its clients. I am a part of a team that follows the best software engineering paradigms which allows me to implement the best practices. Hence I have learnt alot from my present job."

My point is try to put the focus on you being part of this great company rather than complimenting it as a third person. The university is interested on your achievements and not the company's.

All the best. You seem to be really talented. Do read about Post Graduate Work Permits in UK. It would help you gain work experience after you graduate.

Regards

Prakriti SK
OP talha 1 / 1  
Thanks, I really appreciate it and I think you are right i will incorporate these changes. How did you like the rest of it? Plz reply as i am also curious about the impression that it makes on the reader. Thanks again.
Guest /  
I am not much into gaming. I am more into the artistic side of animation. But the information you provide on your project and work experience tells me you know stuff relevant in your field backed up with strong evidence. Thats great. As a graduate applicant you definitely need to tell them you have your foundation right and you are not a newbie in this line.

The overall SOP looks fine to me. But I suggest you hear mainly from the moderators. They know better and can help you out more professionally.

Home / Graduate / SOP for MSC in Multimedia Computing... Game programming