SOP Texas A&M - Geophysics

Geociencio 1 / -  
When I finished High School I knew that I wanted to study engineering, but I was not sure which field of engineering would be the best. I did some research and found that Geosciences engineering to be fascinating. I read about the Geophysics, part of Geosciences Engineering, and the scope of Geophysics methods and I found it very interesting because mathematics is involved in the process. I loved mathematics since I was a child and the orderliness of mathematics in Geophysics was the principal factor which encouraged me to choose Geosciences Engineering.

While studying Geosciences Engineering I was very interested in all the courses about Geophysics. I worked in a project related to electrical methods where we were looking for water in the subsoil. I was in charge of processing the data. The teacher used to call me "genius" because I always tried to find the solution to any problem. Also, I learned how to manage software without supervision.

Even though I always wanted to get a job in the petroleum industry, I did my internship in the mining industry. I found a placement in the Geophysics department. I was in a Geophysic brigade (field team). It was really interesting, because I applied all the knowledge that I acquired in the university. It was the same in essence, just on a bigger scale. I had an offer in the same company where I did my internship but that was not what I was looking for because I want to apply my knowledge in the petroleum industry.

After I received my degree, I did not think about studying for a master's degree because it is expensive. Also, in Mexico I did not find a degree program which would benefit me. I applied for some jobs and I was close to getting a job in Schlumberger in August 2011, but I did not get the job because my English level was not up to their standard. When I was in the university, I thought it best to put all my efforts in my degree program and later I would study English. I was a little dissapointed in myself because I could not get a job in an important company because the language was a barrier. I started to improve my English in August 2011.

A classmate told me about CONACYT which is a government committee which offers scholarships that help people to study a master's degree. I did some research and I found out that CONACYT pays all the expenses. I was very excited about the idea to study a post graduate degree. I started researching which university would best suit my needs. I found Texas A&M to be the most advantageous choice, because it had the Geophysics program I was looking for, and it had a first-class infrastructure. Moreover, I read some articles about the researsh of Dr. Mark Everett, and I am very interested in "Electromagnetic induction". I would like to be a part of this type of research.

When I decided to apply for the graduate program at Texas A&M, I had been working on my English for just 4 months. Even so, I was successful in the TOEFL iBT and the GRE.

I look forward to being a strong candidate in your Geophysics program. I am the kind of person that never gives up, and I think that I have enough attributes, such as, the ability to research, to synthesise knowledge and to solve problems in a creative way while dealing with complex issue. I hope that you consider me for the masters program
cabotbp 1 / 4  
Sounds fantastic!

Home / Graduate / SOP Texas A&M - Geophysics