Personal Statement for Peace Corp!!

Abby5 8 / 19 4  
Please let me know what out think about this essay, changes needed and editing. Also, this does have a word cap of 500 words, anywhere you can see that I am using unessesary words. Thanks!!

Peace Corps question #2.
Motivational Statement: Why do you want to join the Peace Corps? What past experiences have given you this motivation? How do you see this fitting into your life goals? How do you expect to satisfy the Peace Corps 10 core expectations- be specific about expectations you anticipate to find the most challenging and how you plan to overcome these challenges.

I would like the opportunity to serve as a teacher for the Peace Corp's; my motivation in pursuing this endeavor is to positively contribute the lives of my future students and community members. In this global world, I aspire to show the diplomatic nature of the US, through an exchange at a grassroots level. Being that growth is attained through the reciprocity, I look forward to acquiring the cultural and practical knowledge offered by my new community.

In addition to giving back to society, I know my service experience will also offer betterment in my personal and professional development. I have always had a keen interest in culture and have discovered that when I step outside a comfort zone, I learn invaluable lessons about myself through my interactions with others. Simple day-to-day occurrences are intriguing; like speaking another language and observing idiosyncrasies. Viewing life this way, as an absorbent child does, grants me humility and joy. I hope to deepen my understanding of human nature and apply this knowledge to my classrooms during and after service. The opportunity to expand my cultural awareness abroad, will undoubtedly, upon my return to the US, heighten the quality of my teaching and performance as a graduate student in Education.

My international ventures coupled with a non-traditional upbringing have paved way the for a successful Peace Corps service. Immersing myself in different cultures as a volunteer in Ecuador, student in Spain and traveler in Latin America and Morracco, has developed my perspective. As a result of being exposed to varied lifestyles, beginning at childhood, I have become an adaptable person. I was born into a communal coffee shack in Hawaii, my family lived a simple life; close to nature and without luxuries like plumbing. Also, our family relocated a lot, by the time I had graduated high school, I had attended eleven schools in several states. Believing that the whole world is my home and knowing that I can establish myself anywhere are ideas that are inherent to me.

I believe that although challenging, I will integrate easily into a foreign community and be able to satisfy the ten core expectations. If I had to isolate what would be the most difficult, (and thus provide the biggest potential for growth), it would be away from friends and family for 27 months. Even though I have not lived in the same city as my immediate family for 12 years, I do put much effort into the care and development of my young niece and nephew. I will miss them, but realize that two years in a foreign country, engrossed in my work, and in a constant state of learning, will pass by before I know it. I believe that the perspective I will return with will add richness to their lives, and perhaps broaden their ideas of the world.

The Peace Corps mission to promote peacemaking and friendship is something that I wholeheartedly admire and feel confident that I will embody as a volunteer. Through serving in the Peace Corps, I hope to progress the knowledge of others and myself in a positive global interchange.
Dearcollege2013 2 / 7  
I think this is very inspiring and well-written!

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for Peace Corp!!