Personal Statement for PhD- Integrative Biology

Alanw1987 1 / -  
Dear All,

Firstly I would like to say what an amazing site this is; a great resource for students and the like.

I am currently applying for a studentship in Integrative Biology. The application process entails first applying to a research group/supervisor to confirm a place on the research group.

This is that letter; i'm not sure if it should be different from the actual personal statement used in the institutions application so would like to know. Also I know its long so any recommendations on what to cut out would be much appreciated. Here i is:

Dear Professor XX,

I am writing as I wish to apply for the Genes to Organisms PhD training programme in Integrative Biology and to express interest in joining the Molecular Ecology Research Group.

The insights one may gain through the study of biology has such personal resonance that once understood it is impossible to look at life in the same way again. It is for this reason; the privilege of understanding, at least a small part of the processes that have lead to the evolution of life in all its complexities that I developed a passion for the biological sciences.

During my time as an undergraduate of Environmental Biology at University College London those subject areas that most fascinated me most were Ecology, Behavioural Ecology, Genetics, Evolutionary Biology. With knowledge of these subjects came wonderful revelations; the beautiful complexity and implications that came with understanding more of the natural world.

Research Interests

Choosing a specific area of research to follow out of the broad range of my interests is no easy task. I am keen to work in the field of ecological genetics or evolutionary genetics. Identifying the mechanisms of evolutionary change and the implications for larger scale biological phenomena interests me most.

My choice to focus on these areas was inspired by several course modules as an undergraduate. I found great success in a number of topics dealt with in these modules. A few of note are; the origins and maintenance of eusociality in insects; the mechanisms determining sex ratio and sex ratio distortion; action of selfish genetics elements and evolution of resistance; and the evolutionary pressures determining mating systems in birds and mammals.

Interest in the Studentship and the Molecular Ecology Group

I am excited merely by the prospect of potentially undertaking a studentship at the Department of Zoology at XXX University. The reputation of the department is unparalleled and offers an outstanding platform for professional development. The potential for collaboration with other departments and professional disciplines is also exciting. Speaking at the royal institute earlier this year Paul Nurse made the point that biology is facing a leap into "a strange, counterintuitive world", similar to that of physics in the early part of the 20th century with quantum physics. An integral part of attempting to understand the complex future of biology will be in fostering cross disciplinary knowledge and partnerships.

More specifically I am interested in the work conducted by the Molecular Ecology Group and yourself for both the potential for collaboration with professionals from other disciplines and the subject matter studied. The work involving the social structure and breeding systems of pinnipeds and other marine mammals is interesting but of your more current work involving Heterozygote Instability and its implications for population genetics that I would find particularly rewarding.

Experience and the future

I am very grateful for my time studying as an undergraduate at University College London. The exemplary field courses provided a firm practical foundation on which to build a greater theoretical understanding of a wide range of biological disciplines.

However, my interest in biology developed much before my education at University. Prior to my undergraduate studies I spent 6 months in Tanzania working a senior research assistant for XX Tanzania. The work involved what was my predominant interest at the time Ecology and animal behaviour. During this time I gained valuable field experience in a number of techniques used in ecological research.

Developing this field experience yet further I intend to travel to Peru in February 2011 to assist in research in the Tambopata National Reserve. Working as a 'Resident Naturalist' (a position created by the Explorers Inn/ Peruvian Safaris for graduate biologists to gain research experience in the TNR) I will be developing valuable research experience working with collaborative projects with RAINFOR and San Marcos University. In addition to this I will also develop and conduct my own research project during my 6 months there; although this is yet to be finalised I am interested in investigating the role of wing patterns in Heliconius butterflies in premating isolation and speciation.

If successful taking part in this PhD studentship in Integrative Biology will be a privilege I intend to make the most of. I am sure that the opportunity will be as challenging as it is stimulating and I can guarantee a genuine enthusiasm and unwavering determination to goals of the research and to ensuring the highest possible standard of work.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my personal statement and the accompanying CV.

Kind Regards
kahadi 1 / 6  
I am writing as I wish to apply for the Genes to Organisms PhD training programme in Integrative Biology and to express interest in joining the Molecular Ecology Research Group.(I would like to submit this letter as my formal application for the Genes to Organisms PhD Training Program in Integrative Biology. I have an interest to be a contributing member of the Molecular Ecology Research Group)

The insights one may gain through the study of biology hashave such personal resonance that once understood it is impossible to look at life in the same way again. It is for this reason; the privilege of understanding, at least a small part of the processes that have leadled to the evolution of life in all its complexities that I developed a passion for the biological sciences.

During my time As an undergraduate of Environmental Biology at University College London,I was exposed to various subject, but I found my fascination mostly with Ecology, Behavioural Ecology, Genetics, and Evolutionary Biology. With scraping the surface of these subjects came wonderful revelations, the beauty, complexity, and the implication of the natural world.

I hope this helps. Take what you like of my comments and disregard what you disagree.

Let's give this intro a makeover. I think you need a brief sentence before this sentence... anything to catch the reader's attention and express your main idea a little. Make it a short sentence.

Next, add a sentence after it as well. That will make it so that your intro has three sentences. If you could sum up the message of the whole letter in a single sentence, that is the sentence to put in the intro as the 3rd sentence of the first paragraph.

These days, that is the way to communicate. Hook the attention,give the necessary info, and then make your statement in a single breath, succinctly and clearly. This intro is the whole essay, really.

The insights one may gain through the study of biology has such personal resonance that once understood it is impossible to look at life in the same way again. ---I suggest changing this sentence so that it refers to a particular experience that did this for you. That will make it real instead of abstract.

Choosing a specific area of research to follow out of the broad range of my interests is no easy task. Modern readers have no tolerance for wasted sentences. Let each sentence punch the reader in the stomach; let each sentence pack a punch. Modern readers with their busy lives have no patience, and that is especially true for AO readers who go through tons of essays.

As I finish reading this, I am very impressed!! Now I am very glad you are here at essayforum. You have such great potential, so I am here to criticize any boring sentences that try to creep into your essays! :-) Thanks for participating.

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for PhD- Integrative Biology