Statement of Purpose for Professional MSc in Big Data

adwaitasathe 1 / -  
So I've made an attempt at writing an SOP for masters in Big Data based on my profile.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

study Data engineering and Data analysis in detail

SOP:

Enthralled by how much data and technology have changed our lives and to keep up with the advancements in the field of Big Data and prepare myself to meet the demanding standards of this industry, I wish to pursue a graduate program in Big Data from your esteemed University. With an innate curiosity, a strong desire and ability to learn, along with experience in Analytics and Insights, I am ready to meet the rigor of this demanding course.

During my undergraduate studies in Engineering, Mathematics always held the crux of my interest. Amongst the assortment of technical, analytical and challenging subjects that I studied in 4 years of engineering, analyzing a mathematical wringler and bringing it to its logical solution drove me. Courses in Applied Mathematics helped me to learn about different tools for statistical analysis such as regression analysis and differential equations. Languages like C, C++ introduced me to concepts of programming. On the other hand, courses like industrial engineering, operational research helped me to nurture my analytical and problem-solving skills.

Always exploring for the simplified solutions, final year Engineering elated me to design an electro mechanical product "Automated Seed Planter" which replaced the traditional approach of sowing seeds manually in India, giving higher yield of crops in lesser time. The product having numerous unique features was awarded National level awards in the Technical Event held at Engineering Colleges. The project helped me to understand various phases of product development. For automating the product, extensive coding of micro controller was done in C++ which further developed my keen interest in Software Programming.

After pursuing graduation, I joined Tata Consultancy Service as an Assistant System Engineer. During my tenure of 2.3 years with XYZ, I got ample opportunities to enhance my programming as well as leadership skills. In Initial Learning Programme I was introduced to various new concepts in Computer Science like Data Structure, Algorithms and Database Management System along with that I was trained in COBOL, DB2, SQL, IMS and JCL to work in Mainframe environment.

Initially I worked in Energy and Resources domain for client "Tata Steel" Netherlands, where I was involved in two projects "Smart Steel Factory" and "Do more with Less". The core part of these projects was data retrieval from existing system and storing it into DB2 tables which helped me understand the process of data mining. Having got ample knowledge in Steel manufacturing during undergraduate studies, I conducted a seminar for over 50 associated on "Processes in Steel manufacturing', which was highly appreciated by management. Later I worked for TCS client "IF Insurance" in Application Development and Maintenance team where I was involved in Enhancement and Development of the legacy applications. Working in Agile methodology, the project exposed me to the different phases of software development life cycle and helped me acquire knowledge of insurance domain. Apart from this I also worked on MIPS reduction, where I tuned numerous SQL queries to reduce CPU execution time, this gave me insight about query optimization.

Evolution of data dramatically in recent years, in type, volume, and velocity - with its rapid evolution attributed to the widespread digitization of business processes globally, made me more fascinated towards data and data tuned information. Realizing, its further increase will be key to the transformation and growth of enterprises globally, I made transition to the field of Big data and Big Data Analytics. Since one year I am working in Analytics and Insights stream in TCS where I am involved in projects utilizing Hadoop tools like Hive, Pig, HiveQL , Mapreduce for Data processing , Flume and Sqoop for Data ingestion , Oozie for data governance and Apache Spark .

My education and experience have motivated me to study Data engineering and Data analysis in detail, I believe, XYZ Master's Program in Big Data completely corresponds to my aspiration. The courses like Design and Analysis of Algorithms for Big Data, Data mining and Big Data Systems will help in-depth understanding of a wide range of fundamental algorithms and processing platforms used in big data management .The "Programming for Big Data" Lab courses will help me to gain Hands-on experience on various Big Data tools as well as help me enhance programming skill. Also, this course will teach me the way to overcome unique challenges binding these two fields - Technology and Business, thus creating a professional who can analyze various hidden patterns in a database, enabling organizations to take well-informed decisions.

Co-op is one of the most appealing parts of program, which will provide me excellent opportunities to gain industrial experience and utilize my skills and knowledge obtained in classroom to solve big data challenges. KEY, XYZ Big Data Initiative will provide me a special exposure to various researches in Big Data, participate in workshops and conferences and interact with industry experts in big data.

It would be my privilege to study at XYZ which is one of the world's leading academic institutions, offering a unique educational experience that prepares the next generation of global citizens to lead and make a difference in the world. I'm positive that the course structure, curriculum and the real- world approach offered by XYZ will play a huge role in my life as both a student and a professional.

I look forward to join XYZ as a graduate student at your esteemed department of Computer Science.
Adwait, your college academic presentation should not enumerate the classes that you took unless you excelled and received honors or recognition for your performance in these classes. The reviewer already knows what classes are involved in a Mechanical Engineering course so there is no need to enumerate these in this essay. All he wants to know about regarding your college studies is, "What classes did you excel in and why? ". Aside from that, a mention of any exceptional projects, in relation to Big Data collection would be an enhancement of your academic presentation. If your accomplishment or project does not relate to the topic of Big Data, then you should not be mentioning it in the essay because that is irrelevant information that could make the reviewer stop reading your SOP. For your college project that won an award, try to think of some way to connect it to Big Data collection or how your can use this sort of project in the field of Big Data. That way you can mention this project in a relevant manner to your desired course of master study.

As an employee at Tata, focus more on the 2 projects that introduced you to Big Data collection and its uses. The previous mention of the mechanical engineering aspect of the job is irrelevant yet again because those tasks did not involve the development of your interest in big data. Now, since a masters degree student is required to have at least 2 years work experience in the field that he wishes to enrol in, it would be best if you simply omit the mention of the length of time you have been involved in the study of big data. Or, you could simply say that "my collective 2 year work experience at Tata..." that way you are not lying in your SOP, just stretching the truth a bit for your benefit. Skip the presentation about the seminar you conducted for TCS. It is again not important nor related to your foundation in Big Data on a professional level. The part about enhancement and development of legacy applications should remain.

Now, I have to point out that there is no solid purpose for your desire to study other than the generic reasons that all students use. If you want this SOP to stand out, you will need to either develop a solid purpose for your line of study in relation to your 5 year career goals or, you will have to indicate a desire to improve a specific part of Big Data Analysis through these studies in order to make the data collection more efficient and useful in a specific field. As of now, that part of this essay is almost non-existent.

Based on these observations, let me tell you straight to the point, you can't revise the essay. You will be better off writing a new one because a major part of this current version is irrelevant in terms of the required information considerations. Based on your background, you should be able to write a new and more appropriate SOP within 500 words or less. That means you will be in the median word count range. Not too long and not too short, but highly informative for the reviewer to analyze with the rest of your application documents.

Home / Graduate / Statement of Purpose for Professional MSc in Big Data