Statment of purpose for masters in public health - every person well being

oshoapollo 1 / 2 1  
Instructions:
should not exceed 600 words.
include strong justification for your second year specialization choice.
Do not repeat information already provided in your CV, however you may develop it E.g. if you mention some facts in your CV (voluntary work, internships, other activities etc.), in your motivation letter you may emphasize aspects of this experience that in your opinion are important to justify your predispositions for a public health programme.

should not be a literary work. It should provide a concrete justification of why you are a good candidate for the xxx programme.
recommended to mention the specific interest in the area of public health you would like to work on during your studies or/and after

SOP - work in the field of public health

I grew up in a developing country which has strives to reach global standards of healthcare but is plagued with growing epidemic of infectious and non-communicable diseases. Naturally, enrolling in medical college, my objective was to emerge with knowledge and experience that could both be beneficial to me, the community and on a larger scale the world that we live in. But it was while treating pregnant women and kids afflicted with HIV at a government hospital that the underlying stigma she faced and the far-reaching implications of public health, came to my attention.

The environment of the state-owned hospital I studied and later worked in allowed me to interact and treat many socioeconomically diverse patients and understand their perspective of healthcare. While volunteering at dental camps organized by the Government dental hospital, Mumbai and the Rotaract club for over three years, I observed how the diseases of urban areas of India differed from that of the rural and tribal ones; high risk caries and oral health conditions with relation to NCDs as opposed to deficiency and negligent healthcare related conditions in the latter. The surprising advent of NCDs in the rural areas piqued my interest about the dynamics of social and environmental determinants of public health.

Unlike my experience of working with the state-owned hospital, the problems of patients I treated in the private clinic were related to high out-of-pocket expenditures and a lack of dental insurance coverage. Also, there was a stark difference in the quality of healthcare and I observed that the poor and marginalized section of the urban society could neither afford nor had the access to the high-end treatment facilities.

Due to the contrasting work experiences in public and private healthcare sectors I was motivated to take up a MOOC in Global Health by University of Copenhagen where I studied in brief about the aspects of Global health and health governance.

Since then, I have become increasingly aware of my growing sense of compassion and engagement with the issue of inequities in healthcare. My decision to pursue Masters in Public Health has stemmed from this desire to study the relationship between socioeconomic determinants and health systems.

I chose xxx masters as it provides me with a platform to learn and interact in a multicultural and professionally diverse environment of faculties and students with a network spanning over xxx. I am drawn to its strong emphasis on social and behavioral factors that affect communities, both local and international, coursework and practical field experience.

With the rapid economic and epidemiological transitions, the issues of urban-rural divide and low insurance coverage are becoming increasingly evident in India. This is one of my main motivators to apply for the second-year specialization of Governance of Health Systems in Transition at the xxx University, xxx. I am especially interested in the modules of Health Impact Assessment and Economic Burden of Diseases as they are in congruence with my desire understand determinants of health and their impact on healthcare.

Through my undergraduate coursework, interning and volunteering experience I have gained a broad knowledge, different perspectives and insights into healthcare and will be a valuable addition to the student community. While being a dentist has been a useful background to pursue healthcare, I realize that cost-effective solutions and policies implemented upstream will lead to sustainable healthcare than checkups and treatments alone.

As a future professional in the field of public health I plan to study health inequities with a focus on working of health systems to develop, evaluate and scale programmatic initiatives to improve outcomes of health policies in low income countries.

The WHO Constitution enshrines "The highest attainable standard of health as a fundamental right of every human being." and this is the key driving force behind my motivation to work in the field of public health.

I want to work toward fairness and justice in the field of health and my admission to xxx is crucial to make my desire a reality.
avk, the flow of your essay needs to be improved because right now, it is long but rambling. You need to write definite paragraphs with definite information that have a strong presentation so that the reviewer will be engaged in reading an informative SOP. You should start your presentation not from college but from the first masters degree that you studied and your work experience after completing that degree. Your secondary work experience, in relation to your previous masters degree should be able to show a motivational point that pushed you towards the completion of a secondary masters degree. I see that you have experience in both the public and private work sectors. The additional strength of your motivation should be based upon the common problems that you perceived in both situations instead of separate problem situations because at a certain point, the problems of both health sectors merge and / or intertwine. Therefore, the combination presentation will be stronger in effect than individual discussions that don't really point out a significant problem that you wish to address, individually. The essay doesn't really explain how you plan to use this information in relation to your future career plans. You may want to consider that as a part of the reasoning you presented for your desire to complete the masters degree. It proves that you have a plan of action that will benefit from your studies in this field.
OP oshoapollo 1 / 2 1  
@Holt thank you. I'll work on it and repost. :)
This is my SOP for the first masters degree, my previous degree was a bachelor's one.

Home / Graduate / Statment of purpose for masters in public health - every person well being