PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR MASTERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH FOR GKS

Glorychi 1 / 1  
I need an honest review for my personal statement.

My deep-seated passion for public health, particularly addressing the healthcare needs of the ageing population, has its roots in a personal experience that profoundly impacted me. Witnessing my grandfather's passing due to complications from food poisoning and the lack of adequate healthcare resources in our community illuminated the stark reality: there existed a critical gap in health services and policies tailored to the unique needs of older adults in my country and the health needs of other population.

Growing up in a rural community in Imo State, Nigeria, I questioned the lack of accessible medical facilities and observed people succumbing to illnesses without medical intervention.

My exposure to the vast world of healthcare was very limited, but having a mother who is the sole trained nurse in our village gave me a little insight into the world of healthcare. Reading some of her health-related books made me understand that something could be done to help my community and my country at large.

My curiosity grew to passion, which led me to pursue a course in medical laboratory technology at a diploma level and medical laboratory science at a degree level in the School of Health and Technology, Orlu Imo State, and the University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria, respectively.

I took introductory courses such as biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, histology, biostatistics in health sciences, basic pharmacology and toxicology, biomedical instrumentation, and core courses such as medical microbiology, haematology, blood group serology, clinical chemistry and immunology, and histopathology. Through these courses, I developed skills in innovation and technology, disease prevention and public health, biomedical research, diagnostic advancement, patient care, and treatment.

Armed with the conviction that understanding the roots of diseases is essential to improving healthcare, I pursued this degree to equip myself with the skills to conduct tests and diagnose illnesses. However, my overarching goal has always been to extend this knowledge beyond diagnostics and delve into the broader realm of public health, seeking solutions to the systemic challenges that hinder access to quality healthcare for citizens, especially the elderly.

In my final year as an undergraduate, my growing passion for the health care of the elderly population prompted me to choose a research topic that is related to the older adult, which is titled: Evaluation of thyroid function in older adults (65 years and older) in Calabar Metropolis. As a prerequisite to the award of bachelors in every Nigerian university, a mandatory research study must be conducted.

The result of this research study showed that ageing is associated with changes in thyroid function. The thyroid function of this population showed a significant decrease in their thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and higher free T4 (tetraiodothyronine) levels. Other results generated from these studies showed that these populations of older adults suffered from malnutrition. This study is yet to be published, but I am working closely with my supervisor to have it published in a recognised health journal in my country and other international health journals.

I am drawn to the vibrant landscape of South Korea, a nation that stands at the forefront of innovative healthcare practices. South Korea's commitment to public health is evident in its comprehensive and integrated healthcare systems, cultural sensitivity in healthcare practices, The innovative use of technology, the integration of telemedicine, and smart healthcare solutions have revolutionized healthcare accessibility and delivery.

During COVID-19,the rest of the world saw how South Korea responded, which was announced as one of the most successful in the world. This was due to the sustained investment in public health capacity through the Korea's Framework Act on the Management of Disasters and Safety and the Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act.

South Korea's dedication to research is noteworthy, her ministry of science and ICT's investment in the development of Infectious disease diagnostic technology is fascinating, as an individual who loves and is eager to learn, I am fascinated. Therefore, studying in Korea will not only afford me the opportunity to advance in knowledge and career but I also aspire to put the knowledge gained after my master's degree into practice by disseminating the informations gained from my research to the end users of my research.

Furthermore, I am particularly drawn to the successful ageing policies implemented by South Korea. The nation has demonstrated an ability to not only extend the life expectancy of its citizens but also enhance their overall quality of life.

The prospect of engaging in cutting-edge research in the field of public health further solidified my decision to pursue a master's degree in South Korea. It not only positions me as an advocate for public health innovation but also underscores the narrative of implementing these advancements in healthcare practices in Nigeria. My decision to choose South Korea for my master's in public health is not only fueled by academic aspirations but also by the vision to be a catalyst for change in public health practices.

In preparation for a career in public health,I have actively participated in health awareness and immunization campaigns, which have equipped me with practical insights into the public health challenges faced by diverse populations.

My volunteer experiences with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) like the Pink Africa Foundation, a member of the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC), have been instrumental in fostering community health awareness.

As a student who is passionate about research,innovation and advocacy, during my undergraduate studies, I was part of a team who formed a forum called 'The Outstanding Researchers and Scientific Innovators' Forum (TORASIF), whose mission is to elevate the spirit of research in Nigeria and Africa, health education and research.

My multifaceted skill set includes not only a solid foundation in medical laboratory science but also proficiency in content writing and business plan development. These additional skills will help me to effectively communicate public health messages, engage communities, and contribute to the strategic planning and implementation of healthcare initiatives.

I believe that studying in Korea would not only enhance my academic and professional skills, but also my personal and intercultural competencies.

If offered this scholarship, South Korea will not only have invested in an ardent researcher but will have empowered me to address the unique healthcare needs in Nigeria, contribute innovative solutions to public health challenges, foster positive change in Nigeria, forge global collaborations, and strengthen her diplomatic ties between our nations.
I would stringly suggest that you strengthen your presentation when it comes to the food poisoning event as it was a pivotal point in your life that led to a career decision. Open by discussing what sort of medical facilities you have in your village. Then explain your mother's background as a nurse. How did she end up being the only nurse in your village? Is she a true nurse or a village nurse who practices natural medicine? Those are 2 different types of nurses. Then, move on to your grandfather's food poisoning and reasons why your mother missed the diagnosis. All these should lead up to the reasons why you began to question your healthcare facilities and why you were led to the decision to seek an undergraduate degree in your course, proceeding to the main reason you are motivated to get a masters in Public Health.
OP Glorychi 1 / 1  
Thank you so much. I felt is not very necessary to explain in details, but I know better now. I really appreciate your contribution

Home / Scholarship / PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR MASTERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH FOR GKS