Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

"Studying public health at Des Moines University" - my MPH essay

Bankai88b 1 / -  
Hello:

Will someone please help me proof read my paper and make any suggestions? please that would be much appreciated. I am horrible at grammar. Thank you and sincerely, -Jay

Confucius was a great Chinese philosopher. Honored by the scholars, his teachings resonated throughout the ages and paved a new way of governing politics which brought order to China in the mist of chaos. His greatness did not stem from his ability to govern, but his ability to implement moral and ethical teachings to the general public. Confucius believed that in order to help those in need, a thorough understanding of the public is necessary. As a strong advocate of Confucian believes and an aspiring physician, I firmly believe a MPH degree will enable me to gain insight into public health which will allow me to participate in addressing healthcare concerns and needs as a physician.

Biology is the root of medical science. My interest in biology was kindled by my high school biology teacher, Mr. Ron Cisar, who incorporated art and music to make learning biology an enjoyable experience. His unconventional methods ignited my passion for the biological science. One thing led to another, while pursuing a degree in biology, I started volunteering in public institutions such as local hospitals and community health centers which allowed me to interact with the community. The joy of helping those in need and making a difference in their lives allowed me to fully comprehend the Christian notion of Agape, an unconditional love for another human being. I chose medicine because it combined my love for biology as well as my interest in community work.

It wasn't until half-way through my medical education that I became interested in Infectious disease. In my 3rd year as a medical student, I encountered a delightful gentleman bedridden with a persistent infection: Clostridium Difficile. Interesting enough, it is an atypical bacterium that resides and causes infection of the colon in the absence of other native bacterium species. Emotionally laden with his condition the patient seeks to find closure. Unfortunately, despite the attending physician's efforts to eradicate the nuisance with potent antibiotics, it was ultimately decided that a colectomy was necessary for the survival of the patient. At that time I thought to myself: How can something so small be so destructive and life-altering.

My experience sparked a profound interest in me to pursue the field of infectious disease medicine. My encounter with the patient made me realized how real life experiences outweigh what the medical book entails. It is not how many bacterias or viruses you can remember, but how many you are able to treat or prevent. Infectious disease is an ever expanding field and I am motivated to be a part of that growing process. It holds an essential key in improving community health, and will also make for a challenging, but rewarding career.

Infectious disease depends strongly on research and detective work. It involves finding the sources of disease and the patterns of their spread. This is where preventive medicine and epidemiology comes into play. Having participated in several research projects, I feel it is necessary to grasp epidemiological concepts in order to substantiate findings. Preventive medicine is a discipline that closely augments infectious disease. I was impressed by the impact this discipline has in improving the overall health of the community, and how epidemiology outline some of the important aspects of PM such as the need to treat or screening methods. I believe a MPH program will augment my understanding of infectious disease and epidemiology as well as community health which will enable me to conducting independent research during my trek toward becoming an infectious disease physician.

According to the World Health Organization, 25% of deaths every year attribute to infections. Infectious diseases claimed more lives than any other medical ailment. Most common hospital and office visits are related to infections. Despite modern medical advancements, newly evolved organisms like SARS or H1N1 continue to surface and cause widespread threat. How do we effectively prepare ourselves for another outbreak? Is there a way to prevent these outbreaks? How do we effectively address the public concerns regarding outbreaks? These are the questions that I want to emphasize on as I venture into the world of public health and infectious disease.

Studying public health at Des Moines University will be a great experience due to its rigorous curriculum, reputed faculty, and academically stimulating environment. I would also love to participate in any research pertaining to epidemiology and infectious disease at the clinical departments of DMU School of Medicine. The rigorous MPH program along with possible research opportunities will aid me in my future endeavors. An opportunity to study public health at DMU will provide me with a strong foundation and knowledge of the medical and healthcare community which will be critical for my future as a physician, and I am confident that I will build upon it to the best of my ability.

Thanks again:-)

Home / Graduate / "Studying public health at Des Moines University" - my MPH essay