'three experiences' - Peace Corps Essay 2012 #1

brijames09 1 / -  
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice!

My Study in Paris, France

Since January of 2012 I have been studying abroad in Paris, France. I have previously traveled to France and studied in Paris for a summer in 2011 and the difference this time is that I am staying with a French family. From my first visit in France I knew that there would be cultural differences however I had no idea to what extent that they would be. We were given seminars on cultural differences and this was helpful but the real challenge was finding the unspoken boundaries without having crossed them, and other unspoken cultural rules. This can only be done with close observation, and that is what I have done. My initial time spent here was one of transition; I had to adjust to them as they adjusted to me. Adjusting is not always easy and I had to quickly learn that cultural differences can easily give way to misunderstandings. My time spent in Paris has taught me how to handle cultural differences. How to learn about others cultures as well as give lessons about my own. From this experience I have grown immensely as a person and now have a deeper understanding of the world and how it works.

I have also been a Resident Assistant for two years; one of my duties in this role is to create a community that is inclusive to all of its members. This becomes a difficult task when a normal community is made up of women from differing backgrounds and interests. In order to have a successful community there must be a mutual trust and common boundaries that every one respects. From this experience I have learned not only how to build a community as well as successfully integrate myself into one. Being in a position of authority it is not always easy to gain the trust of my residents. The establishing of this trust takes time and patience. I must show my residents that I am someone deserving of their trust therefore earning it. I am also a mentor to a high school student, students in high school believe they have everything figured out. It is hard for them to open up, must show them you are someone they can trust and rely on in order to be an effective mentor. This takes time and patience and a heart that wants to make a real connection. Your heart must be in it and if you have the desire and determination it can be done.

These three experiences have taught me how to successfully integrate into a community that was not originally my own and make it my own. As a result of studying abroad I have successfully been able to learn about a new culture, live in that culture, and make life long connections with members of that culture. This experience has also taught me how to deal with and avoid cultural misunderstandings. As a Peace Corps volunteer I will bring with me these lessons and apply them.
Since my first visit to France I knew that there would be cultural differences, however I had no idea to what extent that they would be.

We were given seminars on cultural differences and this was helpful, but the real challenge was finding the unspoken boundaries without having crossed them, and other unspoken cultural rules.

Adjusting is not always easy and I had to quickly learn that cultural differences can easily give way to misunderstandings.---You should use some examples, to make your essay more personal and interesting.

My time spent in Paris has taught me how to handle cultural differences, like how to learn about others cultures as well as give lessons about my own.

From this experience, I have learned not only how to build a community, as well asbut to also successfully integrate myself into one.

Being in a position of authority, it is not always easy to gain the trust of my residents.

Good luck in the Peace Corps, and have fun!

:)

Home / Graduate / 'three experiences' - Peace Corps Essay 2012 #1