Working in an Autism Day Treatment room with preschoolers has given me further experience

ksSLP 1 / -  
Speech Pathology Grad Program Personal Statement

My passion for language and communication, and its relationship to individuals with communication differences and disorders has been a constant in my academic and career path. My educational and professional experiences, as a Speech-Language-Hearing-Sciences major and working with children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, have only strengthened my desire to pursue a career as a Speech-Language Pathologist. The University of Minnesota's graduate program will not only provide me with a quality education preparing me for a position as a Speech-Language Pathologist, but also aligns with my values and qualities I long for in a graduate program and an education.

My educational background in my undergraduate courses provides ample evidence of my potential to succeed in the Speech-Language Pathology graduate program. I received a 3.86 grade point average in the Speech-Language-Hearing-Sciences coursework, demonstrating mastery in the content and skills. I've also received honors for academic excellence - placing on the Dean's List every semester enrolled in my undergraduate program. Another indicator of my academic readiness is my participation in tutoring program offered through the Speech-Language-Hearing-Sciences department. I tutored students enrolled in Speech Science and Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech Mechanism, showing not only a deep understanding of the content, but also a proficiency in explaining and teaching the information. My dedication to academics is directly related to the responsibility I feel to provide high quality services to clients - a value the University of Minnesota's grad program also holds in high esteem.

Working in an Autism Day Treatment room with preschoolers has given me further experience making me well suited for a profession as a speech-language pathologist. I have an understanding of how therapy is provided in a group setting, and helped provide these services to children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Through this experience, I've learned to use treatment tools effectively to help clients meet their goals. I've also gotten the chance to work with clients from diverse and various backgrounds, learning and utilizing skills to determine between language differences and disorders. I've also become skilled in implementing goals during treatment, as well as documenting clients' progress with goals. Through working closely with speech-language pathologists in the classrooms, as well as through other observations in diverse settings, I've become familiar with play-based therapy, as well as augmentative and alternative communication devices like Picture Exchange Communication Systems and Proloquo2Go. Working with client's diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder has greatly influenced my decision to become a speech-language-pathologist. I've worked with clients who are completely non-verbal, to those who use language to the fullest extent. Although I'm only beginning the process to become a speech-language pathologist, I hope to work more with clients diagnosed with Autism. The way they use and understand language is fascinating, which also provides an environment to get creative and tailor treatment to a client's specific needs.

When considering my education, I factor how a university provides me with the tools to be successful in the field. The University of Minnesota is a perfect fit for my academic and career goals by providing a rigorous course load, clinical and research opportunities of interest, and a quality education in a diverse setting. The department at The University of Minnesota is certainly successful, boasting a 100% passing rate of the Praxis and employment rate. The program will clearly prepare me for certification and achievement in the field. Being in a diverse setting is also important, having worked and volunteered with clients exhibiting a range of language differences and disorders. The department can offer that diverse clientele being located in the metro area, as well as offering a variety of hospitals, clinics and schools for clinical practicum. Further, the department has professors with diverse backgrounds, all focusing in different specialties. The diversity of clients, locations and experts will give me a holistic insight of the Speech-Language Pathology field. There are also many faculty members whose research is of interest. Dr. Sheri Stronach's research into early identification of Autism Spectrum Disorder and social communication development is especially interesting, due to my goal of working with children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Further, the "Learning To Talk" lab deals directly with pediatrics and discovering ways to help kids who have difficulties learning to talk. This is a unique opportunity within the department at The University of Minnesota. The department values academic rigor and commitment to community engagement, two values I can bring to the program. I demonstrate and value academic rigor by not only excelling in my undergraduate coursework, but also by graduating with a B.A. in SLHS and an Art minor in 3 years while working part-time and remaining active in student groups and events. I bring community engagement, through volunteering at a nursing home in the twin cities as well as having worked with diverse clients.

I have a strong desire to become a Speech-Language Pathologist and I am excited to begin the next chapter in achieving that desire. I am a caring, compassionate, and patient person who loves to celebrate success and accomplishments - personality traits important when involved in therapy. As a reliable and responsible person who values the ability to adapt, I believe I am a strong candidate for the Speech-Language Pathology graduate program and The University of Minnesota. I'm excited to continue my academic career in the Speech-Language-Hearing-Sciences field and look forward to helping improve clients' communication skills, through research and academic opportunities. For these reasons and many more, it would be an honor to be accepted to the Speech-Language Pathology program at the University of Minnesota.
Kim, your personal statement tends to rehash information that the admissions officer can get from reading the other documents and common app essays that you will be submitting along with this paper for their consideration. I believe that your personal statement would benefit from a revision by discussing an aspect of your desire to become a highly educated speech pathologist that is not covered by other common app prompts and documents. You need to provide only relevant information in a personal statement that highlights the following:

1. The personal reasons that you chose to pursue this career and the reasons behind your choice of masters studies.
2. Your reasons for choosing to pursue these studies at this particular institution.
3. Your personal interests in the field and specific research your wish to participate in.
4. Proof of your ability to excel in this field based upon previous leadership success or skills displayed. You can retain the story about Autism Day, just make it shorter and direct to the point. An additional touch that will make this portion more personal is an anecdote about a child who particularly touched you and motivated you during Autism Day.

5. What you hope to personally achieve in terms of self fulfillment once you complete the course.

Everything about the essay needs to resonate with your personal goals, motivations, or objectives in life. By creating a personal connection between yourself and the field of study, you will be able to strengthen your personal statement.

Home / Graduate / Working in an Autism Day Treatment room with preschoolers has given me further experience