It's a world that we have designed to suit our needs; SoP for M.Sc. product design

somethingphishy 1 / 1  
Please take a look and tell me where i can change what. I have an undergraduate degree in communicationd design but i want to pursue a postgrad degree in product design .. apart from my portfolio, this is all i have.

Help!

Studying art and design during my undergraduate years has enhanced my well founded desire to understand and then fabricate a part of the world around us. It's a world that we have designed to suit our needs, and one that we will have to continue to enhance at the most fundamental levels, so as to assure our future lifestyles are safer, smarter, more efficient, more comfortable and more durable. Even in its broadest sense, the design process does just that. It's a process that seeks out inefficiencies within a system or communication and focuses upon designing or redesigning an ideal solution, minimizing negative impacts, maximizing quality and efficiency, while making sure the solution is aesthetic and commercially viable.

Although my academic design knowledge has been focused on the fields of communication design, media and art, I have always been a spatial and practical learner. Science was my chosen area of study at the school level, and it was an undergraduate degree in architecture that I once wanted to pursue. However, it wasn't until the commencement of my undergraduate design studies 4 years ago, that I myself began to recognize my artistic abilities and my then budding love for the arts. Since then, design and other expressive art forms ï namely theater, film, fine and graphic art, photography and music ï have been at the core of my personal and academic development. Though I shifted course along the way, I today feel like I have only taken a different route to the same goal, which was always in mental sight.

I see the study of product design as the ideal way to combine my interest in 3 dimensional and spatial form with my background in design. The M.Sc. in Advanced Product Design program at the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff, is an idyllic opportunity to enhance my spatial and technical abilities and to learn the techniques, process and professional tools essential to a designer in today's competitive and fast paced world. This course is one of the few that would allow me to make up for my lack of present academic technical knowledge and thus open new doors, allowing me to pursue a career in the direction of my passion while honing my abilities. Studying at the UWIC would also give me an exposure to an international system and body of people, from whom there would be much to learn and collaborate upon. Overall, it would be an exciting and challenging experience through which I would definitely gain much academically, professionally, socially and personally - learn a few new things about myself.

It is also exciting to me that the course entails holistic and epistemological development. This is in accordance with my strong personal belief that knowledge is everything and, what we are is essentially what we know. Product design allows for us to take our knowledge of the world and create workable and viable solutions to problems with it in a variety of ways. I believe that this allows for creativity and individuality while also placing on the designer the responsibility of creating a piece of work that is not just functional and aesthetic but equally sustainable and ethical. As we move from an age of scientific discovery to an age of scientific mastery, I'd like to be a part of making our technology more efficient, more user-friendly and more available to the common man.

My past work and internship experiences have been in the fields of advertising, graphic and web design as well as branding and marketing. Today's product designer would need not only the abilities to conceptualize and manufacture a product but also the need to effectively package, brand, create an identity and market a product to the right segment of people. My study at UWIC would teach me the technical skills and train my spatial thought process, while allowing me to share my ideas and give input in terms of the latter half of the process, namely communication design, branding and advertising, among students from more technical backgrounds. During my study, I would aim to use my skills of sketching, drawing, photography, art and other computer generated design in collaboration with the new techniques that I acquire, such that each skill augments the other and truly original, innovative and skilled work can be achieved.

Before choosing a specific area of research, I would like to understand the product design process itself more thoroughly. Studying at UWIC would allow me to do this, and rapidly, with an exposure to the latest technology, research methods, development work and access to an inexhaustible knowledge base. I see this course as the perfect opportunity to combine my skills and background in art with my interest in spatial and technical design. It would be an opportunity best made use of.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Coherent and well-substantiated; one little Q: Why did you mention (but not explain why you didn't) not pursuing architecture as an undergrad?

Your last paragraph seems out of place to me. Could it not be integrated into the third para? This would help reduce duplication in the various parts on what UWIC will help you achieve (eg.

"My study at UWIC would teach me the technical skills and train my spatial thought process.")

Instead you should end with a wrap up of why you are ideal for the UWIC MSc. and incorporate your ideal achievement coming out of school. Any specific area of product design you are most passionate about?
You get this week's award for best new username.

You don't actually win anything, but if there was something to win for best username, you sure would win.

I think A. Smith's usenrmame comes from the name of a poet: Z. Linmark. Is that right? I can't remember if we talked about that...

Studying art and design during my undergraduate years has enhanced my well founded desire to understand and then fabricate a part of the world around us. --- Do you understand something and then and then fabricate it? I think you "understand a part of the world around us and then fabricate something new."

As I read the essay, I think you should take Stephen King's advice from On Writing and use fewer words. An essay does not get better when you add words; it gets worse. That's why Zen masters often use only a few words, I think!

It's a process that seeks out inefficiencies within a system or communication and ...--- rather than telling the reader what design is by relating a definition (which anyone can do) I challenge you to refer to the definition WHILE you make a unique point about your own personal philosophy of design. That's my challenge for you!

Before choosing a specific area of research, I would like to... I think this weakens the essay. You probably are excited about several areas of research, so instead of saying you are not ready to choose, say you have made several tentative decisions about which area to pursue.

:-)
OP somethingphishy 1 / 1  
Thank you linkmark. Although my second draft isn't here, i used your feedback.
I didn't explain about architecture because for fear of it becoming too long. But then i put it in and realized it added a much required personal touch.

Thanks Kevin, I checked the grammar and eliminated duplicating words and phrases along with the bit about choosing a research area. I incorporated, instead what broad area of design i'd like to specialize in and why. And you're totally right about fewer words.!

Cheers guys.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Hey Lee Dee,
Glad my "pointed" question helped you improve your essay. I sensed that there was a bigger reason for you to opt out of architecture, go into comm design/ media and now your decision to go (back) into product design. This added perspective helps make "you" more coherent.
autiedance - / 5  
I think this essay is very well written and coherent. I would suggest a better transition for paragraph two to three, I feel like something is missing before you start paragraph three.

Home / Graduate / It's a world that we have designed to suit our needs; SoP for M.Sc. product design