Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Erasmus - Track F Glocal - green consulting

Julyffff 3 / 5 1  
Hello,

I am applying for the Glocal Erasmus Mundus program. I would like to have some comments over my motivation letter to get more perspective before submitting. Thanks in advance :)

MOTTIVATION LETTER

I have a bachelor's degree in International Business that I obtained after four years of studies in Colombia, where I had academic experiences in international markets and environmental responsibility. Bearing in mind that my goal is to be able to work in Environmental Development Institutions and be a Sustainability Consultant to act as a preeminent impact partner, I would like to apply for the Master of Global Markets Local Creativities, track F.

Studying International Business during my undergraduate at the EAN University in Colombia; a university that has sustainability as a fundamental pillar in its curriculum, gave me a strong knowledge of sustainable entrepreneurship as a concept of integration between the economic, social and environmental that will certainly be useful in strategic directions as part of consultancies with a focus on sustainability. In my internship, while I was involved of the quality control process mitigation and monitoring project as part of the oil spill containment efforts team at Ecopetrol, I realised it is vital of carrying out an economic activity without endangering social life and without sacrificing natural resources by helping to build new businesses that lead to global sustainability efforts. This conception was reaffirmed while attending several Green Business seminars as part of the entrepreneurship classrooms at the university. Thus, the main reason I am keen on joining this program is to link up my previous studies in entrepreneurship and consulting with practical uses of sustainable development through the development of skills to solve strategic topics in sustainable corporate alternatives.

My genuine interest in consulting comes from when I was in college and as part of an academic project, I had the opportunity to participate in X-Culture, a global program in which students from around the world solved business problems for start-ups from distinct countries and market segments. By virtue of this, I understood that I could focus my future projects to work on solving corporate problems. However, my greatest interest in sustainability consulting came when I worked as an international representative and consultant for a Brazilian company that develops softwares for landscaping and irrigation. In light of the fact that those softwares allow designing irrigation and gardening systems in search of resource optimization, one of my challenges was to implement different tactics of entry to international markets in Latin America, including Chile and Argentina, countries that due to their geographical position have dry regions that require large irrigation systems to maintain their cultivation extensions in conjunction with an excellent maximization of water resources. Since then, I became aware that green-growth opportunities are leading the way and new models of resource efficiency are emerging at a rapid pace. Hence, to keep my efforts directed to consulting and to be able to participate in different projects, I joined the consulting club of the Federal University of CearĂ¡ in Brazil, where I play the role of consultant on different growth strategic plans for Brazilian StartUps.

I am looking forward to have the opportunity to learn from the modules Modern Natures: Conflicts and transformation, Sustainable development and trade and Actors and Strategies for change - Towards Global Sustainabilities, due to their interdisciplinary implementation of the close scrutiny of the relationship between economic history and environmental policies and their long-term impact on resource overexploitation and its external side effects. Similarly, with the Actors and Strategies change course, having the opportunity to analyze change strategies and be discussed as workshops in addition to having the possibility of working on a change project, will allow me to develop the skills and capacities necessary to put into practice what I learned in previous modules and is directly related to my future objectives.

There are emerging needs in Latin America for the responsible use of natural resources amid the continuous growth of the population and consequently, the growth of the construction industry in both urban and rural areas. In one of my trips through the ecotourism destinations of Colombia, I had the opportunity to participate in an excursion in the Andean and coffee region, where we were able to perceive the importance of the protection of hydrographic systems, both for the balance of ecosystems and to be able to continue with the ecotourism industry. Within the efforts of the community to safeguard the natural habitat, they designed rainwater channels within the natural reserves with a material called plastic wood, this material is composed of 60% wood and 40% polyethylene plastic, which makes it an ideal recyclable product that can be molded to the desired shape and is resistant against any type of climate, low temperatures and water, transforming it into an ideal material for the construction of houses and different types of architecture, but that is not recognized or used in the construction industry. As a topic for my Master's thesis I would like to be able to focus on how plastic wood can be a potential substitute for natural wood in the construction industry in Colombia, addressing my project to an optimization of the production chain, a development of go-to-market strategy and identifying opportunities for future applications.

Track F offers a perfect balance between theoretical knowledge and practical skills, which I believe will improve my research and critical thinking skills for problem solving as a sustainability consultant. Therefore, I am certain the Global Political Economy Master will give me the necessary knowledge to work in the Green Business Building and to pursue a PH.D. in this field.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing your response.
when I was in college and as part of an academic project

This aspect must be replaced. Refer instead of a local, national, or international business administration problem that influenced your decision to pursue this masters course. The explanation provided for the motivation must be based on professional experience already since the applicants to this program are expected to have a minimum of 2 years work experience. If your inspiration goes back to a college experience, then your credentials will have failed you as an applicant.

There are emerging needs in Latin America

This paragraph, when properly fevised, will make for an excellent local and national problem that influenced your decision or motivated you to apply for this specific course. Properly divided into 2 presentations, the other being the thesis project, the writer will have a pretty convincing academic and professional motivation basis.
OP Julyffff 3 / 5 1  
Thank you so much for your advices and efforts to put all together. Really appreciated it!

Home / Letters / Erasmus - Track F Glocal - green consulting