Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation letter for Erasmus mundus program in Applied Ecohydrology

Okpokwu 1 / -  
With utmost enthusiasm, I am writing to express my interest in the Erasmus Mundus Masters in Applied Ecohydrology. Over the last few years, I have developed passion for the aquatic environment, it's inhabitants and how they interact with their surroundings. Being raised in an environment where agriculture was the major source of livelihood, I have experienced the adverse impacts of pollution on streams and rivers, resulting in the degradation of aquatic habitat and loss of biodiversity. With the continuous and rapid increase in human population and global warming, there is a desperate need for the proper utilization of water resources and environmental/biodiversity protection and sustainability. Therefore, the efficient application of ecohydrological tools will forge an avenue for the implementation of good policies in agriculture, environmental and water resources management. My profound interest in this field inspired me to study fisheries and aquatic resources management for my undergraduate degree where I gained remarkable theoretical and practical skills.

My commitment to academic excellence and research is substantiated in my emergence in the top 1% of my graduating class, with a CGPA of 4.31/5.00 - (86%) and being a recipient of the prestigious award; Governor's Merit Prize for Outstanding Students in the Faculty of Natural Resources and Environmental Management of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Nigeria. During my undergraduate studies, I had exposure to courses like limnology and oceanography, aquatic ecology, climatology and biogeochemistry, environmental resuscitation and landscaping, soil science, and water quality management and pollution control, which sparked my interest further in ecohydrology as a career trajectory for advancing in this profession. In addition, an essential prerequisite to attain a bachelor's degree in fisheries and aquatic resources management is the industrial training which I carried out at the Nigerian Institute for Oceanography and Marine Research, Lagos, Nigeria. For the duration of my training, I was attached to some units like fisheries resources department, biotechnology department, aquaculture department, physical, chemical and biological resources department, where I acquired keen knowledge of the marine environment and it's resources. For my Bachelor's thesis, I researched on the impacts of agrochemical residues on a tropical lake ecosystem, where I acquired laboratory and analytical skills. The objective of the research was to assess the species of macro invertebrates present in the reservoir and to examine the effects of agrochemical pollutants on the abundance and distribution of these macro invertebrates. Furthermore, after my undergraduate studies and for my one-year mandatory National Youth Service, I worked as an aquaculture technician. Here, I was in charge of culturing more than 1.5 tons of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) from nursery tanks to grow out ponds and harvesting under optimal conditions in a recirculating aquaculture system. Due to my diligence, teamwork and problem-solving skills, I was retained and promoted to the role of assistant supervisor. Being the first female to hold this position in the unit, it was a bit challenging in the beginning. However, with hard work, dedication and the ability to tackle issues efficiently, I performed excellently and even increased the productivity of my unit by 10%. During the course of this service program, I was also deeply involved in community development activities and was a member of the Environmental Protection & Sanitation Group. This group seeks, among other objectives, to foster unity through environmental development and contribute to accelerated growth of the national economy. The rich experiences I garnered through my membership in this group equipped me for graduate study in many interdisciplinary fields.

As a young graduate with great potential, gaining my master's degree in Applied Ecohydrology from universities with impressive academic culture, with prominent researchers who will propel me to the zealous side of my long-term academic and professional goals and that is emerging as a renowned consultant in ecohydrology to both public and private institutions. I hope to gain profound knowledge of the concept integrated water resources management for water sustainability. I am confident that this programme will enhance my scientific writing skills, ability to design experiments, conduct hypothesis-driven research and prepare me for the tenacious full-time research in applied ecohydrology during my pursuit for a PhD degree.

Conclusively, the opportunity of building important connections within the vast and vibrant international graduate students' community in the MSc degree under Erasmus Mundus Program has made me want to study at these world-class universities. All these opportunities will create a suitable and supportive teaching and learning experience that will expose me to a well-rounded preparation for a successful future career. I therefore strongly believe that the skills and knowledge which I will acquire after this master's programme will put me on a sound footing in becoming one of the leading ecohydrologists that I aim to be. Due to previous experience and education, along with my avid interest for this course, I am confident that I will make significant contributions to the program and the society if given the opportunity.

Thank you for considering my application

Sincerely,
Chidinma Catherine Okpokwu
There are so many things wrong with this letter that I do not know where to begin. I guess I have to start somewhere though. So, okay. I'll start my review with the content of the motivational letter. A motivational letter should focus on your professional exposure, along with your personal insight, as to why you need to complete a masters degree. What it should not contain is an academic biography of your college experiences and academic awards. The awards and notations that matter in a motivational letter are those that already directly relate to your professional experience, be it in the form of seminars attended, recognition from the company, or research breakthroughs. All of which would inspire and motivate you to further develop your career

Home / Letters / Motivation letter for Erasmus mundus program in Applied Ecohydrology