Home / Letters % width Posts: 2

Motivation letter for MSc in Data Science.

supunchandi 1 / -  
Need an expert opinion about this. How to improve this.

Dear Members of the Admissions Committee,

I am writing to express my profound interest in the Master of Science in Data Science program at the University of Vienna. My academic journey began with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, majoring in Electronics and Telecommunication, from xxxx University in Sri Lanka. As I delved deeper into my studies, I became increasingly captivated by the realm of telecommunications, particularly its intricate interplay with Machine Learning and big data Optimization Methods.

My overarching ambition is to leverage the power of data science to drive meaningful insights and solutions in real-world applications. Throughout my academic journey, I've been drawn to the intersection of data science and artificial intelligence, which led me to undertake a final-year research project focusing on AI and IoMT. Working extensively with datasets during this project, I gained valuable experience in optimizing and filtering large datasets, uncovering the hidden capabilities and potential within them. This hands-on experience provided me with a profound appreciation for the vast opportunities that data holds and the incredible impact it can have. By leveraging advanced machine learning techniques and data optimization strategies, such as the Fast Fourier Transform, our project successfully automated the classification of heart sounds, marking a significant milestone in reshaping healthcare delivery. Presenting our findings at IEEE IAS GUCON 2021 and subsequently publishing them in IEEE further fueled my passion for data science and its transformative potential. These experiences have inspired me to pursue post-graduate studies in data science, where I aim to expand my expertise, collaborate with like-minded individuals, and contribute to solving complex real-world challenges through data-driven approaches.

In addition to my academic and professional endeavors, I have cultivated a deep appreciation for nature through my pursuits as an environmental explorer, fostering a profound sense of stewardship towards our environment. Furthermore, my active engagement in competitive swimming, cricket, and participation in extracurricular activities such as debating, media, and drama clubs has honed my discipline, resilience, and ability to perform under pressure, while also enriching my social life and enhancing my communication, creativity, and teamwork skills. Austria's stunning natural landscapes, with its majestic mountains, lush forests, and meandering rivers, captivate me. Since childhood, I've harbored a dream of playing in the snow, a dream that Austria can fulfill with its snowy vistas. This childhood dream fuels my desire to experience Austria's beauty firsthand and further explore its enchanting landscapes.

After researching various programs and research groups, I chose the Data Science master's program at the University of Vienna for two main reasons. Firstly, the program offers essential machine Learning courses, which I believe will build a solid knowledge foundation for anyone interested in research in this field. Additionally, I am attracted to the teaching style of the University of Vienna, which emphasizes updated knowledge and current topics in Data Science. Secondly, the University of Vienna boasts many leading professors in Data Science, ML, and Statistics, such as Prof. Dr. -Ing. Benjamin Roth, B.Sc. M.Sc. and Ass.-Prof. Dipl.-Inform.Univ. Dr.Christian Böhm. I have read numerous publications by Prof. Dr. -Ing. Benjamin Roth about machine learning and AI, and I am impressed by his clear and easily interpretable mathematical approaches. Thus, besides expanding my knowledge in the field, my motivation in applying to the University of Vienna is to have an opportunity to conduct research with these professors and pursue a Ph.D. program at the university.

The two-year MSc program offers comprehensive training, providing a solid foundation in systems, processes, and technologies while fostering creativity in problem-solving. I am eager to embark on this transformative journey and contribute to the vibrant academic community. Upon completing my studies, I aspire to leverage networking opportunities and university resources to secure positions with esteemed companies in Europe. Through this experience, I aim to apply my knowledge in developed countries, contributing to the creation of high-quality standards and products. Ultimately, I envision utilizing the invaluable experience, connections, and expertise gained to establish an IT company in Sri Lanka, advancing the country's role in sustainability initiatives. Please consider my application for admission to the master's degree course.

Thank you for considering my application.
Remove the reference to your academic training. Those are normally a part of a motivational letter. You should sell yourself on the merit of your current learning interests instead. You can omit those as these no longer relate to your future career plans. The reference to the professors in the motivational letter is a strong learning factor. However, you are not making the required connection with the professor reference. Being interested in reading about their work, and actually having the skills to participate in their current research are two different things. You cannot be interested to learn from them just because of what you have read. There needs to be a skills or interest commonality that can benefit from your motivation to learn from them.

Home / Letters / Motivation letter for MSc in Data Science.