Home / Letters % width   Posts: 3

Motivation Letter - MSc In Quantitive Finance ETH UZH

snane 1 / -  
1 day ago   #1
Dear Members of the Steering Committee,

I am applying for the Master of Science in Quantitative Finance, jointly offered by ETH Zurich and the University of Zurich, as it offers an ideal combination of advanced academic coursework and practical insights. This program aligns seamlessly with my career objectives by providing the quantitative and financial expertise necessary to excel in fields such as quantitative research, trading, and risk management.

My academic journey began with my enrollment in Civil Engineering at the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Raipur, after successfully clearing one of India's toughest examination AIEEE. During this period, I developed a deep understanding of advanced calculus, algebra, probability and statistics, matrix and vectors. Mathematics has always been my passion, and my consistent performance in high school and engineering reflects my inclination towards quantitative subjects. This interest naturally evolved into a desire to explore financial mathematics, as evidenced by my pursuit of an MBA in Finance from the Goa Institute of Management, where I specialized in derivatives, economics, fixed income, corporate finance, and asset pricing.

A significant turning point in my life was the tragic loss of my mother due to prolonged cancer. This personal experience taught me the value of financial importance and resilience-qualities that are essential in the finance industry. Managing emotions under pressure has since become a key strength of mine, one that I have leveraged throughout my professional career.

On the professional front, I have gained over two and a half years of experience working in the treasury and risk management domains at Arcesium (D.E. Shaw Group) and currently at Wells Fargo as an Assistant Vice President in Treasury, Interest Rate Risk In Banking Book (IRRBB). My responsibilities include liquidity risk, market risk, margin optimization, and interest rate risk modeling using the Hull-White model, which has provided me with hands-on exposure to both trading and banking portfolios. Furthermore, earning my FRM (Financial Risk Manager) charter and clearing CFA Level I reflect my commitment to continuous learning and deepening my knowledge in risk management and finance.

Alongside my professional journey, competing at the national level in lawn tennis and badminton has shaped my character, fostering discipline, resilience, patience, and ability to make critical decisions under pressure. These qualities have enriched my academic and professional pursuits, enabling me to excel in demanding environments. And to this day, I remain a passionate sportsperson with 15 years of experience in playing both sports.

The Master of Science in Quantitative Finance at UZH/ETH Zurich presents the perfect amalgamation of research, mathematical rigor, and practical finance applications that I am seeking. With its structured curriculum and potential for future research opportunities, I envision this program as the ideal platform to pursue my ambition of building a career in quantitative research /trading, risk management and mathematical finance. To further prepare for the challenges of the program, I have taken seminars in probability theory and numerical linear algebra from Baruch College, New York. Additionally, I have been following ETH Zurich's publicly available lecture notes on Introduction to Mathematical Finance to familiarize myself with the core concepts and tools used in the field.

I believe that my unique blend of engineering and finance qualifications, complemented by professional certifications and practical exposure, makes me a strong fit for this program. I am excited about the opportunity to collaborate with renowned faculty, engage with like-minded peers, and develop advanced skills that will contribute to both my professional and academic growth.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to the possibility of being a part of UZH and ETH Zurich's vibrant academic community and contributing meaningfully to the field of quantitative finance.

Sincerely,

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15258  
1 day ago   #2
My academic journey began

There is no helpful information in this paragraph. There is no proof of tertiary academic strength since you are not presenting your accomplishments in the form of honors and recognition received. All of which prove that you have a formidable academic foundation in relation to your MSc studies.

significant turning point in my life

Remove this part. The admissions committee is not interested in your personal drama. It does not help move the essay forward in any way. It does not respond to any written interview information or expectations.

I reflect my commitment

They do not need to know hour positions held. You should not be extending your resume in this discussion. Unless you can show how these responsibilities have helped you gain traction in the field and led to your decision to take the MSc overseas, then there is no reason to tell them about something they will read about in your resume anyway.
Anastasis_k 1 / 2  
1 day ago   #3
Hello,
- If there is a format that you have to follow, it would be helpful to give us this information for a complete evaluation of the essay.

- I will agree that your personal incident should be avoided. You try to prove a point, but I don't think that this is the right way.

- I would have written the fifth paragraph later. I think that there are more important things that should be mentioned first, such as your motivation for the MSc program (sixth paragraph).

Good luck with your application!

Home / Letters / Motivation Letter - MSc In Quantitive Finance ETH UZH
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: