Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation Letter - MSc In Quantitive Finance ETH UZH

sevesinaa 1 / -  
Content of the motivation letter as for a job application: why you want to do this master (interests, career path), why you qualify for it (strengths).

This is my motivation letter.

Dear Members of the Steering committee,
With this letter, I hereby wish to bring to your attention my strong interest in the Master of Science in Quantitative Finance offered jointly by the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich.

What guides me to this master's program choice is my passion and a natural predisposition for studying and researching quantitative subjects. I believe this opportunity will help me to fulfill my desire to pursue further work in such a fascinating field. Particularly, throughout my high school years, I developed a curiosity for economic and financial themes. Later, in 2019, driven by the same interest, I enrolled at the University of Milano - Bicocca to pursue my bachelor's degree in Economics for Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions, which I have completed with honors. In the context of my studies, I found the course of Statistics for Finance to be particularly engaging. I had the opportunity to apply the concepts learned in this course to my thesis by using the well-known GRS efficiency test on the S&P 500 index, combining economic theory and finance with mathematical methods.

I define myself as a committed student with a consistent drive to improve myself daily. I take every opportunity to learn a new skill or strengthen my network. In this regard, a great chance for me has been participating in the Erasmus+ Program at the University of Łódź, in Poland. This experience allowed me to explore a new international environment, improving my communication skills and "thinking out of the box". As an exchange student, I would describe flexibility and adaptability as keywords of my experience. Furthermore, I had another opportunity to experience an international context, this time in the business world field. Even though it was a brief experience, my internship at *bank name* in the Netherlands enriched my ability in prioritizing tasks, meeting deadlines, as well as juggling multiple tasks at once. Throughout my academic career, another important aspect of my life was volleyball: as a professional team player and captain, I learnt the importance of leadership and teamwork.

In your master's in Quantitative Finance, I am seeking a fresh challenge to continue my professional development in quantitatively oriented areas of the financial services industry. I believe a career in such a field is intellectually challenging because a significant part of the job involves solving tough problems under time constraints. Possibly, working as a quantitative analyst, I may be able to contribute greatly toward a positive development of the world. Overall, I am eager to push myself, step outside of my comfort zone, and employ a multitude of diverse perspectives on the topic of quantitative finance. Particularly, I am excited to participate in the CFA Investment Challenge during the third semester of your program because it will allow me to become acquainted with the work of a financial analyst.

Recognizing the strong IT components required in such professions, I have decided to hone my tech skills by working at Accenture plc, one of the leading companies specializing in IT services and consulting. Specifically, my current role is related to European regulation of the derivative market, further demonstrating my interest in financial topics. Working as a functional analyst helps me to acquire new capacities such as SQL knowledge, problem-solving, and being able to productively communicate with all profiles in a multidisciplinary team, which are fundamental features for both the academic and career paths I want to pursue.

Your program does not perturb me, but rather it inspires me. I see an excellent opportunity for high-quality academic training in Zurich, given its status as a financial hub and the program's structure that has been tailored and updated on industry needs. Moreover, attending a master's program from two of the most prestigious, competitive, and respected universities is my unparalleled opportunity to broaden my knowledge and professional outgrowth. Therefore, being an analytical thinker, fast learner, and extremely motivated person, I am confident I could be a valuable asset to your universities, and I would look forward to applying my knowledge and skills accomplished in your program.

I sincerely thank you for your time and I hope you will consider me for this remarkable opportunity.

Kindly regards,
You cannot decide anything at this point. However, you can hope to work for Accenture. Remember that you are not assured of being accepted into their office so you should not use such strong words in your presentation. Soften it a bit. By reading the overall letter, I can see that you have presented yourself based on the theoretical aspect of your skills. You should also try to present the skills that you have developed before and after your participation in the program. Can you try to shorten the letter to focus more on the skills you bring to the table? It is just a bit too long at this point, without really focusing on the required aspects.

Home / Letters / Motivation Letter - MSc In Quantitive Finance ETH UZH