Home / Poetry   % width Posts: 4

"Ode on a Grecian Urn" - Assisting in writing a regular ode poem.

glambition1010 1 / 1  
ode definition. A kind of poem devoted to the praise of a person, animal, or thing. An ode is usually written in an elevated style and often expresses deep feeling. An example is "Ode on a Grecian Urn," by John Keats.
Lbernal11 - / 4 3  
Just a few questions... how long does the poem have to be?
Also, is it supposed to follow a certain rhyme scheme?
I feel like the best way to go with ode poems, especially if you are not an experienced poet, is to write it in praise of a person. Poems can be challenging and I feel like if you write about someone you care about or love, it flows easier. I can help more if you answer those two questions. :-)
EF_Carol - / 145 39  
I wrote a poem about "Ode on a Grecian Urn" comparing the movie Frozen, to the characters in the poem. I agree with the other contributer, that if you write about a person it will be easier. I used a compare contrast in my own poem. This dictionary definition from the American College Dictionary is very helpful: a lyric poem typically of elaborate or irregular metrical form and expressive of exalted or enthusiastic emotion.

So write about something that you really like, a person, a place, a dream, a memory. Something which lifts you emotionally, something you can laude. You will be praising it.

Once you pick that subject, the form, if you look up the example by Keats, will assist you. It's not very hard. As I said, I've read it recently.

With those ideas in mind, you should be able to put together something suitable.

Thanks, for sharing.

ef_Carol
OP glambition1010 1 / 1  
It has to be a one 10 line stanza. Thanks.

Home / Poetry / "Ode on a Grecian Urn" - Assisting in writing a regular ode poem.