Home / Poetry   % width Posts: 2

Parker's "General Review Of The Sex Situation" VS Shakur's "Love Is Just Complicated"

hagirndt 1 / -  
I have been assinged a 750 word Comparison/Contrast essay on two poems. The two poems that I have chosen are Dorothy Parker's "General Review Of The Sex Situation" and Tupac Shakur's "Love Is Just Complicated". While I know that both of these poems about about love and how complicated it is, I'm having a hard time with any other similarities and differences. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This semester, you will choose two poems on similar subjects in order to write a compare/contrast essay of
750 words (minimum). The poems and poets are up to you; however, here are some 'possible ideas:
- Any two poems about poetry found between pages 794-796.
- Any two poems about parents found between pages 1038-1046.
- Any two poems about nature found between pages 1047-1053.
- Any two love poems found between pages 1054-1060.
- Any two ~ poems found between pages 1061-1072.
- Any two poems about sports, such as
o "Ex-Basketball Player" p. 930-31
o "Autumn Begins in Martins Ferry, Ohio" p. 881
o "To An Athlete Dying Young" p. 900-01
- Any two poems about animals, such as
o 'The Tyger" p. 1129
o "The Lamb" p. 1128
o "The Fish" p. 1125-26
o 'The Flea" p. 1149
The above list is just a guide. If you find another subject which interests you (perhaps education or politics or
transportation or depression or friendship or marriage ... ) , feel free to choose it. Poems can be found
inside your anthology or out; just be sure to cite appropriately. As part of your comparison/contrast, you will
need to analyze the structure and the message of each poem, showing how they are both similar and
different. In doing so, consider the following:
o VoiceV<
o Diction
o Imagery
o Figurative language
o Sound
o Form
o Symbol/allegory
o Theme
You may choose to discuss all of just SOME of these issues. See p. 817-818 in your anthology for more
.specific info. on each of these ideas, along with helpful questions to get started with your analysis.
It is not necessary to begin with a full summary of each poem; rather, a short (1-2 sentences) reference to
each work as necessary should suffice. Focus more on comparing/contrasting elements of the poem rather
than just telling what each poem is about.
The poems will be your primary sources; no secondary sources are required. I do want you, though, to
parenthetically cite from each poem at least twice in your text, for a minimum total of four parenthetical
citations. Be sure to include a "Works Cited" page which gives two entries-one for each poem.
Compose the text in current MLA format, in a formal, third person, literary present tense style.
VoiceV<
o Diction
o Imagery
o Figurative language
o Sound
o Form
o Symbol/allegory
o Theme

So Google one ofr these terms with the title of one of the poems. You'll find discussions of, for example, "imagery" as it is used in one of the poems.

All you need to do is write about one of these terms and one of the poems. Just write one sentence about one term. You can give a sentence about imagery on one of the poems, and then maybe use a quotation as an example. Just start by writing about one. Do that, and you'll soon have a paragraph about one of the poems.

Do the same for the other poem, and you'll have 2 paragraphs.

When you have written 5 paragraphs, add an intro and conclusion paragraph, and you will be all done!

In fact, after you have written 2 paragraphs about each poem, I think you will be able to write a whole paragraph just about sims and differences shown in those 4 paragraphs.

Good luck!! I hope you enjoy it!

Home / Poetry / Parker's "General Review Of The Sex Situation" VS Shakur's "Love Is Just Complicated"