Home / Research Papers   % width   Posts: 2

Anxiety VS College Students first draft

isabella05 1 / -  
Introduction

Sweaty palms, a racing heart, and a crippling fear of what comes next: all of these experiences are common symptoms of anxiety. Anxiety is a feeling that everyone can have, but for some people, it can become so frequent that it interferes with everyday life that it is regarded as a disorder. Although there are many different anxiety-related disorders, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is currently the most common, particularly on college campuses. Nonetheless, it's critical to acknowledge and comprehend the underlying causes of the anxiety that so many college students experience to create viable solutions for this problem. Anxiety is a condition that requires more study and discussion in educational settings because it tends to impair both general health and academic performance.

Background

When someone experiences persistent anxiety and finds it difficult to carry out daily tasks, they may be diagnosed with generalized anxiety. Most people with this disorder may have long-term difficulties with it, and various studies have shown that generalized anxiety disorder can interact with other mood or anxiety disorders. Some symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) include worrying about one's plans for the day, perceiving social situations as threatening, fearing making the wrong decision, having difficulty relaxing, and an inability to switch off. Different people may experience different physical symptoms, such as sweating, nausea, exhaustion, or even difficulty sleeping. Getting prescribed anxiety medication or participating in different therapies are two ways to help them manage their anxiety. Furthermore, a person with generalized anxiety disorder may experience difficulties in social situations or at work. In summary, anyone can be impacted by generalized anxiety disorder, so it's critical to know that support is available (Mayo Clinic).

Explanations for problems

The academic performance of college students can be adversely affected by anxiety. Anxiety can make it harder for students to concentrate in class or comprehend the material, which can hinder their academic progress. The author, Denise Egan Stack states, "Some experts believe that severe anxiety is a learning disability because it makes it much more difficult for a student to take in, process, and retrieve information" (Stack). As a result, college students with anxiety find it harder to complete their coursework than students without anxiety, which can lead to a student scoring poorly on an exam. If the student doesn't pass that exam, they might become more stressed out and become less motivated to study. Overall, anxiety has a detrimental effect on college students' academic performance, which can cause the student to become demotivated or stressed out.

Furthermore, anxiety may negatively impact other aspects of college students' mental health. Anxiety can lead to depression when a person feels alone or different from everyone around them and is unable to comprehend why they are feeling this way. According to Joel Brown's article, "Other warning signs are prolonged feelings of sadness or despair, excessive anxiety or panic, isolation or withdrawal from typical daily activities..." (Brown). Anxiety may contribute to a student's lack of motivation since they feel as though they must isolate themselves from social situations. Anxiety and depression are related because depressed individuals are frequently tense or worried, which can lead to anxiety. Anxiety generally has a detrimental effect on the mental health of college students, resulting in loneliness or depression.

Lastly, anxiety may negatively impact the social lives of college students. Social interactions are essential for students. Having a solid support system is crucial, particularly during college years when one is embarking on a new journey in life. However, students who experience anxiety may find it difficult to maintain this support network. According to Guojun Zhao's article, if a student feels their anxiety is worse in social interactions, "Individuals with higher levels of perceived social support face fewer mental health problems, such as anxiety, depression, and insomnia" (Zhao). A person suffering from anxiety may find it extremely difficult to get by and may be prevented from engaging in activities they enjoyed prior to their diagnosis, such as upholding relationships. A student's overall college experience is negatively impacted by anxiety, which results in decreased social interaction and anxiety.

Solutions

Medical interventions, such as contacting a person's doctor or therapist for support, following a prescription for meditation, or even making dietary changes, can all help reduce anxiety. Each of these options is unique to the individual; for example, cutting out caffeine or switching to a more nutritious, well-balanced diet are examples of diet changes. Simple meditation techniques include closing one's eyes, taking deep breaths, and keeping the mind clear. Finally, therapy could assist people who struggle with anxiety in talking about stressors or possible causes. All things considered, these methods are customized to meet the requirements of each individual and emphasize how critical it is to treat anxiety in all people. There are techniques to manage short-term anxiety, to elaborate on various methods of managing anxiety. Knowing various techniques to soothe someone during an anxiety attack is beneficial since it may help them relax for a short while. According to Caitlin Harper's article, there is a 333 rule for anxiety, in this exercise, name three things that can be seen, three things that can be heard, and three different body parts that can be moved, this "helps you manage an intense emotion by helping you get out of your head, steering your attention away from distressing thoughts, feelings, or memories and zoning in on the present moment" (Harper). Finding a way to temporarily calm oneself is a crucial first step that may help determine what can or cannot induce calm. All things considered, researching various therapies may help college students reduce their stress and control their anxiety.

In addition, there are numerous methods for calming an anxious person, which brings us to another discussion of medical interventions that may be used to manage anxiety. One method is to practice meditation, which lessens the body's innate reaction to stressful circumstances. There are many different techniques for focusing on breathing and relaxing during meditation. These techniques include mindfulness meditation, movement meditation, and visualization meditation. According to Mayo Clinic Staff, "During meditation, you focus your attention and eliminate the stream of jumbled thoughts that may be crowding your mind and causing stress." It is made clear by this quote that anyone can utilize meditation at any time of the day to help them relax. In summary, developing self-calming skills is crucial as it can truly help lower someone's health risk for anxiety, and elevate emotional well-being.it is easy and can be used anywhere. Furthermore, people ought to consider altering their dietary habits, which may entail abstaining from caffeine and alcohol and consuming nutritious foods. Making these adjustments could help you manage your anxiety gradually and enhance your general health.

Finally, one must prioritize getting enough sleep. Getting a good night's sleep, which includes avoiding electronics before bed, creating a sleep schedule, and skipping meals before bed, is a great way to improve your mental health. College students should aim for at least 7 hours of sleep per night. According to the CDC, those who experience anxiety may find it difficult to meet this recommendation. All things considered, incorporating techniques like meditation, food adjustments, and giving enough sleep to everyday tasks can lead to a more advantageous lifestyle and assist in naturally managing anxiety (Dermott). Medication is another tool that can help reduce anxiety. The following are just a few of the many drugs a patient's doctor may prescribe Ativan (lorazepam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Valium (diazepam), and Xanax (alprazolam); these drugs can all help stop panic and anxiety attacks in under 30 minutes. According to Melinda Smith, "Anxiety medications can ease symptoms, but they're not right for everyone and they're not the only answer" (Smith). Not everything can be fixed by medication and taking it can have several negative effects. Increased anxiety, despair, or insomnia are a few examples; however, for certain people, medicine is the most effective way to reduce anxiety. Medication is not the only way to reduce anxiety, but it can help some people manage their attacks.

Finally, finding out what accommodations the school provides for disabilities may be another way to help manage anxiety. For students with disabilities, numerous US schools provide a range of resources. According to Northern Arizona University Disability Resources, "Information on the impacts of physical (mobility, dexterity, endurance, etc.), perceptual, cognitive (attention, distractibility, communication, etc.), and behavioral abilities may be helpful as well." College students at Northern Arizona University College can request accommodation for a variety of illnesses and disabilities, and depending on their condition, they may receive different accommodations. Students diagnosed with anxiety may be given extra time to study, be allowed to go alone in a room to avoid distractions and have many other benefits. In general, college campuses are aware of the mental and physical challenges faced by students and are eager to assist.

To wrap it up, medical interventions can help control anxiety. These include seeing a doctor or therapist, changing one's diet, and practicing meditation. Medication, diet modifications, and making sleep a priority are additional strategies for managing anxiety. To support students with disabilities, schools can also provide accommodation such as extra time for exams and room independence. In general, everyone needs to deal with anxiety, and implementing these techniques into everyday activities can lead to a more advantageous way of a better life for anxiety.

Conclusion

Many college students suffer from anxiety, which can cause them to become tired, restless, and irritable in both their social and academic lives. Medication, counseling, and consulting therapists are some possible solutions. Resources for stress management are available on college campuses, but it's important for students to understand that they are not alone in this struggle against anxiety and that it's acceptable to not feel okay.

Works Cited

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15208  
Maybe consider focusing on the audience for the research paper and the pool from which the test results will stem from within the introduction and background? The information in those sections are too generalized and do not connect with the actual research focus of the paper, college students. It is important that the reader be on track from the very first section of your paper so that he can fully understand the focus and reason that this paper is important for the study of anxiety in college students. Use examples to drive your point home in the introduction and the background. Those sections should capture and hold the attention of the reader, which it does not really do a good job of at the moment.

Home / Research Papers / Anxiety VS College Students first draft
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: