Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Breaking the Perception of Pit Bulls

plf5513 1 / -  
Pit Bulls have been identified as an aggressive dangerous breed to many Americans for decades. Most of what people know about this breed, either from the media or a bias informer is incorrect. The media will also amplify the new like in this example, "When an Arizona woman was killed by one or more dogs identified as Labrador retrievers, one local newspaper reported the story. But that same year, when a California man was killed by one or more pitbulls, the incident was reported "by at least 285 media outlets, both nationally (in 47 U.S. states) and internationally (in eight other countries). MSNBC, Forbes, USA Today, Fox News, CBS News, and ABC News all picked up the story."( Holland) The media has created this perception of pitbulls to the public, scaring them with their exaggerated stories that target this breed. In order to change the public's view on pitbulls facts about the breed, their temperament, and care of these dogs will need to be revealed.

The line between fact and fiction has become blurred when it comes to pitbulls and the many myths following them. Pitbulls have been portrayed to be scary dangerous dogs compared to any other breed, but this is not the reality of these loving dogs. As an example, "For most of the 114 years since the American pitbull terrier was first recognized by the United Kennel Club, the breed was rightly seen as the perfect "nanny dog" for children because of its friendly nature, loyalty and stability." (Holland)

In addition, the UKC, which test dogs on their behavior, stated, "that pitbulls "have always been noted for their love of children," but aren't "the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers." (Holland) These test show that these dogs are good family dogs and are not dangerous like the media makes them out to be. Even though the media has painted a false picture for these dogs, may studies are coming out to provide the public the correct information on the breed.

Even with all the studies on pitbulls out there now, they do not address all the myths out there. Many myths about pitbulls generically having lockjaw have illustrated this breed to be dangerous. However, "Contrary to popular myth, pitbulls do not have "locking jaws".[35] There is no physiological "locking mechanism" in the jaw muscle and bone structure of pitbulls or other dogs." (Pit Bull) It is hard to determine when and how this myth started, but facts are that the pitbull jaw is not any different than any other dog.

The temperament of this breed is commonly known to be aggressive and dangerous naturally, but this is incorrect. Studies have proven that there is no way to determine if a certain breed is more aggressive or dangerous than any other. "Breed is a poor sole predictor of dog bites. Controlled studies reveal no increased risk for the group blamed most often for dog bites, 'pit bull-type' dogs." (Dog Bite Risk and Prevention) Also a test conducted in 2011 showed that pitbulls are not aggressive, skittish, and can tell the difference from someone threatening and someone who is not. "Pitbulls are the second most tolerant breed tested by ATTS, after only golden retreivers." (Holland) "The dogs are tested for skittishness, aggression and their ability to differentiate between threatening and non-threatening humans. Among all of the breeds ATTS tested - over 30,000 dogs through May 2011 -- 83 percent passed the test. How did pitbulls do? They showed an above average temperament, with 86 percent making the grade." (Holland) The statistics do not lie, these dogs are not going to be aggressive or unpredictable. With so many different studies on the temperament of this breed, it is hard to believe that people still believe these dogs to dangerous.

With so many different studies on the temperament of this breed, it is hard to believe that people still believe these dogs to dangerous.
There are pitbull owners that do not take proper care of their pitbulls, which gives the pitbulls a bad rap, but then there are the responsible owners that do take proper care of their pitbull and you can see the difference in behavior. Any behavior problems a pitbull can demonstrate can be directly connected to its owner and how they cared for and trained their dog. "Owners of stigmatized breeds are more likely to have involvement in criminal and/or violent acts47, so apparent 'breed correlations' may be due to patterns in owner behavior." (Dog Bite Risk and Prevention) "They say the dogs are not inherently aggressive, but in many cases suffer at the hands of irresponsible owners drawn to the dog's macho image who encourage aggression for fighting and protection." (Babcock) The dogs that have acted in a violent manner is due to the way the owner has cared for them. These dogs are unfortunately abused in many cases, but if they were in a good home, they would not have turned out to be aggressive.

When a pitbull has a responsible owner that cares for it and trains it, this breed can be a loyal, loving, and caring family dog. Just like any dog breed out there if you care for the dog and take care of it, the pitbull can be a great companion. "Because of their dependence upon humans, pitbulls respond well to positive reinforcement training and praise-they want to impress you by learning new tricks and showing submissive behavior." (Bastian) A well-socialized and well-trained pitbull is one of the most delightful, intelligent, and gentle dogs imaginable." (Position Statement on Pit Bulls) These dogs just want to be loved and cared for; this is what they long for. These dogs just want to be loved and cared for; this is what they long for. It is sad that because of how the owner abused their pitbull, this breed is pinned as the bad one.

Pitbulls have been treated unfairly in society due to what the public thinks they know about this breed. Most reports about Pit Bulls will only show the amount of attacks, but leave out how many of those dogs were beaten by their owners, trained to attack, left outside all their lives not knowing how to be around people and other animals. It is important to educate people about Pit Bulls in order to change their opinion on the breed. A pitbull may be the right breed for their family but people will not know unless they see the truth behind the breed. In order to change the public's view on pitbulls facts about the breed, their temperament, and care of these dogs will need to be revealed. The more people that can be informed about the facts, the more likely these dogs will be treated right and will no longer be outcasts.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Lisa, welcome to the team :) This website is a suitable place to improve your writing skill. I hope you find that my feedback will be fruitful towards your writing development. However, it is actually suggested to separate each paragraph by giving 1 space (1 enter) to ease us in reading or checking your essay. I hope next time you're going to do that.

With regards to your essay, first, I think you need to be consistent in writing the central subject of your discussion in your research. For example, when you are writing 'Pit Bulls', you need to make sure it stays the same for the whole essay. It is unfortunate that you randomly changed the words 'Pit Bulls' to pitbull or pitbulls. Second, in this sentence "But that same year...", you've used 'but' in the beginning of the sentence. This is not recommended for a formal essay or a research paper. Using FANBOYS (For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So) make your essay becomes less formal or not an academic one. Third, you need to know that a research paper needs reference(s) or citation(s) to be mentioned to avoid plagiarism. Unfortunately, you forgot to mention any of them.

That's it Lisa, I hope you can follow through my feedback above. Good luck in revising this essay :)
Hi Lisa, indeed WELCOME to the Essay Forum Family, it's always good to welcome yet another member of this absolutely educational website.

Now, as I read through the paper which I understand is a draft, I must say it is a researched that is done halfway, Im not sure if this is because this is just a draft or you haven't really figured out how to present your work. Indeed, a research paper should have the following points;

- the introduction, where you introduce the meaning, the purpose as well as the goal of the research

- the body, where you showcase different views, ideas and informations gathered through your research.

- the conclusion, where you summarize and conclude the findings of your research.

Last but definitely not the least, you own pint of view, showcasing your own opinion towards your idea of the subject at hand. Aside form this observations, I would also like to stress that as much informative as your research is, you also have to make mention of the works where you derive your findings, this is what you call citation, this is very crucial as it is the backbone of your paper. I hope to see the final structure of your work very soon.

Home / Research Papers / Breaking the Perception of Pit Bulls