Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Cancer and ways of beating it.

JWarschauer11 1 / 1  
Reproductive cancers come in many different types but all have one thing in common, they are very easy to overlook and who's symptoms are those in which can be mistaken for many other things. Cervical cancer is one of the many types of female reproductive cancers. It is a cancer that develops in the cervix and is a very slow spreading cancer who's development can not be seen without having a Pap Smear test performed. This type of cancer is caused by Human Papilloma Virus and can also be caused from having sex with multiple partners or having sex at a young age. There are four stages of cervical cancer, each stage progressively getting worse as it spreads to more areas and becoming harder and less likely to treat. Cervical cancer can be treated if caught at an early stage and can be treated using surgery, radiation, or having a hysterectomy. There are a few ways of preventing the development of this type of cancer. First off, knowledge plays a huge role in prevention. If one knows the way in which to prevent it she will be more likely to stay free from cervical cancer. Practicing safe sex, getting regular Pap smear screenings, or getting the HPV vaccination 'Gardasil', are all ways in which one can go about preventing the occurrence of this type of cancer. Today, the prevalence of this cancer in the United States is decreasing due to more people taking precautions and having the resources of prevention. Unfortunately, as the rate in the U.S. is decreasing, the rates are continuing to rise steadily in less developing countries. Some of these countries can be found within "...Central America, Southern Africa, the Caribbean, Africa, South America, and South Eastern Asia." (Krammetter). Although this cervical cancer can be cured, barriers against prevention such as money, religious beliefs, and lack of resources are a leading factor in decreasing women affected by this epidemic.

Cervical cancer is a type of cancer that affects women all over the world. The countries that have the highest rate and the most deaths caused by it are those countries in which are less developed and who do not have the resources to prevent it. Prevention is the biggest aggressor in the fight against cervical cancer. If these countries could place the prevention of cervical cancer on a higher pedestal, their rates of cervical cancer would decrease dramatically. According to the Gynecologic Oncology Journal, " If given to a woman before exposure, a vaccine against HPV can decrease cervical cancer risk by up to 70%."(Massad, 364). This just shows that just with the vaccine alone, the chances of cervical cancer can be decreased dramatically by getting vaccinated. Getting Pap Smears regularly is also very important since that is the only way cervical cancer can even be detected. It is important to get them regularly because that way if the cancer does start to develop your doctor will be able to find it and treat it as soon as possible. Although, this may be hard for some people who are finding it hard these days to make ends meet when dealing with the healthcare system, but it is something that should not be taken lightly especially for those who are sexually active. Promoting safe sex and educating the public is an inexpensive way in which a country can prevent their women from developing any cancer, especially cervical cancer, since it is caused mainly by unsafe sexual behaviors.

India is a perfect example of what many countries are facing in terms of cervical cancer status and treatment. According to the Indian Journal of Medical Research, "The burden of cervical cancer in India is enormous accounting for about 20 percent of all cancer related deaths in women and is the number one cause of death in middle aged Indian women."(Basu, 241). This high rate of cervical cancer cases in India may be caused from a few things. One, the prevention and treatment of cervical cancer, "...is not yet among the top ten National health priorities in India."(Basu, 241). Another reason for the high rates of cervical cancer is not having the adequate resources available to have Pap Smears available to the women of India. As stated before, having this screening done regularly is necessary in the fight against cervical cancer. Without these tests, women do not know they have developed this cancer, and do not get medical attention until they show signs or symptoms, which at that point means that the cancer has developed into a higher stage and is less likely to treatable. India does not have the access to the HPV vaccine, Gardasil, and because of this they are at a huge setback compared to other countries like the U.S. Researchers suggest that the, "Introduction of HPV vaccine...is likely to reduce substantially the number of abnormal Pap smears, number of follow ups due to low grade abnormalities...and number of treatments for cervical pre cancers."(Basu,243). This shows that having this vaccine in India will help the women not have to get Pap smears and go to the doctors as often and will be a huge tool in the prevention of cervical cancer.

Reasons why India has such a high prevalence of cervical cancer cases and deaths may be potentially related to the barriers that this country has to face. These barriers include personal and religious beliefs against the HPV vaccine, finances, and overall knowledge of this and other types of cancers. On the lines of personal and religious beliefs of Indian families, this vaccine is targeted toward HPV which is a form of an STI. In some Indian families it is believed,"...that girls from good families do not require such protection."(Basu,244). With this thought, "Some parents may get concerned that if they give consent for administering HPV vaccine to their daughters that may convey a 'no objection to sex' message to them."(Basu,244). This country does not have access to those kinds of funds since again, cervical cancer is not considered a "health priority" in India.

Rates of cervical cancer mortality are also very high among Colombian women. In Colombia prevention program has been implemented for cervical cancer, but still their rates are as high as those places who lack such programs. Research shows that, "Between 2000 and 2004, an average of 2918 annual deaths due to cervical cancer was reported by DANE (National Department of Statistics). The proportion of women undertaking a conventional cervical cytology once a year was 47.5%. Only 13.7% of the women interviewed have never had a pap smear." (Piraquive, 273). This shows the importance of not only getting the proper screenings annually but to get follow ups after the screening if anything abnormal appears. If something is seen to be abnormal during your screening it should be made a women's first priority to get it checked out. Because cervical cancer can not be seen or felt other than through the process of a Pap Smear, you should be in close communication with your doctor at all times if anything seems to be going wrong. Especially because the symptoms for cervical cancer are not distinct and can be misinterpreted for something like the stomach flu or an irregular period, all of which every woman in the world goes through on almost a regular basis. One main reason that many women do not get follow up appointments after an irregularity is found, is due to lack of health insurance coverage. For the wealthy, it is a matter of choice if they are going to get the necessary follow up appointments since they will most likely have an insurance plan that covers that exam. For the lower class, medical coverage is already a hard thing to come by so getting the coverage for just the screening is good enough for them. If there is no coverage for the follow up then the chances of them receiving such treatment is out of the question.

Although mortality rates due to cervical cancer are decreasing in the United States, the Latina population in the United States is struggling with high mortality rates. "When Latina immigrants were interviewed about their beliefs regarding the role of sexual activity in cervical cancer, most participants had limited knowledge about cervical cancer and no knowledge about HPV."(Flores, 1937). Knowledge is the key factor in preventing cervical cancer and being oblivious to it is how many people will contract it. It is very important to know the dangers of HPV and other STI's before engaging in sexual behaviors. Many believe that a Pap Smear should only be done when you feel some kind of symptoms but in reality it is something that needs to be done annually even if you feel as if nothing is wrong. A barrier that may be a result of Latina women having a higher rate of cervical cancer is a language barrier. "Latinas with high English proficiency were almost twice as likely as Latinas with low English proficiency to receive a recommendation for a Pap smear from their healthcare provider."(Flores, 1938). Reasons for this statement may be the fact that because they do not understand English speaking doctors it is hard for them to know what a doctor suggests they do. Another reason may be a lack of trust in the doctor since they are unable to understand and speak to them. Another barrier that can be imposed could be,"Low income, lack of medical insurance, and medical costs."(Flores,1938). Those who are not insured or do not have insurance plans with good coverage would most likely avoid getting these tests done. Many programs have been initiated to aid in these disparities among Latina women. "Federal initiatives, such as the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP), provide funding for Pap screening, increase awareness in target communities, and facilitate access to healthcare."(Flores,1939). Such programs will educate Latina women about HPV and cervical cancer in hopes to decrease their rate of mortality due to cervical cancer.

There are many reasons that the United States has a declining rate of cervical cancer cases, but still we are not completely in the clear of cervical cancer. Fortunately for us, we have access to many resources that can protect us against cervical cancer that many other places in the world do not have. One of these resources we have is the HPV vaccination, Gardasil, that will protect us from contracting HPV and will lower our risk of developing cervical cancer. I have heard of many college campuses giving out the vaccine at the health centers and they are making it really easy for students, who may not be insured, to have access to this important vaccination. Another important resource that we have in the United States is the knowledge of such STI's and cancers. We are taught at an early age about the infections that can be contracted when you are sexually active and we are also taught the importance of practicing safe sex. Many other countries have no knowledge of such infections and because of this do not know the necessary precautions that one should take to protect themselves. Pap smear screenings are also much more accessible in the United States due to the technology and financial securities that our healthcare system is so fortunate to have. The United States also has resources such as Planned Parenthood who generously gives birth control, condoms, or even Pap smear screenings to those who can not afford to go to the doctor's office for these things. It is organizations like this that help our country in the fight against STI's or treatments for those who have them.

Reproductive cancers such as ovarian, testicular, prostate, and cervical are all cancers that need to be focused more on worldwide. Knowledge is the best kind of protection against these types of cancers and is something that does not cost a thing. Teaching others ways in which to prevent and help reduce the risk of these types of cancers from effecting you or a loved one is something that should not be overlooked. Preventing cervical cancer can come in many forms, whether it be from teaching someone about HPV, getting annual Pap smear screenings, practicing safe sex, or getting the HPV vaccine, there should be no reason that one should pass up the opportunity to do at least one of these things to reduce the risk of contracting cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is a cancer that can be treated if caught early enough so it is smart to stay on your toes and make sure that you maintain and keep up with your health. Unfortunately, cervical cancer is a worldwide epidemic and not every country is fortunate enough to have the resources to prevent it, therefore causing high mortality rates among women in many countries. For example, Indian women, African women, and even Latina women living in the United States, all claim that cervical cancer takes the lives of many of their women each year. All of which can be traced back to not having the proper economic resources needed to aid in the prevention and treatment of cervical cancer. Places such as Colombia who do have the resources to fight cervical cancer, still have a high mortality rate due to the lack of follow ups after abnormalities are found during a Pap smear screening. Programs that the UK has developed in spite of economic troubles, just to help women become more educated on the topics involving cervical cancer and to turn their mortality rates from high to low is something that British women should be very thankful for. All of this information can all be brought back to home, to the United States, a place where cervical cancer rates have finally reached a turning point and are decreasing day by day due to all of the resources we are lucky to have to prevent and treat cervical cancer. Women all over the world need to stand up against cervical cancer and show it that if we are educated about it, we will know how to prevent it, and can catch it and treat it before we allow it to take over and take any more precious lives than it already has.
they are very easy to be overlooked

------ or else; " they can be easily overlooked"

and who'stheir symptoms are those in which can be mistaken for many other things.

First offof all , knowledge and awareness plays a hugegreat role in prevention.

If one knows the wayprevention methodsofin which to prevent cerviacal cancer it she will be more likely to stay free from cervical cancer.

Home / Research Papers / Cancer and ways of beating it.