Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 4

Getting started on my compare and contrast essay on Budhissm and Hinduism

waldo01 6 / 19  
Hi,

I'm a homeschooled student and im having a hard time coming up with an intro to my hindusim and Budhissm essay. I have never written this type of essay before and not sure how to get started. Please help me.

I just started with this and this is all i have:

Hinduism and Buddhism are two of the most greatest and profound religions around the world. Both religions originated in India and thus have similar roots and beliefs.

I have my similarities and differences:

Similarities:
I want to talk about how both believe in reincarnation
and i have more can someone please help me :)
adamkeane - / 1  
In your introduction you should introduce the religions of Hinduism / Buddhism - you've started to do this by describing them as the "greatest and profound". You need to build on this statement and explain why they are profound and what makes them great.

You might want to include in your introduction

Who founded the religion? Where the religion was founded? Whether they believe in the existence of God? What does salvation mean to them? - In answering these questions you will find some more differences and differences between the two religions.

Another thing you should do before writing is make sure your familiar with the religions your writing about... the best way to do this, in my experience, is to read about them - Kim Knott is a religious scholar who provides a good but very short introduction to Hinduism

I love religious studies so if you have any other questions then please don't hesitate to ask

Good look with the essay

Adam
OP waldo01 6 / 19  
Thank you guys so much . I started the intro and yes if it's possible i would like further help in this essay. The part I'm really confused on is this in my essay they asked in all my 3 body paragraphs that this should be the structure:

reference to two accurate,relevant, and specific facts about Buddhism
reference to two accurate,relevant, and specific facts about Hinduism
Reference to accurate and relevant similarities
Reference to accurate and relevant differences

Here's what is confusing about this structure i don't know what to write especially since im confused are those facts about Buddhism and Hinduism supposed to be related to the differences and similarities or are they random. Here is my intro so far and if u guys can please help me in writing it tht would be great.

Hinduism and Buddhism are two of the most greatest and profound religions around the world. Both religions originated in India before the Common Era and hold ranks as being among the top five major religions around the world, thus, have similar roots and beliefs. Hinduism and Buddhism are alike in many ways and this is evident in many of their practices, beliefs, concepts, and traditions. For example, both Buddhism and Hinduism believe in the concept of Karma which states that all of the thoughts, words, deeds, and actions in this life will affect both our present and future life states. Others examples include that both believe in Samsara, the continuous cycle of birth, life, death, and reincarnation and they both practice traditions such as mediation. Even though Buddhism and Hinduism are alike in many ways, however, they both contrast greatly with each other in many things especially social structure. Also, they greatly contrast in sacred texts, deities, and concepts.

How do u guize think i did so far?
OP waldo01 6 / 19  
Hey Guys okay so i finished 2/3 of my essay it is sorta long.Please correct it for any spelling mistakes and grammer. I hope you guys enjoy it. Please be harsh as possible and also shoul i cut it down a bit it seems a little bit long and if so please help me cut the parts that are unnecessary. :)

Hinduism and Buddhism are two of the most greatest and profound religions around the world. Both religions originated in India before the Common Era and hold ranks as being among the top five major religions around the world, thus, have similar roots and philosophies. Hinduism ranks 3rd as an organized religion and is much older than Buddhism. Hinduism and Buddhism have survived for centuries and today our widely practiced around the world. Hinduism is considered monotheistic as they believe in the idea of cosmos being one in which god takes a variety of forms and manifestations, whereas, Buddhism is considered non-theistic, that is not having a belief in God. Hinduism has no known founder as it dates back so far in history that it was impossible to find one, while, Lord Buddha (known as Siddhartha Gauthama before becoming an enlightened one), was the founder of Buddhism. Buddhism is based on the teachings of Lord Buddha had been a Hindu before attaining Nirvana, and therefore you find many similarities and differences in certain Buddhist and Hindu beliefs and concepts, traditions and practices, and sacred texts.

Buddhism and Hinduism share some differences and similarities in beliefs and the practice of mediation. Hinduism is believed to have no known founder, no central authority, no universal texts and no widely known creed but it has a caste system. They believe that everyone has their place in the world and they cannot over step their roles. On the other hand, Buddhism is viewed more like or philosophy and not a religion. Due to this thinking it put everyone on equal grounds. The caste system is one of the core beliefs of Hinduism. The caste system is a type of social structure which divides individuals in classes on the basis of inherited social status. The caste system divides the Hindu individuals into four major classes, the Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaishya, Shudra, and "untouchables," also referred to as the Dalits. The individual in each class has a religious duty or dharma to contribute in, to maintain an orderly society. In contrast, Buddha strongly disagreed with the Hindu caste system. He believed the caste system was unjust and that there should not be a difference in the classes of people. This gave everybody an equal chance. Despite their differences and beliefs, Buddhism and Hinduism are alike in many ways and have had a great influence on each other throughout the centuries. Similarly, both religions practice mediation which they believe it will bring them closer to nirvana. In Hinduism, the worshipper chants repeatedly the syllable "OM" to concentrate and to reach another level of consciousness while mediating. Through mediation, the individual searches for a deeper awareness and connection to the sacred by practicing this focusing technique. Hinduists believe that by chanting this sacred syllable it will bring them closer to the Ultimate Reality and within proximity of the essence of true knowledge. Buddha was enlightened thorough deep mediation. It was while he was in deep mediation that Buddha reached enlightenment and understood the existence of Dharma. He preached that in order to reach nirvana was through the inward reflection and insight that is associated with mediation. Therefore, Hinduism and Buddhism greatly contrast on social structure but both religions use mediation in order to reach nirvana.

Buddhism and Hinduism share some differences and similarities in the concept of rebirths and differ greatly on sacred texts. In Hinduism, Hinduism believes in the efficacy and supremacy of the Vedas. On the other hand, Buddhist did not believe in the supremacy of the Vedas or in fact any other Hindu scriptures. The Vedas are Hinduism scriptures found in the Smriti writings. The Vedas were the earliest scriptures dating back to the time of the Aryans. The Vedas are divided into 4 distinct collections: The Rig-Veda, Yajur Veda, Sama-Veda, and Atharva-Veda. The Vedas contain over 1000 hymns, the words of ritual sacrifice, and mythical stories about the gods. Vedas also talk about with the methods of blood and non-blood sacrifice; details of domestic ritual; and an explanation of the deeper meaning behind sacrifice. The Vedas tell stories and hymns that explore similar themes with other religions like maintaining balance and order in the universe. Lord Buddha did not follow the Vedas at all as Buddhism had their own canon of scriptures called the Tripitaka meaning "three baskets" which highlighted Buddha's teachings. The Tripitaka contained Vinaya Pitaka, the Sutta Pitaka, and Abhidhamma Pitaka. Both Hinduism and Buddhism believe in the concept of Samsara that life is an endless cycle of births, deaths, and rebirths. Hindus believe that life is cyclical, with no beginning and no end. They believe once we die in this world, we become reborn into another life in a different physical form. This could be in a form of a plant, human, or animal. Hinduists believe that the purpose of successive rebirths is to permit an individual to learn without divine interference, about how an individual should live, according to their personal dharma. In addition, they believe that how an individual lives to this responsibility will decide the standing of future rebirths. Similarly, Buddhists believe in this concept of rebirths as well. They believe that unless an individual is enlightened, one would be reborn again and again through many cycles and the only way to escape from this cycle of rebirths/Samsara is to reach nirvana. Thus, Hinduism and Buddhism differ greatly on sacred texts but they both believe in the process of Samsara.

Home / Research Papers / Getting started on my compare and contrast essay on Budhissm and Hinduism