Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Know When to Stop Before You Start The Gambling Addiction

spelkey 1 / 3 1  
Short Summary...Rough draft Research paper. Please help with any suggestions.

Know When to Stop Before You Start

The Gambling Addiction

Sheila Pelkey
Professor Banks
ENG102
October 29, 2018

Pelkey 1

Thesis:Research show that gambling is an addiction that can destroy people's lives. The attraction to the gambling addiction.

Know When To Stop Before You Start
Gambling is defined as the wagering of something of value, usually money, on the outcome of an event or game. It is an addiction and appears to be glamorous to some people, but this is an addiction that can affect your physical, psychological, social and vocational area of life It can also have negative effects on your life if you become addicted. According to Medically reviewed by Timothy J. Legg, PhD, CRNP on June 14, 2016 - Written by Mara Tyler "If left untreated, a gambling addiction can negatively affect your financial situation, relationships, and other aspects of your life."

Below are some statistics on Gambling:
1.It is estimated that 80% of Americans gamble at least once a year.
2.15% of Americans gamble at least once a week.
3. It is estimated that when people visit the casino approximately 68% of those who gamble play the slot machines most often.
4. Forty-eight states have legalized gambling.
5.Gambling is a $450 billion-dollar industry in the United States.

Pelkey 2
6.Indian gaming is a $38 billion dollar plus business a year.
7.Research show that approximately 2-3 percent of Americans have a problem with gambling, or a gambling addiction.
8.Surveys taken show about 2 million people in the United States are addicted to gambling.

There are many different forms of gambling which are legal. Some examples of these are lottery tickets, casinos, betting on sports games, etc. They now also have on-line gambling that can be accessed in the comforts of your own home. This may include free games to play on line as well as actual on-line gambling sites. As I have been researching the gambling addiction I have found the most popular forms of gambling to be the casino games such as slot machines, black jack, craps, roulette, poker and bingo. There are many places around town that are legally able to host bingo. I have noticed when playing bingo many people have trolls' trinkets or other special things set out to help them have good luck. Slot machines, black jack and the other forms of gaming are not legally played in most cases outside of the casinos. They say your best odds would be at the table games verses the slot machines. You must be at least 18 years old to gamble legally.

Ferris Jabr is an associate editor at Scientific American.Ferris Jabor describes how gambling and the brain are associated. This information touches on the feeling you experience while gambling.

Pelkey 3

Why you continue to lose money, because you think you will win it all back. "I wanted to gamble all the time," she says. "I loved it-I loved that high I felt.". The way chemicals are balanced in the brain. The brain changes as an addiction develops. A

series of circuits known as the "reward system" link various brain regions involved in memory, movement, pleasure and motivation. When we are enjoying an activity, our neurons release a chemical called dopamine to induce euphoria. These are hormones that are affected in the brain while gambling and make us want to continue this behavior.

In the psychiatric community gambling is treated as a compulsive disorder rather than an addictive disorder. This is a behavior that is motivated to relieve anxiety. In this article Christian Norquist addresses the symptoms, diagnosis, triggers and treatments of the gambling addiction. The many ways people become addicted. It may be because of a death in the family, stress, loneliness, anxiety. You may feel you are very lucky and will win money to pay off debts. If you are a child of a gambler you can also follow in those footsteps. Christian also addresses the triggers that make people want to gamble.

Triggers such as:
·Emotions such as
Feeling restless, irritable and deressed when trying to quit
Feeling very happy when winning and very sad when losing
Your only happy when gambling

Pelkey 4

Feeling bad when you lose but not quitting
·Environment
·Lifestyle, friendships, daily routines
Christian explains several items that you can diagnosis yourself to see if you are addicted to gambling.
Some warning signs are:
·How often do you think about gambling?
·How often do you gamble?
·Do you gamble when you feel stressed?
·You feel an uncontrollable urge to gamble

·Avoiding work and your responsibilities
·Lying to friends and family.
If you feel you have any of these signs or symptoms you may want to get help.

Change your Gambling, Change your Life by Shaffer, Howard; Martin, Ryan; Kleschinsky, John; Neporent, Liz 2012, 1st ed.. The effects gambling has on a person can be devastating and destroy relationships and families. How devastating gambling can be in changing your life. The relationship between drug addiction and gambling addiction are similar.

Pelkey 5

Gambling addiction may respond to medication just as well as a drug addiction. Here are a few steps to learn to stop the gambling cycle and get control of the urge to gamble.

1.Get rid of your money. Do not have any cash on hand or any credit cards available that might provide cash to you when at the casino or another gambling establishment.

2.Go to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting or call the 800 number to stop gambling.
3.Socialize with recovering gamblers.
4.Go to a rehab facility.
5.Read and carry literature with you at all times, so if you get the urge you can read and try to avoid gambling.
6.Self-ban.
7.Remind yourself that this is good thing.
8.Be positive.
9.Have a plan.
10.Get as much support as you can.

Segal, Jeanne Ph.D., Melinda Smith, M.A., and Lawrence Robinson. "Gambling Addiction and Problem Gambling." April 2017. Help Guide. Accessed April 12, 2017. Searched google "how to quit gambling" found a website helpguide.org/articles/addictions/gambling-addiction-and-problem-gambling.htm Remember when you first start gambling it is just a good night out or a fun day with

Pelkey 6

friends. Then, how it can become a dangerous life destroying addiction.! There are treatments available to help with this addiction

Is Gambling a Sin? Compiled and Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff on 2/4/2015
salemmedia. On the website salemmedia. they address several bible verses that suggest gambling is evil. The bible does not specially condemn gambling but does warn us in bible verses (1 Timothy 6:10). According to the bible verses it appears that gambling may be a sin. This bible verse states "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs" The Bible also talks about how if you have the love for money you will never be satisfied with your income which could affect your life in many ways. Gambling is considered a waste of money, but not a necessary evil.

GAMBLING OBERVATION

As I observed people I took notes on a person playing a slot machine that offers bonus rounds as well as progressive wins. Here is what I saw: people go from one machine with money and started playing on another machine.

Pelkey 7

I noticed the way the machine lights up when you hit something. I think that may be a draw to playing (so exciting and pretty). People continue to win so they increases there bet amount. They finally get a bonus spin, you can tell they are very excited,, they get fidgety and rub the machine in hopes of getting that "BIG WIN". After the bonus round is over some may cash out but some may also continue to play and up their bet at this time.

GAMBLING INTERVIEW

I interviewed a "Gambler" named Brian. He stated that gambling is a very hard addiction to quit. He deals with it daily. He also stated that is has done some damage to his life, but he has gotten better control over it lately. He stated that he believes if you can get control of gambling it is ok, but if you can't it will seriously destroy a persons life. I sat with him and asked him to give me a play by play of his feelings. Here is what he said. I am again at the casino things are going very well I only put $20 in and I am already up to $150 I am betting $2.46 per spin. I just hit the bonus On this bonus I have 20 free spins, wow I'm going to win a lot of money on this bonus round! My bonus round is now over and I am up to $350. I won another $45 I just received the bonus again. I'm just going to continue to play instead of cashing out because I think if I up my bet I will increase my winnings, because after all I am up to $350 and I only started with $20.

Pelkey 8

CONCLUSION

GET HELP if you feel you are addicted to gambling. Gambling is an addiction that usually starts a "hobby" or a" fun night "out and can become a very serious addiction that may cause a gambler to lose more than money As stated above know when to stop before you stop. There is always an 800 number you can contact if you have a gambling problem. As I was heading towards the ATM I noticed on the machine it had an 800 number to call for help if you have a problem with gambling. I also noticed that as you enter the casino there are signs on the door with the 800 number to call if you need help with gambling. At the cashier station there is a sign with an 800 number to call if you need help for gambling. You may also want to attend a Gamblers Anonymous meeting for help. There are warning signs all around about becoming addicted to gambling!

Pelkey 9

Works Cited

Timothy J. Legg, PhD, CRNP on June 14, 2016 - Written by Mara Tyler

Ferris Jabr," How the Brain Gets Addicted to Gambling", Scientific American

Christian Nordqvist , 15929.php Last updated Tue 19 June 2018 medicalnewstoday

Haugen, David M., "Gambling"- Musser, Susan

Shaffer, Howard; Martin, Ryan; Kleschinsky, John; Neporent, Liz C, book "Change your gambling: change your life. Strategies for managing your gambling and improving your finances, relationships and health."

Compiled and Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff "Is Gambling a Sin"

Segal, Jeanne Ph.D., Melinda Smith, M.A., and Lawrence Robinson. "Gambling Addiction and Problem Gambling."

"The Statistics Portal"
Shiela, your thesis statement could use some work. There is no real statement of the problem indicated. This should be a paragraph long statement that indicated the summary of the problem you will be discussing touching on discussion points and referencing possible solutions to the problem. The draft discussion points show promise but feels too rough for me to say that it is going to be a strong part of the essay. It has potential but needs to be developed further before I can tell you how to further improve it. Try to complete the draft so that we can seriously look into the editing process for this essay. I also need to know what writing style you are using for this paper (APA. MLA, Chicago, Turabian, Harvard, etc.) so that I can assess the applicability of your quotes and other information presentation.

I know that the discussion feels weak at the moment but that is because of the lack of full discussion paragraphs. All you have to know at the moment is that you are on the right track with the presentation but you need to complete the content before we can correct the problems, edit the content, and basically, revise the essay. Keep working in this direction. You are doing the correct research for the topic.
OP spelkey 1 / 3 1  
Thank you for the assistance, My research paper is to be in MLA style. I will continue to work on it before I present it.

Home / Research Papers / Know When to Stop Before You Start The Gambling Addiction