Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Organic Foods vs. Processed Foods (Rough Draft)

loryzoe 1 / -  

research paper about food

Organic food has become an important health issue for all those people who are looking for a new style of food and life. Organic food is obtained from growing fruits and vegetables without using any fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides, besides being flooded with natural water, not with treated water that is commonly used for irrigation, and all this helps the earth to be in better condition for the crop. Organic foods also include the raising of farm animals that are not fed with hormones, anabolics, and antibiotics, this leads us to 100% natural, healthy and responsible methods for obtaining healthy food and that is not genetically altered. This gives an enormous benefit to the environment, to commerce and of course to health.

On the other hand, food processing includes all those actions that change or convert plant matter or raw animal in a safe, edible and enjoyed product and savor a lot more. In the manufacture of food to large scale, processing involves the application of principles scientific and technological resources to conserve food, delaying or slowing down the natural processes of degradation. It also allows changing the quality of consumer foods so that the process can be carried out in a predictable and controlled. Food processing also employs the creative potential of the processor so that the products basic raw materials are transformed into attractive foods and tasty, providing an interesting variety to the diets of the consumers. If food processing does not exist, it would be possible to meet the needs of urban populations, and the range of possibilities in terms of food is would be reduced to those of a certain station.

In recent times the organic food has become a market that has gradually been positioning, and not only is it a trend, as many might think but in turn has also become a topic of discussion. A large number of individuals support specialized people engaged in the cultivation of organic foods, as well as farmers and scientists dedicated to the research of these products. There is a counterpart to this issue since there are people who do not agree to pay a higher price for the consumption of this kind of food. On the other hand, there are those who would like to feed on this kind of products, but unfortunately, they are not within reach of their economy since it implies that their production process has another value because it entails another type of ecological care.

Regarding the development care and feeding of animals from ecological farms, it is necessary to have large sanitary measures. For this professional person are required in this field, since they are the ones who can provide special management in the breeding systems and the way in which they should be fed since within their diet they are free to consume hormones and chemical elements, which contributes to giving. As a result, first quality meat, which benefits in many aspects the final consumer. All this is obtained through principles that contribute to the preservation of the environment, to respect, welfare and protection of animals, the typical use of chemical substances throughout the production process is avoided.

In conventional farms the raising and fattening of animals occur in confinement conditions, this means that they are overcrowded and artificially raised, making them overgrow, using anabolics, hormones, chemicals, and tranquilizers. Where their food is not organic, reproducing them in small spaces with low light or artificial light. According to Bajwa Usha: Pesticides are one of the major inputs used for increasing agricultural productivity of crops. The pesticide residues left to a variable extent in the food materials after harvesting, are beyond the control of consumer and have a deleterious effect on human health. The presence of pesticide residues is a major bottleneck in the international trade of food commodities. The localization of pesticides in foods varies with the nature of pesticide molecule, type and portion of food material and environmental factors. The food crops treated with pesticides invariably contain an unpredictable amount of these chemicals. Therefore, it becomes imperative to find out some alternatives for decontamination of food. (Usha 1)Pesticides are found in foods that are produced by industrial, or intensive, methods. The presence in our diet and our organism of such substances are harmful to our health. They are frequently related to diseases, immune system problems, and other chronic conditions. The advantage of organic nutrition is focused on guaranteeing food without additives and chemical substances. By consuming certified organic food, you ensure the elimination of such supplements and hormones.

The foods that we consume daily contain in general additives that, in some cases can be preservatives that allow to keep them in good condition, "healthy" and appetizing, for long as it is the case of bread and fatty foods without additives. They would go rancid quickly. Those responsible for all these facts are the substances that add them to food to increase the nutritional value of certain foods, to make them more palatable or to improve their taste, texture, consistency or color such as flavorings, flavorings, emulsifiers, stabilizers, thickeners, dyes, antioxidants, and preservatives.

When eating organic food, you are eating more nutrients; you are avoiding hormones, pesticides, and unwanted antibiotics. Many scientists believe that residues of hormones and antibiotics in products of animal origin affect health. Pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers used in industrialized agriculture are retained in vegetables, and you eat them. By eating organic foods these minimizing or avoiding these negative effects.

Increasingly, diets based on organic foods gain support among consumers. Today consumer is more concern about their diet and how to eat healthy food. New studies come to light revealing the advantages of organic and healthy diet. The organic foods are of better quality and have higher nutritional value. Organic foods are produced respecting the times of natural growth, so they have enough time to synthesize the sugars and nutrients of the soil.

USDA requires all organic foods to meet strict government standards. According to the United State Department of Agriculture "Organic is a labeling term that indicates that the food or other agricultural product has been produced through approved methods. The organic standards describe the specific requirements that must be verified by a USDA-accredited certifying agent before products can be labeled USDA organic" (1-9). These standards regulate how these foods are grown, managed, and processed. Products that contain ingredients that are at least 70 percent organic can indicate "made with organic ingredients" on the label. If food has an Organic USDA label, this means that it was produced and processed according to USDA standards.

A common concern about organic foods is the cost. In general, organic foods have a higher price than traditional foods, this happens for several reasons, for example, producers have to pay for the certification of their processes. By not using chemicals, the crops are much more exposed to the severity of temperature and humidity, so in general, they spoil before conventional. Since organic fruits and vegetables are not treated with waxes or preservatives, they may ruin faster. According to Consumer Reports, "The cost of organic produce is typically marked up by 29 to 32 percent, even though a 5 to 7 percent markup would be enough for farmers to break even"(7-8). Overall, the higher prices are due to more expensive farming practices.

Organic foods also have many advantages concerning the environment. They do not use pesticides they do not go to the soil from which the food is born and, therefore, they do not pollute. These chemicals can adversely affect the earth and are difficult to remove.They save water because intelligent irrigation systems are used, and not a drop is wasted. This helps to distribute the resources and avoid droughts and other consequences of the indiscriminate use of the liquid element. Also, they improve the health of the soil thanks to crop rotation, a very useful practice to avoid ending with minerals that use certain types of food and that improves the health of our planet. They contaminate less since their production does not require the use of non-renewable energy sources, as happens when they are grown on a large scale.

There is a lot of debate about whether or not organic food is better than conventional food. Organic agriculture and livestock are the best options if we are talking about taking care of the environment and our organism. There are some benefits to the environment through organic farming instead of conventional agriculture. Organic foods are reliable and very healthy, since they tend both hygiene and cleanliness, as well as quality assurance, avoiding any hazardous waste for health.

Works Cited:

Bajwa, Usha, and Kulwant Singh Sandhu. "Effect of Handling and Processing on Pesticide Residues in Food- a Review." SpringerLink, Springer India
Fiorentino, Alyssa. "Confirmed: Paying Extra For Organic Is A Waste Of Money." Delish
Greger, Michael. "The Food Safety Risk of Organic versus Conventional." NutritionFacts.org
Honeycutt, Emily. "Why Buy Local Food? It's Healthier for You and Better for the Environment." Food Revolution Network
Lawrence Robinson. "Organic Foods: What You Need to Know." The Benefits and Basics of Organic Food and How to Keep It Affordable
"Organic Standards." Organic Standards | Agricultural Marketing Service
Lorraine, the opening paragraph of your presentation is interesting. However, it does not provide a clear thesis statement for the comparison research that you are presenting in the paper. While you explain what organic food is at the start, you forgot to refer to processed foods which should have led into a simple comparison between the two food manufacturing processes. This comparison would have then helped you to introduce the thesis statement for the comparison. What exactly do you want us to learn about the two processes?

I see that you listed several references in the bibliography page. However, more than half of your paper contains information that is not represented by a proper in-text citation. Please remember that regardless of the paper format, a proper in-text citation is required in order to prevent plagiarism issues in your paper once it is fact checked by your professor. Edit your presentation to include appropriate quotes or in-text citation references in order to avoid complications regarding your information references.

Since this is a comparison paper, the objective of the paper is to inform the reader about the two procedures. It is not supposed to make a conclusion for the reader. Rather, your conclusion should be open ended and a call to action for the reader to make an informed decision for himself as to which food processing method he prefers, based upon the summary of the information you shall be presenting as part of the concluding remarks.

Home / Research Papers / Organic Foods vs. Processed Foods (Rough Draft)