Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Why Sexual Assault Remains The Most Unreported Crime In Todays Society/Workplace

torrii 1 / -  
To this day, sexual harassment remains unreported. almost 80% of assaults and rapes go unreported. It is very common for victims of sexual assault, particularly women, to decline to report the incident to the police. Simultaneously, misleading incriminations of assault or rape are uncommon. Only approximately 23% of victims report such crimes to the police. Sexual assault and rape are grave offenses. Why then don't they get reported? According to the DOJ research, 20% of people fear reprisals from society as a whole as well as the offender. Thirteen percent of respondents indicated they believed the police would not offer assistance. Tragically, 8% of respondents indicated they didn't believe the rape or sexual assault warranted reporting.

Rape survivors battle with many feelings that make approaching troublesome apprehension about revictimization, bending of charges, and for the most part not being accepted. The collection of statistics regarding sexual assault reveals a clear narrative. False accusations are much less common than some partisan supporters have suggested, and sexual assault occurs much more frequently than we think. At the point when we stand up to claims of attack, in governmental issues, and in culture, we ought to comprehend the real factors that rape survivors face while revolting against their encounters.

Rape is known to be one of the most underreported crimes nationwide, while sexual assault is the most common crime in the United States. Only 16-40% of rapes are reported to law enforcement, despite studies estimating that one in six women and one in 21 men will be victims of attempted or completed forcible rape in their lifetimes. Victims' fears that they won't be believed or their unwillingness to endure the agony of a criminal trial are major contributors to the underreporting of rape. However, rape is rarely prosecuted even when it is reported. Perhaps the main move toward detailing a rape is to visit the emergency clinic for a legal clinical test as quickly as time permits.

Victims can get an exam 96 hours after the assault, but they should try to avoid taking a shower or brushing their teeth before the exam for the best chance of collecting evidence. However, a victim can still obtain an examination even after showering. A forensic examination, according to Godfrey, can sometimes take hours to complete. What's more, a while later, in the event that the casualty is certainly not a minor, they can conclude regardless of whether they need to make a police report. " As we have discussed, there are numerous reasons why victims do not report, but it really comes down to when they feel safe enough to tell someone and how they deal with the aftermath of such a traumatic event. Health professionals and advocates can step in to assist someone in that situation so that they do not have to make that decision on their own.

The offender must be prosecuted by law enforcement once the report is made. As individuals have become more vocal about Sexual Maltreatment, there has been a great deal of discussion about fraudulent indictments, while deceitful complaints do occur, they are interesting. Only 5% of reported cases of sexual assault have been found to be false. By making the potential perpetrator feel more secure than the potential victim, focusing on false accusations can delegitimize the experiences of rape victims. Reports of sexual violence are frequently dismissed as untrue due to the absence of evidence to support them. The culprit could be a superior speaker, peacemaker, or superior legal counselor. As a result, focusing on "false accusations" may result in the dismissal and neglect of legitimate cases. It is likewise generally trusted that in the event that you don't genuinely ward the culprit off or shout, you should appreciate it. This way of thinking is completely wrong.

As a result of their fear of escalating the situation and increasing the likelihood of physical violence, victims frequently remain silent and do not respond. Sadly, the absence of retaliating is frequently used to "demonstrate" a created sexual brutality guarantee when it was not.

Sometimes people don't report sexual harassment because they don't know how harsh or possibly causing post-traumatic stress disorder the treatment they got was until years later. Fear of what might happen if they report sexual harassment is one of the most common reasons employees avoid doing so. It is against the law to retaliate against an employee in any way for reporting such an incident; however, in order to do so, the employee must first be terminated, demoted, or subjected to additional forms of harassment, physical violence, and other forms of mistreatment.

Naturally, employees may be afraid to report sexual harassment for fear of making their situation "more complicated." However, this should never prevent anyone from seeking legal assistance from a caring attorney. The people who take part in lewd behavior are probably not going to stop, and a business that permits the provocation to continue, or even fights back against you, should be considered responsible. An employee's fear that reporting sexual harassment will hurt their chances of advancement may come in second place to retaliation. Employees may be concerned that if they report someone's behavior, they will be disqualified from promotions and placed on the company's blacklist for any favorable transfer or advancement. Even this may be a legally actionable form of retaliation for an employer who is offended or annoyed by an employee's sexual harassment report. There is no guarantee that this will result in career stagnation for the employer.

In the worst situation, an employee can be promised a job advancement in exchange for sexual favors or a promise to keep quiet about sexual harassment. This type of sexual harassment is referred to as "quid pro quo" harassment, and it is illegal for an employer or supervisor to provide something in exchange. Employees should get legal advice from a sexual harassment attorney rather than agreeing to such a bargain.

Since they don't recognize the behavior they had was abusive or even led to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), some people who experience sexual harassment don't report it until years later. This could happen as a result of a company's insufficient sexual harassment training program, which should explicitly identify all of the different ways that sexual harassment occurs and is prohibited by law. Employees may encounter either verbal or nonverbal forms of harassment, such as a gesture or exposure to sexually explicit content at work, frequently. Sexual harassment has a number of negative effects on workers who may not even be aware that the behavior is sexual harassment. Everybody answers lewd behavior in an unexpected way, and it tends to be an extremely horrible encounter for some. So much so that people who have experienced any kind of sexual misconduct at work may develop PTSD symptoms. When suffering from PTSD, a person may be more concerned with avoiding triggers for their trauma than seeking legal help to end the abuse or hold those responsible accountable.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission of the United States estimates that 75% of people who experience workplace harassment do not file a complaint. The most often given reasons include not wanting to be perceived as a victim or someone who is looking for attention, the embarrassment, the time it will probably take, including following through, fear of bad outcomes like being isolated or dismissed, and being blamed as the victim. If I've learned anything about the field of planning and development, it's that information is very important and provides scholarly explanations for what the problem is and possibly why it's working out, but it's not always enough to inspire people to plan a better arrangement. Empathy, curiosity, and even wrath, nevertheless, can improve our prospects of bringing about genuine change.

Despite the fact that sexual harassment in the workplace is still a problem, 98% of all businesses have policies in place. We have learned of troubling incidents across industries through our own research. One lady uncovered, "An official at work cornered me, then, at that point, stuck me against a wall in a flight of stairs and told me precisely how I could help him to get an advancement. He then attempted to kiss me". According to a recent study, having a history of workplace sexual harassment can have major effects, such as disrupted sleep and a higher chance of developing high blood pressure. Yet not every workplace sexual harassment falls under this classification. A few upsetting stories uncover a posse mindset, with gatherings (counting HR) contriving together to estrange others. Additionally, some are unrelated to gender. One woman stated that the cruel abuse of power led to her harassment: We see these actions everywhere, yet not enough is being done to stop them. However, by sharing these instances of harassment, we may draw attention to the gravity of the problem and the impact that our inactivity is having on a whole generation of younger women entering the job. When we are able to relate to their emotions, relate to their experiences, and relate to the revulsion they express over this subject, it might create not just a desire but also a need to take action. HR is the problem. When people do report instances to HR, they are often rejected or informed that they are reacting too soon, which discourages them from reporting more.

Annually, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission receives 12,000 reports of sex-based harassment, with women making up 83% of the complainants. It is believed that this figure is only the tip of the iceberg. According to a study published last year by the co-chairwomen of a commission task force, three to four people who experience such harassment never report it to anyone in authority. Women, according to them, "avoid the harasser, deny or downplay the gravity of the situation, or attempt to ignore, forget, or endure the behavior" most of the time. "Behaviors that fall under the category of sexual harassment include: touching inappropriately; a breach of privacy; sex-based jokes; comments or actions that are obscene or lewd; displaying body organs; displaying explicit images; unwanted sexual phone calls, texts, or emails; sexual solicitation, coercion, and bribery; favoritism sexually; being compensated for performing a sexual favor; being turned down for a raise or promotion because you didn't cooperate Naturally, some women also experience what might be more accurately referred to as sexual assault: being drugged and rendered unconscious or unable to defend oneself, being forced to perform oral sex on a man in a position of power, a man in power forcing himself on the woman either orally, vaginally, or anally.

One of the essential reasons ladies don't approach to report inappropriate behavior or attack is disgrace. When someone sexually assaults a woman or a man, the deep emotional wounds they suffer are rooted in shame. In his book Shame, the authority on shame, Gershen Kaufman, aptly stated: "Shame is a natural reaction to being violated or abused," according to The Power of Caring. In point of fact, abuse is humiliating and dehumanizing by its very nature. This is especially true in cases of sexual abuse. The victim feels invaded and tainted, as well as humiliated by feeling helpless and dependent on another person. Victims frequently blame themselves for their perpetrator's sexual misconduct as a result of this shame. For example, Lee Corfman, the one who answered to a Washington Post journalist that she was attacked by Roy Moore when she was 14, said, "I felt mindful. I believed I was bad. Clients who have experienced sexual harassment at work or in school have repeatedly informed me of the following: I figured I was to blame. I always waved to my boss and smiled because I'm a very friendly person. He must have thought I was flirting with him, I believe. "I liked all the attention I was getting from him," a student who had been sexually assaulted by one of her college professors told me of another client. I was getting a lot out of him as we talked for hours in his office. It appears that I sent him the wrong message.

Seeing more about the feeling of disgrace can assist with making sense of why ladies fault themselves when they are abused, and why more ladies don't report rape or badgering. A deep sense of self-exposure and unworthiness is shame. We want to run away when we are embarrassed. As if trying to disappear, we stoop our shoulders, curl inward, and hang our heads. The majority of people who have experienced severe shame adopt an ingrained and pervasive belief that they are inadvertently flawed or unacceptable. They feel "bad," unlovable, or unworthy. Disgrace can likewise make us feel disengaged - put aside from the group. In fact, in primitive societies, people who broke the rules of society were kicked out of the tribe. Being shamed has the same feeling of exclusion as being unworthy of being around other people.

Sexual assault and harassment can be humiliating to talk about in private, much less publicly. As human beings, we want to believe that we have control over what happens to us, which is why victims of sexual harassment and assault in adulthood and childhood often experience feelings of shame. We feel humiliated whenever any victimization challenges that personal power. We are of the opinion that we ought to be able to defend ourselves. We feel powerless and helpless because we were unable to do so. This feebleness causes embarrassment - which prompts disgrace.

It's often easier to blame oneself than to admit that someone else made you helpless or hurt you. We want to believe that we are in charge of our own lives as human beings. It is very upsetting when something happens to remind us that we are not always in control. So upsetting that we would rather attribute our victimization to ourselves.Because they are frequently blamed for being sexually assaulted, women in particular experience shame. Comments such as, "What did she expect when she dresses like that?" are still used to accuse women of causing their own victimization. furthermore "She should have less to drink."What's more, ladies are accustomed to being disgraced and feeling disgraced. Ladies feel disgraced when they are pestered by men in the city. When men make fun of their bodies or make disparaging remarks about how big their breasts or behinds are, they feel embarrassed. They feel disgraced when their general existence is decreased to how appealing or ugly a man tracks down them. The effects of this shame build up over time. A woman may try to forget the entire incident, put her head in the sand, and pretend it never happened, depending on how much she has been shamed by previous abuse or bullying.
The essay is covering too broad a topic. Either cover rape within the context of society or, in the workplace. It is difficult to keep your essay on track when you are trying to discuss 2 different coverage areas, which have varying information content. Figure out which area you really want to discuss in the essay then adjust the title accordingly.

You have to create a proper introduction and thesis statement for your research presentation. By presenting actual information and beginning the discussion in the first paragraph, rather than creating an introduction and thesis statement paragraph, you are starting the essay in the middle of the discussion. You are not complying with the introduction + discussion coverage requirement for these sorts of papers.

Finally, your in-text citation is extremely improper. You hare not citing any sources for the information you are presenting. That means the whole essay can be considered plagiarized and thus, receive a failing score. Ask your professor what paper format you have to use so that you can use the correct citation format in the essay.

Your desire to inform the reader is clear throughout the discussion. However, you are not using the correct research paper format for this essay, which will greatly affect the validity of the information and the discussion presentation within the paper. Reformat the paper to give the sources a proper academic reference. That way the plagiarism problem will be eliminated.

Home / Research Papers / Why Sexual Assault Remains The Most Unreported Crime In Todays Society/Workplace