Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

(Syllabus of Contemporary Artists' Book) my sample syllabus

eggwing 1 / -  
Hi there,

Here is my sample syllabus for a short term art project. I do need help with editing, Please give me some comments on the syllabus. All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Syllabus of Contemporary Artists' Book

BOOK, its concept has a large coverage. From traditional handmade books to Ebooks, they are all under the name of "BOOK." But no matter how BOOK exists, by whatever the materials it made or in whenever age, BOOK is something to read. Therefore, based on the behaviors of READ, we could and we should refine and extend the ideology of BOOK.

Contemporary Artists' Book is a unique interdisciplinary studio class. Students receive grounding in the conceptual, theoretical, historical, and craft foundations of contemporary artists' bookmaking through classes that combine studio work and scholarly study. Throughout the class, students will be asked to complete 3 major projects: 1) Each student make a book with budget under ten dollars, 2) Each student make a book with one random selected image and one word, 3) Conceptual book making: the Container project.

This class looks at the qualities of books that have the potential for creative expression beyond the typical notion of a book. Building on characteristics such as the potential for storytelling, performance, and unique methods of display, the class will examine the relationship between word and image and the structure and sequencing of information. The focus will be on non-adhere binding as a means to producing artists' books.

Students will develop and build on creative ideas using the artists' book as a medium, focusing on the use of Non-Adhesive Binding as a means to producing artists' books. Whatever a student's discipline, re-conceiving ideas as an artists' book will expand and enrich their understanding of those ideas. This course will examine the way in which sequence, flow, word and image, and structure are special characteristics of an artists' book that open new insights into one's creative interests. The class will include demonstrations, visits by guest artists, and examples of the wide range of artists' books. Reference to techniques and interests in other classes will be encouraged. Each student will complete a small edition of books. The class will focus on individual planning, understanding materials, and building on a strongly held artistic idea.

OUTCOME
Artists' Book is a process driven class with a fairly flexible structure. If you feel that the work you want to create can not be created in class during studio time - and you need to go somewhere else in the school- this can be arranged as long as you are in communication about your progress with the instructor and TA. Written plans and documentation of progress in your actual work should be provided. Please check in with instructor and TA at the beginning of each class to avoid being counted as absent.

In addition to the 3 projects, the critique process is an elemental part of the Artists' Book course with the requirement of students not only to respond through class discussions, but also to create preliminary written responses upon reviewing every presented work. This practice encourages more articulate feedback and helps to eliminate stock "this is interesting/pretty/ugly/good/bad" observations, thereby creating a collective expectation that real thought and effort will go in to critical responses.

The Critique Process in this class is invaluable. Attendance is mandatory, as the dialogues (either positive or negative) are an invaluable element of a critical art environment. Accompanying each critique, each student is given index cards to write down their criticism, which is then given to the critiqued student.

Artist's statement must accompany each piece being presented. Ultimately the end -for the critique process- is to extend each student's awareness and ability to speak about their own work. Written responses and in class feedback should aid students in creating their Artists statement which accompany each piece. The Artist's statement can be seen as another avenue for expressing the concept of each work, a creative exercise, or literally, an explanation of what is being presented. There is no strict definition for "raison" in this class.

Students/artists are encouraged to save their Artists' statement as well as all of the compiled notes. At the end of this course, these statements and notes serve as an invaluable resource, (i.e.) an accumulation of "idea" material for subsequent work, artist statements, grant proposals, personal theory etc.

Artists/students are encouraged to find and apply to resources and venues that allow for specific kinds of work to be exhibited. (i.e.) Profit and non-Profit galleries. Or on-line websites that promote exhibition opportunities locally, nationally and globally.

COURSE GOAL

Through three different assignments under special environment, students

would be guided try not to use common materials, but to examine new working flow and to explore new ways of thinking. Students will develop a habit of making attention of everything in the environment.

gain ability in the broad range of techniques that constitute contemporary bookmaking
learn to develop individual projects from a content-centered base
develop a vocabulary for positive individual and group critique in the arts
develop skills for collaboration and for functioning in a diverse studio environment
become familiar with the history of books and print culture

3. Expectations
Attendance:A routine schedule is expected of each artist/student (three unexcused absences is an automatic dismissal.The artist/students in this class are expected to be ready to work exactly on time on Tuesdays and Thursday. Being in class is vital. There is an endless amount to learn from your instructor, the TAs, and one another, but you must be present in order to take advantage of these resources.

Completion of All Class and Homework AssignmentsHomework assignments will be pinned to the wall along with work done during class on assigned days.
At the Completion of Each Project, there will be a review of the work shown, this work will then be stored in a portfolio. Each artist will be responsible for maintenance of a flat portfolio (with paper separating each work.)

Critique ParticipationIt is imperative that everyone in the class participates actively in the critique process that but also approaches that responsibility with respect and accountability. Please be aware of the power of critique to affect other people profoundly, for both good and bad. Be honest, but aware of the implications of your words.

4. Critiques
A neutral space where objectified ideas get responded to in terms of Creative thought and Critical Thinking.
For an artist, there can be no growth without critical thinking.
This space allows artists/students an opportunity to describe and explain their work and its process of development.
Critiques give an opportunity to hear where individual artists/students are coming from, and for those artists/students to clarify their direction.
Artists/students are encouraged to give feedback and to ask questions which could help them in their development.
In Critique Sessions, beginning artists/students should be encouraged to think and develop strategies to reach their goals.
In this neutral space, artists/students are able to see a continuum of where they began, and to see where they are now.
Critiques provide a space from where BFA students can speak and write about their work in order to compete and enter competitions or develop artist statements to enter higher levels of education and/or exhibitions.

All Higher Education students need to be aware of all levels in the diversity of creativity and be able to comment and respond. Participation is a part of growth.

5. ASSIGNMENT REQUIREMENT
a. Readable
b. Exhibitable

6.SCHEDULE
Week 1
Day 1 Introduction to the studio, artists' book, PowerPoint, show tools, etc
Day 2 Demonstration of basic bookbinding skill and tools
Day 3 Demonstration of letterpress
Day 4 PROJECTS #1
9:00 AM, Meet at the entrance of art supplement storeStudent buy material they interested in. Totally amount must under $10.
10:30, Meet at Bookbinding studio with all tools and bought material. Finish a book with bought material in one hour.
11:30, Critiques and decide Award

Week 2
Day 5 PROJECTS #2
Everyone bring a photo ( non-abstract ) to the studio. Exchange this photo randomly. Then pick a word from the dictionary randomly. Use those two random elements to make a book.

Day 6 Critique the draft of Project #2
Day 7 Individual tutorials & studio time
Day 8 Individual tutorials & studio time

Week3
Day 9 Individual tutorials & studio time
Day 10 Critique Project #2
Day 11 Critique Project #2
Day 12 PROJECTS #3 Student Define what container is, write down on a paper and summit to the Instructor. Make a book to represent the idea of container.

Week 4
Day 13 Critique the draft of Project #3
Day 14 Individual tutorials & studio time

Day 15 Individual tutorials & studio time

Day 16 Individual tutorials & studio time

Week 5
Day 13 Individual tutorials & studio time
Day 14 Critique Project #3
Day 15 Critique Project #3
Day 16 Clean up and party

7.Reading Resources
<The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction> Walter Benjamin

<Discourse on Thinking>Martin Heidegger
artbycoleen - / 1  
If you feel that the work you want to create can not be created in class during studio time - and you need to go somewhere else in the school- this can be arranged as long as you are in communication about your progress with the instructor and TA. I would perhaps re - word this i am assuming if the student needs other resources out side the class room ie computer.

4. Critiques - could this part be bullet points

A neutral space where objectified ideas get responded to in terms of Creative thought and Critical Thinking. i would possibly re-word this

I would possibly say be analytical and critical in the creative process and document this

Home / Research Papers / (Syllabus of Contemporary Artists' Book) my sample syllabus