Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

How can our teenagers obtain information on sexually transmitted disease? Rough draft essay

cris0829 1 / -  
CRISTINA CERVANTES
ENG 101
LESSON#11
ROUGH DRAFT

Each passing year in the USA it is reported that teenagers are becoming more infected with a sexually transmitted disease. It is reported that over 20million new cases of sexually transmitted diseases are recorded in the USA each year and 50% of that amount are from teenagers. We ask ourselves why is the teen population becoming infected with a sexually transmitted disease so great? I feel that teens need to be better informed on sexually transmitted diseases. The spread of infectious diseases needs to diminish especially in our teen population.

How are sexually transmitted diseases spread? An STD is spread by having unprotected sexual intercourse. That can be vaginal, oral, or anal sex with someone who is infected already with a sexually transmitted disease. Some sexually transmitted diseases can be spread by just skin to skin contact like herpes and human papilloma virus. Sexually transmitted diseases are very common. A teen is more susceptible to contract a sexually transmitted disease because they may have multiple sex partners. They don't receive proper care or STD testing. The lack of knowledge teen has on sexually transmitted disease makes them careless when they are sexually active and don't think about the consequences to having unprotected sex. (Centers for disease control, Information for teens and young adults staying healthy and preventing STD, division of STD prevention, CDC, May 22,2014)

In my research, I asked some teenagers what they knew about sexually transmitted disease. The majority responded with that it's an infection that a person can get when having sexual intercourse and not using protection other than that they didn't really know what kind of sexually transmitted diseases are out there and the effect they can have to the human body. I also found out that in their high schools they don't obtain any valuable information in regards to sexually transmitted diseases. One teen told me that they have a health education class their first year of high school which is there freshman year. In that class the student only learned the minimal on what a sexually transmitted disease is she states that the class goes by so fast and that the teacher only discussed briefly about sexually transmitted diseases the whole year. I asked if there was any other form of the teens obtaining information on sexually transmitted diseases in the high school? The teen said, in their child development class they learned some information on sexually transmitted diseases but teacher didn't go in depth either. Also, that class is not taken by every student because it's an elective and not every teenager chooses that class as an elective. The teenagers didn't know what kind of sexually transmitted diseases are out there the names or even the effects they have on a person. Some of the sexually transmitted diseases out there are chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, HIV, herpes and HPV to name some. One of the effects of getting a sexually transmitted disease like chlamydia is that if it goes untreated for years it can cause infertility in both males and female which is the non-ability to have a baby. If left untreated it may also lead to death. Luckily chlamydia is one of the sexually transmitted diseases that can be treated with antibiotics. Unfortunately, chlamydia may have no symptoms along with it so you may not know you have it unless you get an STD test at a doctor's office. The teens were not aware that a sexually transmitted disease can not only be transmitted by vaginal sex but by anal, oral sex, and skin to skin contact. They didn't understand as to how they can get an STD if they don't go "all the way" or if performing oral sex? If a person is having oral or anal sex with a person infected with an STD that can be transmitted by the virus or bacteria entering the body through any tiny cut or tear in the mouth, anus, and genitals. The sexual transmitted disease you can contract by just skin to skin contact is the HPV (human papilloma virus) and herpes. There are two types of herpes, herpes one which is the cold sore herpes type one is one of the most common ones there is. Herpes two is when a person develops the genital warts. There is cream or antibiotic that can help with the warts and cold sore but herpes is not treatable it stays in your body and something can make it flare up. (Reviewed by Hirsch, Larissa MD. January, 2014, kidshealth.org/en/teens/std.html). The teenagers where very curious and interested as to what a sexually transmitted disease is and the effects it has on a person after I was done talking to them. I feel since in school the teens only get taught the minimal in their first year of high school and the piece of information is not interesting enough they will not pay attention or care to retain the piece of information they are being given. I also asked them if they are given any information on sexually transmitted diseases with their parents or if their parents have even talked to them about it. The teens say they would feel embarrassed going to their parents to talk to them about anything that must deal with sex. Others said that their parents would just get mad at the thought of their kid thinking about sex. None of the teens have gotten any information from their parents. There must be a better way for these teens to get educated on sexually transmitted diseases.

Another of my resources I used for my research is the providers I work with. I work in an obstetrics and gynecology office. In our office, we get a lot of teenage girls that come in usually due to teenage pregnancy. In one of the initial visits for pregnancy the provider will do a series of lab work on the patient and some of the tests done is to check for Sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. I asked a provider if through the years have they noticed an increase on teenage girls testing positive for pregnancy? She said yes that more and more teenage girls that go in are testing positive for a sexually transmitted disease. I asked what was the most common sexually transmitted disease that the teen girls where testing positive for? She said that chlamydia and gonorrhea are the most common with the teen girls. ( Arizona women specialist, Denton, Julie NP.) Working in the office I would sometimes have to call the patient and inform them of a positive result for a sexually transmitted disease I let the patient know that it is an infection that was transmitted sexually and that the patient needs to be treated I give them the directions on how to take the medication I let them know that their partner must be treated as well and they must refrain from sex for a week after treatment. The patient then must go back in a few weeks to be retested and check to see if the STD is gone. Any positive cases of sexually transmitted disease must be reported to the centers for disease control. In my experience on informing a teenage girl of a positive test to a sexually transmitted disease, is that I get very careless response from them like it's nothing to worry about, for example I feel like their reaction to a positive STD test is as if I was telling them they have a cold. To them it's no big deal I get that response more from the teenage girl population than the adult women. I asked the provider how do they go about educating the teenage girls about a sexually transmitted disease? The provider says that she lets them know it was transmitted sexually and if the patient has only had that one partner that partner must have gotten the infection from someone else and never knew they had it. Also, if the patient comes back and tests positive it can be because their partner had sexual intercourse with a different person or as we call cheated and caught that infection by the other person. ( Arizona women specialist, Denton, Julie NP.) The provider says she doesn't get that much of a worried response from the teenage girls when they find out they become infected with a sexually transmitted disease. She says that the teenage girls don't have any knowledge on what a sexually transmitted disease is to worry about a positive result. They think it's like a simple bacterial infection. She gave me an example of a teenage girl that tested positive for chlamydia told her that her boyfriend said the reason she tested positive for chlamydia was because she sat on a public toilette. The teenage girl believed it that's why she was so careless about it. The provider then had to go into depth as to what chlamydia is lets them know that chlamydia left untreated can lead to infertility and it is in fact only transmitted by sexual intercourse. There are many pamphlets and flyers the providers hand out to the teenage girls in regards to sexually transmitted disease. They also tell them if they would like additional information or to read up on a sexually transmitted disease there is plenty of online websites they can visit like the centers for disease control. The providers also make sure to let the patient know even if they get on birth control that will not protect them from contracting a sexually transmitted disease they need to take the extra measure and use condoms because condoms are more effective other than abstaining from sex on developing a sexual transmitted disease. The provider also advises them if they are being sexually active they should get checked regularly with their doctor to test for any HIV or sexually transmitted diseases. They recommend every year they get checked if they still have the same partner or any time they switch partners. This can help on controlling their health. The providers make sure the teenage girls especially get all the information they need in regards to sexually transmitted disease when they go into the office. They let them know if they have any questions in regards to a sexually transmitted disease they can always go in or call the office. They feel if the teen trusts them they will open more to them and ask them questions usually the teenage girls also tend to be more shy and timid when talking about sexually transmitted diseases. Another problem as to where the provider noticed teens didn't want to open to any concerns is because some teens usually take their boyfriend or a parent with them and at that point the patient won't open to them on any concerns about having an STD. ( Arizona women specialist, Denton, Julie NP.)

I feel that I learned through my research that teens are becoming more infected with a sexually transmitted disease, due to the fact of their lack of knowledge on sexual transmitted disease. Also, it can be that they are afraid and don't know how to go about obtaining that information or how to get checked for an STD or treated. Most teens who are sexually active don't go to the doctors to get a check-up because the fear that their parent will find out. What most teens don't know is that they have a right to go to the doctor's office without their parent or consent of their parent if it must deal with birth control, pregnancy and testing for sexually transmitted diseases. It is the law and it is confidential. Not a lot of teens know that. They also would need to be informed by their school or counselor that there is that option that they can go to a clinic without their parents' consent or having them find out. Although they might want to discuss with their parents some time they can be at more use or helpful to the teen. I feel since teens don't have the sufficient information in regards to how they can get a sexually transmitted disease and what exactly is a sexually transmitted disease and how to go about getting help and information that's how the diseases are being spread and increasing.

A way I believe we can start by helping our teens get better information in regards to sexually transmitted diseases is to start out at the school. If in the schools, they offered a better class that goes more into depth on all the sexual transmitted diseases there are out there risks and how they can be contracted. The teens will be able to retain this information and remember the information. If In the class a teacher for example can have each student choose a type of STD do research project on it they can do slideshows, posters, or make presentations. They can make it informative and fun at the same time. That's is a good example I believe teenagers will be able to retain that information. For example, a good method a teacher can use is through tests and quizzes. Teachers can have them study all the forms of sexually transmitted diseases that are out there, if the STD has any symptoms along with it or what can be the health consequences contracting a sexually transmitted disease. The teachers can then test or quiz them on it. I do believe if the teens can get this education not only once in their high school years but throughout their high school years the information can stay fresh in their memory. The teachers must make this learning experience great and not just like any other ordinary class they take where they may not want to pay attention to the information being given. If teens can get to do group projects with their peers it can become a fun learning experience. Also, they can have a sexually transmitted disease awareness in their schools.

Another form the teens can obtain information on sexually transmitted disease can be through the school nurse. I feel as a health care professional a school nurse should have plenty of information for the teenagers in the high school In regards to sexually transmitted diseases. The nurse can pass out any brochures or pamphlets that can be handed out to teens at school or given in the nurse's office. The nurse should be able to give out any valuable information to the teens if they have any questions in regards to getting a sexually transmitted disease. They should be able to obtain resources like on how and where to go to get tested for a sexually transmitted disease. I feel like the nurse should also make herself open to the teens and make them comfortable enough to ask questions. If the teens want to learn how they can stay protected so they don't get infected with an STD that piece of information should be available to them. Teens can also get a major impact by hearing real life stories on how a sexually transmitted disease effected a teen and what impact it had on their life spokes people sharing their story can be moving to the audience and that can grab the teenager's attention. Since right now some teenagers are only obtaining the minimal information of sexually transmitted diseases in their first year of high school they can tend to forget or not even care for that information but if it is given throughout their whole high school years the information can be fresh in their head. I believe it can make a great impact and help diminish the number of teens testing positive for a sexually transmitted disease to the centers for disease control.

A different way teenagers can obtain information on sexually transmitted diseases is through their parents. I believe as parents we should come up with better strategies to talk to our teenagers about sexually transmitted diseases. The teens feel that they can't go to their parents for fear of them. Fear that the parent will get mad at them for thinking about sex. So, the teenagers prefer not to even ask their parents questions. If parents want their teenagers to be protected and become well informed on what kind of sexually transmitted diseases are out there they should be open and start a conversation with the teenage daughter or son. Then their daughter or son might be more open to them, ask them questions and want to learn more about sexually transmitted disease.

All in all, in the USA more and more teenagers are becoming infected with sexually transmitted disease. They make 50% of the recorded people infected with a sexually transmitted disease each year. That is a high number for the teenagers. With my research, I have learned that it is due to the lack of knowledge. Teenagers don't know sufficient information on sexually transmitted diseases. I feel that by schools providing more information as well as the parents the number of teenagers becoming infected with a sexually transmitted disease in the USA can go down.

RESOURCES

(Centers for disease control, Information for teens and young adults staying healthy and preventing STD, division of STD prevention, CDC, May 22,2014)
( Arizona women specialist, Denton, Julie NP.)
(Reviewed by Hirsch, Larissa MD. January, 2014, kidshealth.org/en/teens/std.html)
Cris, when you revise your thesis statement, it would be best if you pose the full list of questions that you will be responding to in the research paper. This will help to create a more solid and informed thesis statement and also help to increase the interest of the reader in the paper. If they know what they will be reading about, the more interested they might become to read what you have to say.

The first problem that I caught in your essay is that you do not know how to properly create in text citations. For instance, you cannot use a whole quote as a paragraph in your essay. You must either paraphrase it with proper citations or create your own paragraph of understanding with reference to the source. You cannot simply paste a whole quote with the citation at the end of it.

Next, the paragraphs run too long. You need to figure out at which parts you are discussing a new topic that, although related to the previous discussion in the paragraph, should be given its own paragraph in order to cut the discussion and avoid reading fatigue with the reader. You have at least 2 paragraphs that need to be edited in this case.

Overall though, you have chosen a very interesting topic for discussion and your information is quite accurate since it is based on authoritative sources. You just need to consider making the adjustments that I am suggesting in order to improve the content and format.

Home / Research Papers / How can our teenagers obtain information on sexually transmitted disease? Rough draft essay