My academic journey - Chevening Leadership and Influence Essay

My academic journey

I am writing to express my earnest interest in applying for the Chevening Scholarship, an opportunity that resonates deeply with my commitment to leadership and positive societal impact. My academic background, professional experiences, and personal aspirations are firmly rooted in the values upheld by the Chevening program, making me a dedicated candidate poised to contribute to the program's mission.

I have consistently sought opportunities to cultivate my leadership skills throughout my academic journey. I pursued a BTech at Ahmad Dahlan University, an experience that not only deepened my understanding of computer science and programming but also provided me with numerous opportunities to take on leadership roles. When I was in college my lecturer asked me to help him build a developer community called "Ruang Ekspresi". In the community, we are required to create a project. I initiated my team to develop a mobile application for ordering food. Regarding the student problem, The remote location of the canteen from the class area presents a significant obstacle when purchasing food. In the developing process, I have experience in leading a team, accommodating input from the team, and making a decision. The final result is that the application can be run properly and give an impact to provide convenience to the students for purchasing food.

In my professional life, I worked in a software house at Coencept. I have embraced leadership responsibilities with enthusiasm. I have been entrusted with Frontend developer responsibilities. As a developer, I consistently exercised my leadership and influence skills. In the working session, there is an error when developing software. I initiated the team to do a meeting and discussed the problem. I have used my communication skills to give suggestions through effective ways to solve the problem.

The Chevening Scholarship's emphasis on leadership and influencing positive change aligns seamlessly with my personal and professional goals. I am eager to undertake a Computer Game Engineering MSc at Newcastle University, which I believe will equip me with the academic knowledge and practical skills necessary to advance in my field and take on leadership roles with greater efficacy.

Furthermore, I am excited about the prospect of becoming part of the diverse Chevening community. I recognize the immense value of networking with like-minded individuals from different cultural and professional backgrounds. This collective experience will undoubtedly enrich my understanding of global issues, enhance my cultural intelligence, and contribute to my development as a well-rounded leader.
This is not a leadership and influencing essay in line with the expected information for Chevening. What you wrote is an extended form of your resume instead, as if you were applying for a job. That is not the case with this scholarship program. You have created an empty essay that neither showcases you as a leader nor highlights your influencing skills. It is very vague when it discusses those things. You are only discussing your task performances, which do not necessarily relate to the reqired information. I cannot approve of this as an L&I essay that would make it past the first round. The reviewer may not even finish reading this essay because of its lack of proper information content.
OP habib_baharuddin 1 / 1  
Thank you for the feedback. I'll fix my essay

Home / Scholarship / My academic journey - Chevening Leadership and Influence Essay