Being an Aries Man. Leadership & Influence Letter for Chevening Scholarship

Moshtaq Ahmad 1 / -  

leadership, dominance and aggressive attitude

I found this interesting and felt like sharing it with you. While surfing the net I came across to this subject that zodiac sign of people associated whit the month of April are Aries and Taurus. Being an Aries Man it is described as a typical example of manliness. To be ranked at the top of the Zodiac sign, those men inherit innate leadership and dominance. Moreover, they love confronting challenges by themselves. Be under Fire and Cardinal signs, the Aries men easily express their aggressive attitude; therefore, they will feel hard when restraining their angry.

As every one might be in picture about the fact that engineering is a teamwork and it is not possible to complete a task individually. But no team will achieve their goals if the team is not leaded by a competent leader. Working with the ministry of public works since May 2014, I have been given 4 projects of road rehabilitation in different provinces of the country. The 3 of which has been successfully completed and are open to the traffic and 1 project is under construction. Working as the project in charge I succeeded to accomplish the projects in time and receive appreciation letters from the minister and provincial officials for the successful completion of the projects. Overall I managed to spend 398 Million Afghanis of development budget of the government for rehabilitation purpose.

The next success I want to share only those people will understand who have been through similar situation and it goes back to the time when I got scholarship for civil engineering in India at Pune university. Since my country has experienced 3 decade of wars and the educational system had got seriously affected by war thus there was huge difference between educational standards of Afghanistan and India. After approaching there almost everyone regretted coming to India due to high pressure of the engineering subjects and the new medium was totally in English language also it was first time that everyone in our group was leaving home to a very far distance. But we did not lose hope and continued and succeeded to complete the course. If you might be searching for leadership part in this paragraph it starts here, when we finished the first year of engineering and moved to second year, another group of students approached to our college and same like our first day of entering India they were looking helpless and with confused faces and since we had experience from the past year we approached them and shared our experience and guided them in every aspect until they could manage their problems themselves after few months. Later when they became seniors they did the same with their juniors and the chain remained unbroken.

The facts about status of my country might not be hidden to any one nowadays. The country is facing internal war besides other problems and high rate of corruption exists almost in each field and the security threats are present all over the country especially in rural areas. And it is a pride for me to have worked for national rural access program of the ministry of public works and succeeded to bring transportation facility to poor people in the rural areas of Afghanistan.
Phoowadon 5 / 26 11  
Hi, Moshtaq Ahmad

As I was the one who got into the final round for the Chevening interview last year round, the 2017/2018 (but unfortunately did not receive a scholarship).

I would suggest you to

1.Write as much as the word limit to 500 words but not more than that like this 542 - words essay you have written above. If I have no mistake on your whole essay containing 4 paragraphs

2.Focus on some small mistakes you have such as forgetting to add article "a" in singular or did not add "s" in plural (n.), e.g. 3 decade

3. Be more academic style on your writing, try not to select words like "very"or 'about", and use appropriate links between paragraphs rather than phrases.

4. I like your 2nd paragraph but not the 3rd one at all (you have not answer the leadership question outstandingly) you only wrote about yourself in the same tasks like other scholars could do rather than an obvious talent or be an influence among your group.

5.You should state your leadership of what have you done to show your leadership skill ? and why you have done that ? and give examples to allow reviewers imagine a story you are describing, and restate your statement again at the latter of the paragraph.

6. Tell reviewers what will Chevening help you to encourage your leadership and if so, what kind of activity would you do back home after you complete a year in the UK to show your gained leadership skill?

Does my suggestion sound like reflecting something better, have fun and good luck to you.
Moshtaq, it would be best for you to not use this essay in particular for the Chevening leadership and influencing application essay. It does not contain any reference to the actual demands that the scholarship essay considers when screening applicants. While the advice that Phowadoon gave is usable to a certain extent, the rest of it does not apply to your essay because it does not have the focus required. Create a new essay.

In this new essay, I want you to focus on only one thing, that is creating a narrative that showcases your leadership style. A definitive essay that indicates how you came to learn that you have leadership qualities and how this translated into your ability to influence people to do good or perform tasks that they normally would balk at doing. A good leader knows how to inspire his subordinates. That is what the scholarship committee looks for in a candidate.

A Chevening scholar needs to embody certain traits and qualities that will reflect positively upon the organization. The leadership and influencing traits that you depict in your essay need to make you competitive with the other applicants in the sense that your story must be impressive enough in its display of leadership and influencing. It should not have anything to do with your country at this point. Unless, you are leader in a government organization that is helping to alleviate the plight of your country. If not, then focus on a more serious, but still professional aspect of your leadership and influencing skills.
Phoowadon 5 / 26 11  
Hi again Moshtaq, I am totally agree with Holt

First of all I have to say thank you to Holt, he (or she?) had reviewed all of my 4 essays before I had decided to submit my application online for the Chevening last season, and guess what? I was shorted list to the final round and was interviewed at the final selection state. Unfortunately, however, I was not selected on that occasion, I guess I have to switch a course that the UK is interested in or doing business with my country. Thus, I will be here, existing more again and would love to share my experience positively to you.

Yes I failed, but I always fall forward, soon or later I will catch my dream.

Home / Scholarship / Being an Aries Man. Leadership & Influence Letter for Chevening Scholarship