Chevening Networking Essay - physician using network to help patients and to develop professionally

tika89 2 / 3 1  
Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

(minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

networking - fundamental skill in my daily practice

Physicians meet people from various backgrounds everyday and work with many other healthcare services providers in order to provide the best care, therefore I consider networking as a fundamental skill in my daily practice.

After I graduated from medical school and before I started my internship program, I worked as a journal manager of an international medical journal in the field of dermatology and venereology. I was responsible for managing correspondence with our international network of authors, editors, and peer reviewers, in addition to managing the publication of submitted articles. The editors and reviewers I worked with were experts in their fields, and my job taught me to hone my skills in networking with older and more experienced people. During my time there, the journal was looking for a new international editor, and was having problems finding candidates to invite. The year before, I did an elective course in dermatology in Keio University, Japan, where I was mentored by several experts, including a professor who was a leader in the field of autoimmune bullous diseases. I kept in touch with most of the dermatologists I met, and I proposed to our journal's Chief Editor to invite the professor to be an editor. I emailed the professor and we chatted, but unfortunately he declined to be our editor because of his responsibilities in several other journals. But he agreed to be a peer reviewer, which is a great addition to our repertoire because we were short on experts in bullous diseases.

Furthermore, I maintain good relationships with many of the dermatologists I worked with, and use that network to provide the best possible care for my patients. In the healthcare center I work in, many patients come with dermatological complaints but we do not have a dermatologist in our center. I take pictures of patients' complicated lesions and messaged the dermatologists I know to consult and get advice. Through their answers, I am able to identify the appropriate treatment or workup for the patient, and provide information to educate the patients. One of my patients had a metal ring cause a severe rash on her finger and the ring was embedded in the flesh, covered in granulation tissue. Her finger was swollen and there was a risk for tissue death. We had no dermatologists in our hospital, so a swift consultation with a dermatologist I was close with helped greatly in managing the patient, and now I am in the process of writing a case report of the patient with him to be submitted for publication.

As a Chevening scholar, I aim to engage with the alumni network in the medical, public relations, marketing, and creative fields to collaborate in creating reliable and interesting patient education materials, which are direly needed in this day and age. Since there are not many Indonesian physicians who are Chevening scholars, I will assist physicians who are aspiring applicants in preparing their applications and help open their horizons on higher education in the UK.
sbina 2 / 5  
@tika89
Hey tika, here is my suggestion, I hope that useful.

Firstly, as a viewer I think this essay suffer from lack of explanation about how your network enhance your career future.

Secondly, tika I think third paragraph do not suitable for this essay. It will works better if you are put on your leadership essay. From general, it shows your capability to silve the problem with named as a leadership skill.

Good luck for the rest of your essay
Attika, if you want the reviewer to believe that you were the journal manager for a international medical journal, you will need to mention the name of the magazine and your inclusive start and end dates for verification. Information as precise as this will always be fact checked for validity. When it comes to networking references that are specific to organizations, publications, or associations, you must always name them with dates of interaction. That will allow the reviewer to make sure that your network references actually exist on an official level. As for the portion about treating a patient without a dermatologist in your area, try to shorten it. The description of the illness need not be so detailed because the focus should be on how your network was able to help alleviate the patient's illness. So far, you have good references but you need to work on tightening and correcting the presentations per paragraph.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening Networking Essay - physician using network to help patients and to develop professionally