'an entrepreneurial spirit' - JumpStart Essay

pc101 1 / -  
Write about a time when "hard work" paid off.

Your personal statement will be judged on its content not your writing style. Please focus on the substance of your answer. And remember the words of Thomas Jefferson who said, "The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do." Good luck!

(MAX: 250 words) Mine is 244.

----

I was born with an entrepreneurial spirit. Even as a baby, I would escape my crib in the middle of the night and crawl my way into the kitchen and rummage for my milk bottle. The concept of hard work is self-explanatory to me; if I want something, then I will go and get it. When I was in the 8th grade, I wanted nothing more than to go to a rock concert, in which my favorite band was performing. The only problem was that the tickets were extremely expensive - $200. When my friends, who also wanted to go, found out the price of the tickets, they reluctantly sighed and assumed they would not be able to attend. However, I knew that I just had to figure out a way around the situation. As a middle school student, earning $200 in a few weeks timed seemed difficult - but it wasn't impossible. To raise enough money, I set up and managed my own custom t-shirt printing business. I learned everything from scratch; how to print a design properly, iron it onto a shirt, and even basic marketing techniques. I would stay up late at night to perfect the technique, and to deliver high quality products to my customers. I ended up raising more than double the amount that I wanted...almost 500 dollars! And even though the concert was a great reward, I learned a far more valuable lesson: hard work really DOES pay off.
PBP 3 / 9  
"iron into a shirt, and even basic marketing techniques". This does not work because you started off with "how to print..."

Home / Scholarship / 'an entrepreneurial spirit' - JumpStart Essay