Home / Scholarship   % width   Posts: 3

GKS-G Personal Statement Major in Tech Management (Switching from game development)

daBaby 1 / -  
I'm planning to apply for GKS 2025, I know instructions change every year but I still wanted to try and get some reviews if possible on my essay. i'm still confused of my closer on the essay and I'm changing my major from game development to Tech management so tips are warmly welcomed.
----------------------------------------------------
Instructions: Please type in Korean or in English. The essay must be single spaced within THREE pages, with the font Times New Roman/바탕체/돋움체, size 11 (11 points). You can include the following items in your essay.
Motivations with which you apply for this program
Educational background
Significant experiences you have had Person or events that have had a significant influence on you If applicable,
Describe awards you have received, publications you have made, or skills you have acquired, etc.
Others (e.g., extracurricular activities, community service, or work experiences)
---------------------
Art has always been a medium for expressing thoughts, emotions, and narratives that transcend words. It allows the artist to communicate in a way that resonates deeply with others, evoking feelings that words alone cannot capture. However, among the many forms of artistic expression, one that stood out in its ability to reach and engage the widest audience is video games. Since childhood, I have been captivated by games not just as entertainment, but as immersive narratives that invite players to live and breathe stories.

My fascination with games grew in tandem with my affinity for technology. As a young enthusiast with a natural knack for computers, I delved into the world of programming during middle school. It was here that my curiosity began to intertwine with my passion for games. With each new game I played, I found myself increasingly curious about the mechanics behind them-how certain features were crafted, or the logic that powered interactive experiences. This journey of exploration led me to discover the field of game development. From the outset, I knew this was where my future lay. The prospect of creating worlds, shaping narratives, and crafting experiences that resonate deeply with players ignited a fire within me. Thus began my journey into the expansive realm of game development.

Growing up in a small suburb in Pakistan, resources for learning game development were scarce. However, my journey took a pivotal turn when I entered The Islamia University of Bahawalpur (IUB) in 2019 to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Information Technology. My education at IUB provided a solid foundation for my future pursuits in game development. The comprehensive curriculum included courses in programming fundamentals, object-oriented programming, database administration, data structures and algorithms, and software engineering, which honed my technical skills essential for game development. Additionally, courses in communication and presentation skills, entrepreneurship, IT project management, and technical and business writing have equipped me with valuable soft skills that will aid me in my professional endeavors. Prior to this, my academic hard work and potential were recognized through the PEEF scholarship that I received during my matriculation studies. This scholarship covered my intermediate studies in ICS for two years, allowing me to focus on my education without financial concerns.

At the beginning of my third year of university, I joined a software house. While not a dedicated game studio, they housed a dynamic game development team involved in small-scale projects and freelance work. This opportunity was a turning point, allowing me to apply my skills in a practical setting and deepen my understanding of game development beyond academic theories. Up until now, I've worked in this workplace for almost two years, during which I've gained a wealth of knowledge and experience for which I am truly grateful. During this time, my team and I developed an application named ShedHappens. This application functioned much like the LiDAR service of the iPhone, but it was designed for both iOS and Android platforms. ShedHappens enabled phones equipped with AR technology to scan objects and convert them into 3D models. These models could then be used in various applications, such as making props or player models for games or creating 3D models for vendors to market their products. This accomplishment won a presidential award and was placed second in the province, earning us an appreciation award from our company. This recognition highlighted our teamwork and innovative skills.

This role has been incredibly educational, yet I've increasingly felt a disconnect from my true passion. Although I've been using game development tools, my work has largely involved building applications with little relevance to actual game creation. This realization has made me aware that, despite my proficiency with these tools, I haven't been applying them in the context they were designed for. Additionally, I often find myself following others' instructions, unable to create what I truly envision unless I open my own studio. Opening my own game studio has become my top priority. To achieve this, I need both technical and managerial skills. While I am confident in my technical abilities, and my Bachelor's in IT has provided me with some foundational management and business skills, the lack of a prominent game industry in Pakistan has made it challenging to fully pursue my interests in this field. This has led me to seek opportunities abroad to gain the knowledge and experience I need.

In my search, I discovered that many of my favorite game studios, such as Krafton, Nexon, and NCSoft, are based in Korea. Learning that these renowned studios operate in Korea, I explored how I could learn from the professionals there. Given Korea's reputation as a tech hub, I anticipated that it would offer courses in Technology Management with a focus on game development, and indeed many Korean universities have dedicated Technology Management departments where I can learn directly from industry experts. The Technology Management program will offer courses such as Strategic Technology Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Project Management, and Leadership in Technology. These courses will equip me with the skills to effectively manage teams, oversee projects, and make strategic decisions that align with business objectives. Moreover, courses in Financial Management for Technology Ventures and Technology Commercialization will provide insights into managing the financial aspects of a tech business, from securing funding to budgeting and financial planning. Additionally, the program offers hands-on experiences through internships and collaborative projects with industry professionals. These opportunities will allow me to apply theoretical knowledge in real-world settings, gain practical insights, and build a network of industry contacts.

Although I am now shifting my focus to Technology Management, my passion for game development remains a fundamental part of my journey. I believe that understanding game development is crucial for effectively managing technology projects related to it. My experience with game development tools and projects, has provided me with valuable insights into the industry's needs and challenges. By pursuing a Master's in Technology Management, I aim to bridge my technical expertise with managerial skills, allowing me to oversee and drive innovative projects in the game industry. This shift aligns with my goal of establishing my own game studio and leading it successfully, leveraging both my passion and newfound skills.

The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) stands as a perfect opportunity for me to achieve my career goals. This scholarship will provide me with unparalleled access to Korea's leading universities, renowned for their excellence in technology management and innovation. By studying under seasoned professionals and engaging with cutting-edge technology and methodologies, I will acquire the critical skills needed to excel in technology management. The GKS program offers more than just academic enrichment; it immerses me in a culture at the forefront of technological advancement and creative innovation. Learning the Korean language through the language year program will not only facilitate seamless integration into Korea's dynamic tech ecosystem but also enable me to build strong relationships with local professionals and industry experts. This cultural and linguistic immersion will enhance my ability to collaborate effectively and adapt to new challenges.

Through the GKS program, I will gain advanced knowledge in strategic management, including financial oversight and technology commercialization. These skills will be instrumental in achieving my goal of establishing and successfully managing my own game studio. Equipped with a deep understanding of both technical and managerial aspects, I will be well-prepared to drive innovation, manage resources efficiently, and contribute significantly to the global technology management industry.

Ultimately, the GKS program will empower me to bridge the gap between my current expertise and my future ambitions. It will enable me to harness both technical excellence and effective management strategies, fostering growth and innovation in the game development sector. By applying the knowledge and experiences gained through this scholarship, I am committed to advancing the game development industry in Pakistan and nurturing a vibrant community of creative and technical professionals and making a meaningful impact in both Korea and Pakistan.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15169 4859  
Based upon what I have read, I can say that the essay is well crafted. The progression of your career, leading up to this point when you decided to shift clears makes sense. It is not that difficult to connect your previous studies with your graduate course interest. It is still related. Your academics are sound but I wish that you could reference some sort of accomplishments as a student since the GKS program is looking for over achievers who can be assets to their study program. I do not see that in your essay but that is not to say that you application is weak. It is strong enough when based upon your existing credentials. It will be up to the reviewers to decide if you will go through to the next level or not based upon this information.
Vera24 3 / 13 1  
@daBaby
Your personal statement clearly outlines your passion for Technology Management and game development. It effectively connects the GKS program to your career goals and highlights your commitment to making an impact in the industry. Well done!

Home / Scholarship / GKS-G Personal Statement Major in Tech Management (Switching from game development)
Need help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: