God help Zimbabwe - help with my chevening leadershing and influence essay

million talent 1 / 4  

my Leadership achievements

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

Talent Million
mtalentirvin@yahoo.
+263778403615
The British government passion about developing young leaders for a better Zimbabwe has sparked my passion and ambition to apply and become part of their prestigious Chevening Scholar. My ambitious interest in leadership and development of my fellow countrymen and countrywomen combined by working with your institution would be a unique and enriching experience for both parties with young Zimbabweans at large.

With a successful leadership and philanthropic experience I have with minors at Blue Hills probation in Gweru under programs by Boost Fellowship and Enactus Zimbabwe. I have developed strong expertise in rehabilitation, councilling, financial literacy programs, entrepreneurial awareness and enhancement projects as well as project management.

Leadership through social entrepreneurship
I joined Enactus Midlands State university club in 2016 and I was elected the Finance Director of the social entrepreneurship club. We initiated a recycling vertical gardening system which we partner with orphans at Blue Hills Probation center in Gweru as a measure to supplement their needs, activity, money and skills. We trained the juvenile delinquent kids how to construct the vetical gardening structure, planting in the structure and market opportunities for these structure. As a project coordinator I trained more than 18 juveniles from Blue Hills Probation in courses such as financial literacy, basic entrepreneurship, basic information technology, marketing and social engagement. We managed to raise more than US$4 200 in sales from vertical gardening structures as well as more than 40kilogrames of vegetables for the institution. I introduced social engagement days between probation kids and members of our club.

In 2016, we also initiated a new product(temperature bag) to eight family tailors in Senga suburbs who were leaving below the poverty datum line due to stiff competition. This product tripled their incomes . I trained the tailors personal finance management and savings courses.

Other Leadership achievement
being a prefect from form two up to form six
was selected to be a student leader from a student population of over 27000students, Sub Warden for more than 3years during my 4year undergraduate program

Crowned Enactus National Champions in 2017 , i represented Midlands State University as a visual and audio presenter
Enactus World Cup in London, UK 2017 Semi finalist representing Zimbabwe as an audio and visual presenter

In supplement to the above, my internship in Finance Division for which I was managing independently all payments of the whole Expenditure Accounts Dept for Air Zimbabwe Pvt Ltd gave me the perfect insights into your current targeting young graduates in bridging the leadership crisis to the rest of Zimbabwe.

I succeed at working independently as much as I enjoy mutually sharing creative ideas, mentorship program, financial literacy programs with other team members. I am enthusiastic about studying my masters degree now given the opportunity to widen my knowledge, exposure and necessary skills required to be a force of leadership to other young Zimbabweans.

With God being my helper i am looking forward to be part of the Chevening Alumnus leading the Zimbabwe
Duzaho 4 / 9 3  
Hello Talent, you have just successfully listed all the stages in your life where you have lead.
You need to mention one or two examples of your leadership roles and elaborate on that.
For example the mentorship programme, say how you influence the kids you were with to consider your advice.
Say how you have been able to influence two or three young kids from a bad habit...
Another example is being a student representative as you have mentioned above, how/what did you do to change such multitude of people from a point A to a better people that is, to a point B. What did this group achieve as a reason of your ACTUAL LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCE SKILLS.

I advice you rewrite another essay focusing on these areas of your leadership roles ...
@million talent why are you submitting a cover letter with a resume attached to it for your leadership and influencing essay? This is definitely not the way to respond to the prompt requirements. This is not an essay that Chevening will consider taking seriously. I strongly encourage you to look at the samples of Chevening Leadership and Influencing essays at this forum and follow the format of those essays. Most specially when it comes to information presentation. Learn how to write the leadership and influencing essay in its proper essay form otherwise, you may not make it past the screening round.

Develop an essay that showcases your leadership and influencing style by using a specific event from your participation in this volunteer group. Don't just enumerate it like you do in this essay. You are not applying for a job. You are trying to justify your qualifications to be awarded one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. Write it properly in order to increase your chances for consideration. Read the samples, learn from their presentations, then develop your essay accordingly based on your own information and experience as an influential leader.
OP million talent 1 / 4  
thankk you so much ...i will do so and get back to you
annisa2695 2 / 8  
hallo @million talent your some info about leadership skills sounds great, but the as i know the reviewer would like to see explanation about one of your best experience regarding leadership and also influence skills to show up your ability so they will know that you are capable to be future leader. :)
OP million talent 1 / 4  
thank you so much annisa ..what area do you think i can edit
OP million talent 1 / 4  
below is a revised version of my story

Having kicked off my early childhood in the rural areas, my scope for intellectual and leadership development was limited. Could only picture a life where my only mandate was survival. After getting an opportunity to finish my secondary education in the high-density suburb of Mabvuku, my perception on personal goals and purpose started to evolve to that of a leader, game changer which resulted in my selection as a senior prefect towards the end of my secondary education.

Before I went on to pursue a Bachelors degree in Banking and Finance at Midlands State University, I worked as a part time intern for Finance Division at Air Zimbabwe to fundraise my tertiary education where I would often lead or take charge of small tasks. After my contract finished I then enrolled at Midlands State University. During my first year, I was selected to be a warden for university Halls of Residence which housed over 3600 students. My exceptional work ethic and leadership display enabled me to be recalled for the same position for the coming 3 years until my graduation.

In 2016 I was invited to join Enactus Midlands State University. The organization focused on community driven projects and social entrepreneurship. Due to my active participation and my finance background, I was elected as the Finance Director of the organization for 2016-17. During my tenure, I worked well with the team to come up with successful revenue generating, cost cutting and project funding ideas. In that year, we initiated a skills transfer based project where we worked with youths at BlueHills Probation Centre to create vertical gardening systems. I managed to develop a finance framework which involved creating and leading a financial literacy training team, which managed to train all our 34 project beneficiaries on basic finance and money management skills. I was able to come up with various projects that worked with marginalised women and young adults. These projects allowed us to win the Enactus National competitions in 2017 and I managed to represent Zimbabwe at the Enactus World Cup in London as part of the presentation team.

Late 2017, I was selected to manage the finance department of Christ Embassy Youth Church. The role enabled me to lead and work with various departments of our church. I also managed to utilize the role to seek finance for capacity development programs for young people at my church. We have managed to organise the Billionaire Mindset Concert where we have managed to invite successful business people in Zimbabwe such as Shingi Munyeza. This has also enabled me to be invited to similar workshops on leadership development and project financing by other branches. Some of the workshops include (International Pastors and Leaders Conference in Nigeria and Leaders and Partners Conference in South Africa ) which took place in September and October of 2018 respectively.

I believe the Chevening Scholarship will significantly assist me to enhance my leadership potential to create more impact and transform the lives of many people in marginalised communities.

Home / Scholarship / God help Zimbabwe - help with my chevening leadershing and influence essay