Help--Dyslexic, struggled with learning disabilities

ambajean 1 / 1  
Until now, I have lacked the opportunity to make my education, passions, and future goals a priority. Growing up, I not only witnessed my fathers daily struggle with life, bipolar disorder, and alcoholism, but I myself took on adult-responsibilities as a child during the midst of my parents divorce, overcame an abusive relationship with my step-father, conquered an eating disorder, and managed to develop into a strong individual with an appreciation for life and the utilization of my artistic talents and abilities, regardless of being diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder and dyslexia. Since I have been financially independent since childhood, I have been working to survive on a daily basis with the inability to focus on my future. My grandmother presented me with my diseased grandfather's camera when I was ten years old. I immediately knew it was my calling in life. Even though I struggled with learning disabilities, I poured my heart and soul into the art by reading, experimenting, using every opportunity to provide beautiful preserved memories for others by photographing weddings, newborn children, or maternity photographs. Photography has been very rewarding in knowing that I have the ability to provide others with a memory to treasure indefinitely, but also serves as a way to express myself, share my talents, and witness the beauty and joys in life, regardless of past struggles. If rewarded this scholarship, I will finally have the ability to receive appropriate education, gain confidence in my talent, and pursue a fulfilling career that brings much happiness to me. If rewarded this scholarship, you will help make my dream a reality.
...but I myself also took on adult-responsibilities as a child. During the process of my parents' divorce, I overcame an abusive relationship with my step-father conquered and an eating disorder, and I managed to develop into a strong individual with deep appreciation for life. I utilized my artistic talents and abilities, regardless despite having been being diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder and dyslexia.

Above, that was such a long sentence, I had to break it up for you! :-)

Since I have been financially independent responsible since childhood, I have been working to survive on a daily basis with the inability to focus on my future. ---- is it okay that I changed independent to "responsible?" It seems unrealistic for a child to be financially independent.

Start a new paragraph with this sentence! ------> My grandmother presented me with my diseased grandfather's camera when I was ten years old, because he had become too sick to enjoy using it.

:-) you must have become very strong because of all the struggle. I hope you will someday read a book by Thich Nhat Hanh, because his is some wisdom with which you can surely identify.
OP ambajean 1 / 1  
Kevin,

Thank you so much for taking time to help me! I REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate it. Yes, I am strong, but proud of myself for it. Sometimes it's easier, I've learned, to sulk and sit in a pool of anger and emotion, but I've also realized that everything happens for a reason and all the things I've been through have made me who I am today... So, I just try to look forward and keep progressing... I'll have to check out the book you suggested! Thank you again!!!!

Home / Scholarship / Help--Dyslexic, struggled with learning disabilities