Hispanic family, My Dad; QuestBridge Biography

alerob 1 / -  
Prompt: We are interested in learning more about you and the context in which you have grown up, formed your aspirations and accomplished your academic successes. Please describe the factors and challenges that have most shaped your personal life and aspirations. How have these factors caused you to grow? (800 words)

Growing up in a Hispanic family, I learned a lot about the meaning of hard work. My dad has been my role model throughout my life. He has given up so much and worked so hard in order to provide for us. When my family moved to the United States my dad was not able to be employed in his profession since he graduated from Mexico and his diploma was not validated in the United States. Engineering is his passion, yet he had to give up what he loves doing most in order to give my family and I a better life in the United States. He started off as being just a secretary in an engineering company. He them proved to be an excellent mathematician and was promoted to the assistant of an engineer. He continued to move from company to company, depending on which one offered him a better option to improve himself. He ended up working as an actual civil engineer and months later decided he wanted to open his own company. Currently he is studying for his PE exam in order to become a licensed engineer; he's also doing small construction and repairing jobs around the area in order to get his name out there and show what he is capable of doing. I have watched my dad struggle to get to where he is now. I have observed him constantly looking for opportunities to better himself. He taught me to never give up on your dreams.

My dream has always been to attend an Ivy League and become a research scientist. My academic success has been formed around the words that my dad has always told me, "If it's important to you you'll find a way, if not you'll find an excuse". Achieving my dream is the most important thing in the world to me. I have learned that one must be willing to work hard in order to be successful. School has always been my number one priority because education is a key factor in life. Without education nothing is possible, without education achieving my dream would not be possible. I work hard in order to obtain the grades that I want because I realize that nothing will be handed to you in a silver platter.

My dad has taught me that opportunity will not come knocking on your door; you have to go out and find them on your own. By following his example I have been able to accomplish many things. Last year I really wanted to enter the science fair. Even if it was my first year entering the competition I wanted to make an impact with my project. I decided to go out and look for a mentor to assist me. I went to the University of Texas at El Paso and talked to several professors about my idea. Many of them said turned me down, but I didn't let that stop me from looking for that opportunity to find someone that would help me. Dr. Jorge Lopez, a physics professor at the UTEP, agreed to help me with my project. I collaborated with him in a project called x-ray fluorescence, which consisted of a method of explaining the history of the civilization in an area by analyzing pottery samples, discovered in that area using the properties of x-ray fluorescence and the photoelectric effect. I presented the project at my school's science fair and advanced all the way to state. At the district competition my project was awarded most outstanding. I didn't let all those rejections keep me from finding someone who would help me. Working on this project was an amazing experience, one that I would not have been able to encounter if I had given up the first time I was told "no".

I strongly believe that the environment in which we are raised and the experiences that we observe shape who we become. I grew up raised by a man who never let anything stand in his way of accomplishing his goals, a man whose actions and struggle heavily shaped my personal outlook. "Never give up" is not just a saying once you understand its real meaning. I know that the sky is not the limit because if I set my mind to go further I could reach another galaxy. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction and success depends on how hard a person is willing to work.
Growing up in a Hispanic family, I learned a lot about the meaning of hard work.

Growing up in a Hispanic family, I understood the meaning of hard work.

My dad has been my role model throughout my life. He has given up so much and worked so hard in order to provide for us.

My dad, my role model throughout my life, gave so much and worked so hard in order to provide us with the best life he could.

When my family moved to the United States my dad was not able to be employed in his profession since he graduated from Mexico and his diploma was not validated in the United States.

When we moved into the US, my dad could not continue his profession as an engineer since his Mexican qualification was not recognized in the States.

Home / Scholarship / Hispanic family, My Dad; QuestBridge Biography