How you meet the key selection criteria for the Scholars Program At University of Edinburgh

Aamxr 1 / -  
Reflecting on your life so far, tell us how you meet the key selection criteria for the Scholars Program. Please include any barriers you have faced in your education and early career. (250 Words)

Selection Process

The selection process for applications is based on the following criteria:

1. Academic merit of the candidate that qualifies for admissions to the University of Edinburgh
2. Track record as a transformative leader and service within their community.
3. Quality of application in line with the Scholars Program theme of climate justice.
4. Potential impact on the development of the applicant's home country.
5. Applicants who have faced significant barriers to education (social, financial, personal, practical or health related).

In this essay, I have discussed only two things: how I academically fit this program and the barriers to my education. I have not been able to address all of the selection criteria due to the 250-word limit, but I will provide additional information in other essays in my application. I would be grateful for feedback from anyone who has won this scholarship or has any other insights to offer.

Throughout high school, I have consistently achieved academic excellence, top ranking, in the national graduating class. In undergraduate, I have GPA 3.55/4.0 that shows the natural aptitude for understanding technical concepts. Beyond my grades, I actively participate in discussions and seek out opportunities to strengthen my knowledge. I spent time reviewing materials, practicing problem sets, discussing academic topics with professors, and started a tutoring program at my department . I conducted advanced marine research with my professor, which resulted in a published paper.. My strong grades in advanced and complex courses and extraciluar activities demonstrate my motivation and ability to take on postgraduate coursework.

I grow up in Mogadishu, a Warzone. as we internally displaced many times in search of a stable life. In such circumstances, getting an education was nearly impossible. My mother, a university graduate, was my first teacher. She taught us the Somali and English alphabets,and basic education. After some time, schools opened, and we were able to continue our education, but challenges persisted throughout our education until we finished the school.

Starting university was difficult because financial situation. My father had unemployed, and my mother owned a small shop in our village. My university was private, and we struggled to pay the required tuition. In the second semester, I won a full scholarship and was able to continue my education until graduation.Despite my financial limitations and an unstable environment, I persevered through determination and my mother's early lessons, achieving my academic goals against the odds.
You cannot select which portions of the criteria to address in the essay. Those are not optional questions or requirements, they are serious screening considerations. Therefore, you have to start over from 0. Develop a new, summary form essay that will help you address all the aspects required. You do not need to over discuss or over explain yourself in the presentation. You just have to present a short explanation of how you fit that criteria. Do not overthink it. Overanalysing the content is what led you to not address all of the requirements in the first place. You should onlly discuss the criteria where required. It will not help your application to spread out your responses in other aspects. Respond as required.

Home / Scholarship / How you meet the key selection criteria for the Scholars Program At University of Edinburgh