The national and international level - Strong leadership and personal influence - Chevening

madinamodesta 1 / 3  

Leading and influencing requires knowledge

Being a leader is like running a family. If you are a good example for your family members and get on well, communicate with empathy, support at fun and hard times, motivate them to do their best with the high rate of honesty and confidence, your family would achieve more successes in the society. With a few above-mentioned examples, I confirm my leadership potential to become one of the best influencers in my country in the field I have selected.

Firstly, having the ability of inspiring people around me and being a responsible for my work provided me to reach a trainer position after six-month work as a language teacher. As an example from professional experience is that only with one-year teaching experience, I was appointed to be a trainer for English language teachers at the Retraining Institute in my region. Completing a four-month course, 70 percent of the teachers in my group passed the test successfully from State Test Center and gained a certificate of having 30 percent bonus for their salary. To achieve all the provided examples, I simply followed my own principles: taking full responsibility for making decisions and be fully committed to my work and my team.

Another factor which leads to a leadership is a personal influence. By organizing Speaking and debate clubs, I encourage my pupils to perform better in the target language. Moreover, on the dates of celebrations, I organized different language competitions among pupils and performances about ancient scientists and writers around the globe which inspired pupils to acquire the language enthusiastically. As a result, two of my pupils, hold a first place in the regional language Olympiad. Another one won a notebook and achieved the certificate in the Essay Contest.

Leading and influencing requires a potential knowledge. Therefore, I want to broaden my knowledge at an internationally recognized University in the UK. Obtaining a Chevening scholarship will be vital for me to sharpen my leadership skills at the national and international level; in addition, it provides me with the opportunity of fully committing my studies which serves to achieve my long-term career goals in the future.
Being a trainer and being a leader are two different things. A trainer, is not the same as a leader, but is the same as a teacher. Unless you can show some leadership skills that actually relate to your promotion to trainer, then the reference to this as a leadership position is incorrect. You trained them, they passed the test. Good job. However, there is no leadership trait contained within that reference, which is why it is a weak and irrelevant discussion point in the essay.

Influencing also needs to be done in relation to your leadership skills. Leading a team through a difficult time, invigorating them to continue despite obstacles, encouraging flagging team members to succeed, inspiring them to success, these are all influencing examples that need to be reflected in your presentation. When you lead students and encourage them, the truth is, as their teacher, they have no choice but to follow your instructions. Whether you truly inspire them or not, you are their leader by default, and they do not have the free will to disobey you, which negates the need to actually influence their actions.

The weakest part of this essay is that there is no reference to your potential as a local or national leader and influencer. As a teacher, you are limited in your capacity to inspire and lead. If you were a member of a notable organization and you used that membership to lead and influence people within your profession or related areas, then you will have shown either a local or national leadership and influencer potential.
OP madinamodesta 1 / 3  
thank you for taking the time to review my work. I try to exchange the points you mentioned

Home / Scholarship / The national and international level - Strong leadership and personal influence - Chevening