My essay for an OFID scholarship application to do my masters at UNESCO-IHE

joseph256 2 / 3  
A short essay of maximum 500 word Giving reasons for applying for the OFID scholarship, explaining your educational goals, and clearly describing how you will use the experience gained from your Master's degree studies to help in the development of your home country.

pursuing Master Programme in Water Science and Engineering

Climatic changes in Uganda have affected the livelihoods of many people in various ways, but most significantly farmers who largely rely on rain fed agriculture and cattle watering for survival. Most challenging to the people is the food insecurity largely due to the long drought periods experienced coupled with very low rainfall amounts and poor soil fertility that cannot support farming.

The state of art use of the available hydrological information is also inadequate due to limited use of the available hydrological and water resource models which can allow simulation of events to forecast scenarios and predict trends in water resources. Integrated and sustainable water resource management requires an in-depth assessment of a hydrological variability in response to climate change which is only possible with the integration of proper hydrological modelling. This requires among others, a pool of professionals with advanced training in hydrology and water resources than is currently available. Therefore, I would like to be one of the highly trained professional to provide expertise and leadership in water science and engineering in Uganda with a special focus in hydrology and water resources.

I have recently received a conditional admission to UNESCO-IHE to pursue Master Programme in Water Science and Engineering with a specialization in hydrology and water resources. Acquiring the OFID scholarship will give me the much needed financial assistance and an opportunity to pursue my masters at IHE institute for water education. I will be able to contribute to the development of my country after completing my master's programme. The programme will equip me with skills necessary for dealing with issues that affect both ground and surface water in terms of quantity and quality to help address water security. The masters studies will enable me have in-depth understanding of water resources management and engineering in general and better conceptualize the impacts of human activities on the hydrological cycle; skills that are expected to combat catchment degradation and reduce frequency of droughts and floods. The programme will further equip me with practical skills on the application of available tools for hydrological modelling necessary for forecasting scenarios and predicting changes in the hydrological processes at a catchment, sub-catchment and micro-catchment scales. I will apply the knowledge and skills acquired in consulting services and share with other professional through conferences, workshops and seminars. The hydrological modelling skills acquired will enable me perform hydrological forecasting and prediction of future drought occurrences to better inform farmers on their activities. I will disseminate the acquired skills throughout my active professional lifetime; however, intensive information sharing is key to me and I plan to part time as a lecturer at one of the higher learning institutions and pass on the knowledge to students.
Maitouyen282 9 / 26 3  
@joseph256
Hi! your scholarship was great but you have some problem.Firstly ,your voccabuary, you should use mor words such as Therefore, consequently or however, you should use all of them , maybe it will make your work is more influency and connected.

Secondly , your grammar , your sentences are too long and make me a little confused suh as this sentence have recently received a conditional admission to UNESCO-IHE to pursue Master Programme in Water Science and Engineering . May be I can understand what it means but the position of them has little estimated.

You should give the effort or promise in this work . What will you do after recieving this scholarship . So.ething like will work hard or put or the headline in this
Joseph, don't tell the reviewer what you expect to learn and be prepared for after you complete your studies, explain to the reviewer how you plan to utilize the theoretical and practical skills that you will acquire during this period of education. This is a post study plan that you have to write. Indicate your career goals in relation to the problems that you indicated in the previous paragraph. You already know how the program will prepare you for the profession you want to engage in. Tell the reviewer how you plan to use these elements to the betterment of the country. What organization will you join in order to share the knowledge you now have? How do you plan to conduct information dissemination for the benefit of your farmers? What goals do you have in mind for yourself in relation to the advancement of your career? How will this, in turn, benefit your country? Try to respond to these questions in order to develop a better draft response for the prompt.
OP joseph256 2 / 3  
practical

thank you very much Holt let me redraft to incorporate your advice. looking forward to your much appreciated critiquing.
Okay. This essay works. The information you have provided suits the expected prompt response. However, the last paragraph is really running a bit long. the length makes it difficult to read and keep track of. I hope you will consider dividing the paragraph into 2 parts. That means you have to create another paragraph based upon the original one. To create the paragraph, you just have to choose the perfect part of the essay where a new discussion idea is presented and hit the enter key at that point. Creating the line break makes the essay more understandable and offers the reviewer a better opportunity to consider the information regarding your post study plan implementation. Upon the creation of the new paragraph, you can consider your essay suitable for submission already. No additional work required.
OP joseph256 2 / 3  
hello @Holt i really appreciate the your input in helping me come up with a usable essay for my scholarhip application. i made the final change u advised and goodto go now.

I hope I can make it through. Thank you very much.

Hope to work with you on more essays in future.

Home / Scholarship / My essay for an OFID scholarship application to do my masters at UNESCO-IHE