My plan: a faculty member at some well known University or a Research Scientist of an organization

Duzaho 4 / 9 3  

Career Plan essay for chevening

The Minister of Science and Technology Ogbonnaya Onu say "his department most important focus areas are Education, Agriculture, Health, Crime Control Communication and Space. The above statement is justified by the significant history the nation have on Science and Innovation these include the invention of the World Fastest Computer in 1989, designing the First Solid Fuel Rocket, and leading on groundbreaking research into the use of local herbs for cancer therapy. Apart from being the largest black nation in the world, she also have the largest economy in Africa by size at $415.08 Billion. Her Education Sector especially the science education is faced with the problem of large class size, lack or poor state of science facilities which include Equipments, Laboratories, Libraries to mention a few. Being a teacher by profession, I see the need to contribute towards the transformation of the educational sector in my country.

Upon my arrival, my immediate plan will be to return to my work, now loaded with so much knowledge in my field of studies learned during the Master's degree in the United Kingdom. First of all, I will continue as a Subject Teacher for at least two years before proceeding continue the journey towards becoming a Lecturer in a well known University and use my skills and abilities to good practice. In addition to the teenage mentorship programme, the Teaching will be for a period of 2 to 3 years which will give me the opportunity to continue the positive impact I have started in my community. After Lecturing for around five years, I would have gained enough confidence and experience needed to further my career, I will apply for a phD degree, most preferably in the United Kingdom.

With a phD degree, my career will be either a faculty member at some well known University or a Research Scientist of an organization in my native country. As a professor in Physics in a well known University in my country, I will have the opportunity to develop connections with other Doctors,

Faculty Members and students of similar interest both within and outside the country thereby leading to the development in the Education sector.
Five years from now, I wish to establish a private school in my State. This citadel of learning will have up-to-date Science Laboratories, Libraries Science Equipments, and limited number of students in each class. Teachers will be motivated and the performance in both internal and external examinations in the country will be improved. I will offer a free education programme to the orphans in my community, this will give them a reason to believe in dreams once again.

The UK Space Agency MoU with Nigeria counterpart NARSDA, the partnership between Procter and Gamble and the University of Lagos (UniLag) and other research consortia which have lead to a student/lecturer exchange programmes. I will be honored if Chevening Scholarship will give me the opportunity to be part of a Scholarship that will strengthen these two countries with a brilliant perdure in my career path.
lany83 6 / 15 4  
Hi, focus on some project your country has with the UK, that's what they want. See DFID, CDC and try to associate with your career plan, this is essential to your essay, because that's what Chevening wants. The first paragraph is very big, do not need to explain much, be precise and focus on the cooperation between the two countries. Hope this helps
Legecy 4 / 8 1  
Hello! As a fellow teacher who's also applying for chevening, this answer sounds right and make sense. However, you lack of mention what UK do in your country and how you may use your education to contribute for it. You mentioned a MoU between UK and your country in the last paragraph and I think you should develop that into more detailed paragraph what contribution can you make with that.
Duzaho, you are a very confused person. The focus of your post career plan is not clear. Do you want to help develop Space Science in your country or do you want to increase the abilities of teachers and strengthen the educational sector? Once you figure out which of the two you really want to focus on for your post graduate studies, then write a new and properly focused essay based on that career plan. Don't go beyond the 5 year career plan. Your PhD does not have any relevance in this plan.

In order to better align your essay with the UK relationship requirement, you should look for the DFID connection in your country. The educational programs of the UK agency are detailed fully in the Independent Commission for Aid Impact report. Try to secure a copy of the old or updated report and use that as the basis of your post career plan in relation to developing the working relationship between yourself, your professional plans and goals, and the UK.

Remember, write a new essay. What you presented in this thread is a post study plan that is usable in a general sense with other universities. It is not for use with scholarship applications of any sort, most specially not for Chevening.
OP Duzaho 4 / 9 3  
Thanks legacy I will look into your suggestions.
I really appreciate your efforts Holt, I will rewrite another essay focussing on the Independent Commission for Aid Impact report this time around.

Home / Scholarship / My plan: a faculty member at some well known University or a Research Scientist of an organization