The song "Win" by Brian McKnight is about hope, faith, and perseverance - and it expresses who I am

sidchilling 2 / 3 2  
If you could choose one song that expresses who you are, what is it and why? (250 words maximum)

The song Win by Brian McKnight is about hope, faith, and perseverance - hope that one will someday win, faith in oneself to win, and perseverance as the means to win.

When I could not clear IIT-JEE, an engineering entrance examination, I was disappointed in myself for I had worked hard towards that goal. However, I told myself that I could "weather the storm" and made full use of my college education. The perseverance paid off and I was among the first five people in my class to get a job during the campus placements. The "never say die" attitude guided me towards the "win".

The song talks about failure that I strongly relate to. When I had to shut down operations of my venture RideApp, everything looked bleak. This song lifted up my spirits by reinforcing an ever important message - that failure is just falling, that it's not permanent failure, and that I should "just get up and try again". Picking myself up, I started working on TalentMatch. Although TalentMatch didn't work out, I have not lost hope and faith. I believe, as the song says, "there still a ways to go" - there are new directions to explore and new things to do. I believe in myself and "whatever it takes, I know I'll never quit".

I resonate with the core message of the song that "now is the time" to work towards my goals, which I will achieve "someday, somehow".

Number of words: 244
Sid, the first experience that you related in your response, while interesting, does not have the same impact and connection to the song elements as your second experience does. If you were to not include the part about failing the test, and instead told the story about having to shut down the operations of your venture, the message and inspiration of the song in your life becomes stronger, more relevant, and strengthening.

If you are thinking about how you will not be meeting the word count if you relay only one story, you will be wrong. The maximum word count is just the guide by which your essay content and length can be controlled by the reviewer. The idea is to make sure you do not go overboard in expressing yourself. So as long as you are above the minimum but not over the maximum, your essay will be more than acceptable and will be better appreciated by the reviewer :-)

Home / Scholarship / The song "Win" by Brian McKnight is about hope, faith, and perseverance - and it expresses who I am