Home / Student Talk   % width Posts: 12

Strategy to improve writing and listening?

yang247 1 / -  
Hi everyone!
I am happy to be here and a new member of this forum.
My goal and expectations are that my comprehension, reading, listening, and pronunciation like a native level quality, within one year time.
My English is poor now so I am really want to improve my writing, listening skills.
I try to read newspapers on BBC, CNN beside I listen to NPR (National public raido) everyday but I don't know how to read and listen the most effectively. In addition, I don't know to how to improve my writing.

Can everyone give me advice to help me gain my goal.
Thanks everyone so much!
deepakbaniya 3 / 92 2  
Eslpod dot com is useful in listening.
Byliners dot com, successfulenglish dot com, Nytimes's opinion page is very good in essay writing.
NPR , like you said is also wonderful
Source for learning.

In YouTube search english listening, speaking etc.
YouTube is Very helpful in learning things.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
For improving listening I recommend you to watch documentary films. Sitcoms are also helpful, especially "Friends".
In order to work on writing I think the best source is a book entitled "The Practical Writer with Reading". This book starts with paragraph writing and gives you wonderful information about the organization and structure of an essay. It also makes you familiar with punctuation.

In addition, you should read various texts to ameliorate your writing skills.
FredParisFrance 61 / 7  
You can watch movies with subtitles on - it should help.
shafaq - / 2  
hi guys i need ur help i m gonna do ielts and my english is very poor i want to improve my speaking skill plz i want a female friend who has experiance...plz if any female wana b my friend add me
mforero333 3 / 5  
To tell you the truth, I think the only way to improve your language dramatically is to sign up for some English classes. If not, I would continue watching tv and movies. Doing that really helps! My brother learned french all by himself just by watching movies. Of course, this took longer than a year so that's why I recommend the classes. best of luck!
amitt - / 80  
Thanks a lot for giving suggestions! I am tried twice for IELTS but unfortunately got 6.5 which is 1 point less to celebrate my "INDEPENDANCE DAY." I think people more and more should share their personal thoughts. I do watch & listen BBC,CNN, English movies & try to understand. English classes are good but they also seem to me more money making machines. I suggest to buy DVD as well as Cds too in English learning lessons. I also suggest to browse more and more google & read lot and lot and lot.

one website is www dot readcentral dot com or just type "to read free books online" in google you will get list of websites
cherry_09 3 / 6  
if you want to prove your english read some novels and watch a movie to expand your english skills.
shafaq - / 2  
female who want to help me add me on skype s (safaq dot zulqrnai)
IMQ 2 / 3  
keep on writing and reading~!
dobalilago 3 / 10  
watching movies with subs on really does work.
Paijin 3 / 11  
I try to watch movie by turn on subtitle. It is really work. Furthermore, I download 6 minute english from BBC website and listen everyday. This is very helpful, if you are a beginner because there are script that you can read the conversation that you listen.

I hope this will help ;D

Home / Student Talk / Strategy to improve writing and listening?