'Academics, diversity, and athletics' - why Northwestern essay

zeez 1 / 1  
hello world
can you help me with my why northwestern essay please? i'd like suggestions not only on grammar but content too. the only major problem i see is that it sound as if i followed a template (I didnt) and put in words at the right places to tailor it to northwestern. also, do colleges frown on that? i know they dont want to see another schools name

thanks for your help

What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Few universities provide the balance of academic excellence and robust student life that Northwestern offers. In addition to being nationally ranked for academia, Northwestern attracts me with opportunities to participate in painting the Rock, the Happiness Club, and countless other clubs and activities while simultaneously offering a stellar education.

I plan to take full advantage one of the top engineering and science schools in the country by majoring in computer science at the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science. As computers become increasingly integrated into every aspect of society, computer science majors will be in high demand. Consequently, I have begun to educate myself in the programming language C. By studying the numerous facets of computer science offered at McCormick, I'll have a strong foundation to make a contribution to the world as technology reaches new frontiers. McCormick's small class sizes, excellent professors, and challenging curriculum offer the opportunity to develop my knowledge and skills as a computer science major.

The student body's diversity is also an important quality that attracts me to Northwestern. I believe it is of utmost importance for individuals to experience different cultures and beliefs than their own. Northwestern's student body is comprised of students from all over the world, and I welcome the opportunity to learn about new cultures I have not yet had the pleasure of encountering. I also hope to contribute to Northwestern's diversity with my background of living in a diverse community and family. As a first generation English immigrant, I have been regularly immersed in English culture. I have also experienced Jamaican and Nigerian cultures through my uncles and cousins. I value my multi-ethnic experiences and Northwestern's student body reflects these values.

The availability of high-grade athletic facilities and clubs also attracts me to Northwestern. I have always been and active person; I started playing soccer at four years old and have continuously been involved in competitive soccer, baseball, football, or basketball since. While my athletic ambition is to play for Northwestern's varsity soccer team, I have countless opportunities to remain active if I do not make the team. In addition to the three gyms located throughout the campus, Northwestern's lakeshore paths provide a picturesque setting for a morning run. Northwestern's intramural sports are also an excellent source for both fun and exercise. The prospect of forming dodgeball and flag football teams seems like an excellent way to meet friends, have fun, and maintain my natural competitive instinct.

Academics, diversity, and athletics are the primary qualities I've considered throughout my college selection process. Many schools provide one or two of the qualities I look for, but only one university has the balance of all three. To me, Northwestern is the perfect university; providing countless ways to challenge both my brain and my body.
reidabook 6 / 19  
consequently, I have begun to educate myself in the programming language C.

I don't think consequently is the word you want here

To make it sound a little less canned I would try to integrate the paragraphs together so you're not simply stating points
dyj921 2 / 8  
It is really a tad too formal and structured. Loosen up alittle, let the voice inside you speak out. Although why XXX college essays are really kinda dead and boring, I am pretty sure you should try to make it less corporate and more personal. Good luck with your admission! BTW im applying to northwestern as well and im having just as much trouble.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Academics, diversity, and athletics' - why Northwestern essay