Ali Forney Center for LGBT youth; SERVICE ESSAY PRINCETON

hazelhoff 4 / 17 4  
Sitting across from Eighteen, admiring her dark shiny perfectly flat ironed hair, I found it hard to believe that she was once a boy named Aaron. There to drop off a donation to the Ali Forney Center for LGBT youth, I listened to her tales of being kicked out of her home for being transgender. From the age of fourteen until eighteen she'd lived in shelters, strangers' homes, and on the street, prostituting herself to stay alive. She calls herself "Eighteen" because that is when she found the Center and reclaimed her life. I spoke to another girl named Angel who had been strangled by her minister father for being a lesbian. When she escaped her home and came to New York, she stayed in adult shelters but never felt safe. Eventually she found a home at the Ali Forney Center and is now going to school.

It was incredible to know that a bunch of Catholic school girls wearing blue jeans were able to bring such needed help to these marginalized teens. You'd be surprised by what some girls will do to get out of wearing our plaid uniform skirt. As president of the student government I've raised around $25,000 dollars by orchestrating "Denim Days." With a minimum donation of $5 (most give more), you can wear blue jeans with your polo for a whole day. We've donated money to breast cancer research, incarcerated mothers, and even the children of Zimbabwe (the nuns at our school act as the mules to sneak the money into the country).

Open-minded and inclusive, my school contradicts the stereotypical notions of Catholic institutions. Last year, my Catholic, head-of-the-religious-department minister officiated at the wedding of my lesbian French teacher. Every year we have an ally week, where we address the biases that may ostracize some of our classmates who have different sexual identities.

When my friend and I proposed the idea for a gay-straight alliance club called "PRISM," there was no hesitation in approving it. As part of the club we are required to read the news every day and keep a keen eye on the status of the gay community. When we heard that Hurricane Sandy had destroyed one of our local shelters for LGBTQ youth called the Ali Forney Center, we didn't hesitate to take action - sending love and relief their way.

It wasn't until I met Eighteen, Angel, and the other teens I was directly affecting that I realized the importance of affinity groups. I saw in their eyes an appreciation of my understanding and genuine concern. Just as important as financial assistance is the establishment of an emotional fellowship.

PRISM has opened my eyes to the simple need for compassion and consideration in life. I have grown not only as a world citizen, but also as someone who realizes that change won't happen without action. Whether a Catholic or an atheist like me, and whether one is gay or straight, this call to action exists equally for everyone.
She calls herself "Eighteen" because that is when she found the Center and reclaimedregained her life.

Eventually she found a home at the Ali Forney Center and is now going to school.

Eventually, she found her home at the Ali Forney Center which helped continue her studies.

It wasn't until I met Eighteen, Angel, and the other teens I was directly affecting that I realized the importance of affinity groups

...this line is somewhat confusing... your idea is not conveyed properly... you need to fix that.
OP hazelhoff 4 / 17 4  
The phrase is actually "reclaim your life" so that isn't wrong...
What is confusing about the "importance of affinity groups" line...it is unclear that PRISM is an affinity group?
How is the essay overall?

Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / Ali Forney Center for LGBT youth; SERVICE ESSAY PRINCETON