Application Essay What got me into architecture, how does it manifest itself in my everyday life?

Valltax 1 / 1  
Architecture became my passion in life when I was around thirteen. Architecture wasn't just a way to expression my creativity, but to make others question what they thought was beautiful. Most people walk into a building, and that's it. What people don't know is that architecture is always swaying their emotions one way or another. All forms of art affect the way people feel, their thoughts,and their actions. The shared goal of a real artist is making the viewers feel something. The challenges of designing something as large as a building, as common as a building, and yet achieving the same effect the Mona Lisa does when wandering tourist look upon it, is something much more than just art. The beauty of architecture is that the idea the designers want you to have is very subtle. Everytime you walk into a building it affects the way you think. Everything in a well planned piece of architecture is thought out and done to make the viewer feel or do a specific thing; If it's as simple as making you move in a specific direction, or as complex as making you feel stuck and trapped so you stay longer. Architecture requires us to open up to the idea that we are affected by our surroundings. All feelings are affected by the environment around us. The design of a building is so much more than just inorganic curves and stainless steel, but it's the complexity of how it affects a person's emotion. One of my favorite quotes from Alain de Botton's book The Architecture of Happiness says, "You think philosophy is difficult, but I tell you, it is nothing compared to the difficulty of being a good architect." As someone who has always enjoyed art, I've tried everything from 3D animation to caricature. Nothing really stuck over time other than architecture. I started studying architectural drafting my freshman year of high school. Being the top of my shop class, I landed myself opportunities in an internship and dual enrollment classes in college. These opportunities only reinforced my passion and reassured me that this is what I want to do. Architecture was the true balance of everything I love, puzzles, philosophy, and design. Knowing everything I know now I walk into each building with a different mindset than everyone else.
Chris, a word of advice, you really need to learn how to divide your essay into paragraphs. This bunched up format just doesn't work for the reader. It makes the eyes tired and reading difficult. A formal essay should be divided into at least 5 paragraphs. I hope you can find a way to do that with the revisions I will be suggesting.

Now, the discussion asks you to reflect upon architecture in your everyday life. Unfortunately, that is not what you discussed. What you presented was an opinion paper regarding architecture instead. The best approach to correcting this error would be for you to write a totally new essay.

You can start by discussing how you came to notice architecture at the age of 13. Make sure to make mention of the method by which your interest in the field developed. Don't wax poetic as you are doing now. Instead, write a straightforward essay that clearly indicates the development of your interest. So, what happened at the age of 13 that got you interested in the field? Build upon that information until you finally explain how architecture eventually became a part of your everyday life. That is when the manifestation occurred for you.
ReskiRamadani88 43 / 57 5  
Hello, actually your essay is good enough but it will good if you divide into:

1. Paragraph 1.........................>> Introduction

2. Paragraph 2..........................>> Body (Give explanation, reason, or example)

3. Paragraph 3 .......................>> Body 2 (Other explanation, example, or reason)

4. Conclusion

Be care full with tense using, the article, and (singular/plural/ Uncountable/countable noun)
OP Valltax 1 / 1  
When I was very young, I was always artistic, but I never thought I was good enough to make it my living. What I was exquisite at was problem-solving, puzzles, and thinking outside the box. Unlike most kids that struggled to decide if they want to be a rock star or an astronaut, I struggled with deciding if I wanted to be an artist or an architect, not realizing they're synonyms at the time. Architecture was a way not only to express my creativity but also to make others question what they thought was beautiful.

Somehow I've always known I wanted to go into one of these fields. Architecture, in my opinion, is one of the most complex forms of art. Everything is very straight edge and technical, but you still have to dig deep down in philosophy to make a building speak to someone whose passing through it. The beauty of architecture is that the idea the designers want you to have is very subtle. Architecture requires us to open up to the idea that we are affected by our surroundings. I noticed this at a young age when I would walk into my grandparent's house; it was old and creaky. You would always get the same feeling walking into their house, nostalgia. If you compared this to walking into a modern house today, stained concrete floors, quartz counter tops, grays, whites; you get a sense of purity, you almost don't want to touch anything because it's too perfect. Every building had a different effect on how you felt.

I found that the fact that you could manipulate people's minds without them even realizing, incredibly fascinating. I began shifting all my goals and intents towards a career in architecture. I went to a technical school for architectural drafting and design theory. Instead of reading books like Harry Potter, I was reading books like "Architecture Form, Space, and Order" by Francis D.K. Ching, and "Architecture of Happiness" by Alain De Botton. Climbing to the top of architectural classes opened up new opportunities such as an Internship through a local architectural design firm, called Mula Design, as well as dual enrollment courses to earn college credits in high school.

Architecture eventually began to take over my life. I never go into a building without thinking to myself, how does this make me feel, or way did the architect do this. The idea and designs I thought of made me all the more confident in setting my eyes on one of the best architectural design schools. The challenges of designing something as large as a building, as common as a building, and yet achieving the same effect the Mona Lisa does when wandering tourists look upon it is something much more than just art, it's an idea that I think about every day.

I revised my essay @Holt to contain some part of my essay that I thought were good as well as including more of my personal experiences

Home / Undergraduate / Application Essay What got me into architecture, how does it manifest itself in my everyday life?