Appropriate word limit? - Write a brief statement regarding your educational plans at UW Madison

kuiinn 1 / 6  
Write a brief statement on a separate piece of paper regarding your educational plans at UW- Madison

above is the question to the personal statement that i should respond to..

it says to write a brief statement. i just want to ask what do u guys think of the appropriate word limit?
also what would be an example of educational plan??
tx in advance.
ULL 3 / 18  
Well in general, 500 words would be what most colleges ask for. Its about one page type, double spaced.
kids_jessy 8 / 34  
Hi, for the essay required by University of Wisconsin - Madison, it is actually not the above question that you have written. I applied to the this school as well. Initially when I downloaded their "supposedly" paper application to check out the question, I also thought that the essay question is about educational plans. However, after I started my online application, the essay questions required by them were completely different.

Below are the questions:

Statement 1:
The University values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?

Statement 2:
If there is additional information you would like us to consider in reviewing your application, please share this with us as well. This is your opportunity to tell us things about yourself that have not been asked elsewhere if you believe they will help us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, and test scores.

---------------------------------------------------------
You can start your online application and confirm the above essay questions so you will not be writing something for nothing :)

Yup, all the best for ur uni applications.
OP kuiinn 1 / 6  
but i am an international student so does the question still applies for me?tx
kids_jessy 8 / 34  
Yup, that applies. I am an international student as well :) The best is to start your online application (since you can save and go back to the application again) and check the required essay questions..
AmyRemus 9 / 24  
I think you can state about your interested major (and minors), some special courses/hobbies that you hope to take up (apart from academic subjects) like sport, music, design...

Hope it helps! (:
Yes, it is best if you write it as though you are determined and driven, passionate about a course of study and about certain SPECIFIC resources offered by the school. Specific faculty members, organizations, classes, and so forth will make your personal statement powerful.
stimpsimp 6 / 37  
I am an international student and it does apply to you. I am also applying to them too. As kids_jessy said, the two statements he gave are the statements I am currently working on. Try the online application.
If you are still going with the original prompt, an educational plan would be just that, what you plan to do in regards to your education. What are you thinking of majoring in? Are you going to go on to postgraduate studies after you graduate? What do you hope to learn from attending university, apart from the subject matter itself? That sort of thing.
OP kuiinn 1 / 6  

To be given the chance to study abroad will mark the new phase of my life. I yearn to seek wisdom on the other side of the world, dig out vast experiences, and gain as much knowledge as possible in the field of food science in the hope of reaching out to those who live their life in hunger. In this once in a lifetime opportunity, I want to see my studies as a food scientist be put to practice and remove nutrient deficiency from the list of prominent problems that plague the human population. I have come to realize that being part of the wealthy sector of Indonesian society brings with it responsibility for those who are not so fortunate.

In addition to pursuing academic excellence, I also intend to participate in organizations and internship programs related to these areas. I want to expand my knowledge and expose myself to all sorts of experiences which I believe will enrich me and help prepare me to succeed in any difficulty. With the student leadership program, I can grasp the opportunity to discover hidden potentials inside of me and hopefully be successful in becoming a role model for others. I am also excited to be a part of Wisconsin Hoofers which encourages students to be an active participant in outdoor activities that promotes awareness of our environment.

I also want to discover more of the real life challenges of a working environment. I believe I can gain valuables lessons which will equip me to succeed in the real world where relationships and working in a team are essential. With hard work, I believe we can change our community for the better and hopefully put a permanent smile on the faces of those who leads underprivileged life. This is the dream I have.

I am optimistic that studying at UW-Madison will permit me to reach these goals. I believe that the mystery of good nutrition will unravel and more discoveries will be made possible through using the vast resources and forefront research programs and facilities that UW-Madison has to offer. I am keen to seek assistance from professionals who can help me and equip me with the necessary determination in improving the lives of mankind. I am definitely eager to become a member of the UW-Madison family.

hey guys..im still continuing with the paper question because im submitting mine via mail...
so if u guys can spare ur time a little in proof reading my essay..
your inputs will be greatly appreciated
thxx :)
In this once in a lifetime opportunity, I want to see my studies as a food scientist be put to practice and remove nutrient deficiency from the list of prominent problems that plague the human population. I think this third sentence should be the first. It's always good to start out strong!

I believe I can gain valuable lessons which will equip me to succeed in the real world where relationships and working in a team are essential.

Good essay!!
Good luck in school.

:)
The first paragraph is wonderfully written, but has little, if anything, to do with Madison.

"I also intend to participate in organizations and internship programs related to these areas" You should elaborate on this. In fact, you should go into more detail about just about everything in this paragraph, which covers material that directly answers the prompt.

The third paragraph is less well-written than the third, and also has very little to do, as it is currently written, with Madison per se.

The final paragraph is fairly solid, though you might want to mention why you think Madison, in particular, will help you meet your educational goals better than any other university.

In other words, you need to focus more on Madison, and on how your plans involve the university, throughout the essay. Good luck.
OP kuiinn 1 / 6  

My academics are balanced by my passion for arts. I play two musical instruments, the piano and violin and am actively involved in the school's orchestra. I gain several distinctions in my piano exams and won third place for the junior piano contest in my district. Playing in an orchestra has successfully trained me to be an individual full of compassion as it gives me the heart to listen, paying careful attention to others who are playing because they might be the one who is accompanying me with the harmony. It also teaches me to work as a team because I have to be in the same rhythm with others, playing at the designated tempo even though I have mastered the piece. In an orchestra, everything needs to blend in well or the orchestra itself will fall apart. So it also trains me to concentrate fully on any given task because, in an orchestra, one missed note is a fatal mistake. Thus, I believe an orchestra removes people from being arrogant or selfish individuals and trains everyone to have a sense of care and concern for others.

I also initiated in learning my own cultural tradition by exposing myself to the world of batik. Batik is a form of art that reflects a high level of creativity and has been long part of Indonesia's heritage. I have been proud to be able to learn this unique creation first hand as I patiently discovered the intricacies behind the making of Batik until I am able to design and produce my own Batik motifs. I am proud that I am able to benefit my home country as I have spread the skills that I have learned to friends, relatives and even foreigners to help prevent this part of my culture from extinction. Most importantly, I am proud that I am a part of such a complex culture, one that goes beyond stereotypes and hopefully I will bring to the school perhaps a subtle, but ultimately a different view of the world, a cultural paradigm that only an Indonesian can bring.

here is another one that requires editing
hope u guys can help:)
thxx
My academics are balanced by my passion for arts.

Great opening sentence! (Should it be "the" arts?)

I have been proud to be able to learn this unique creation first hand, as I patiently discovered the intricacies behind the making of Batik and am now able to design and produce my own Batik motifs.

I am proud that I am able to benefit my home country as I have spread the skills that I have learned, to friends, relatives and even foreigners to help prevent this part of my culture from becoming extinct .

Great essay, you had a strong beginning and a strong ending. You answered the question very well and gave the reader two great windows into your personality.

Good luck in school!

:)
Some more grammatical fixes, in addition to Kevin's:

"I play two musical instruments, the piano and violin, and am actively involved in the school's orchestra"

"Thus, I believe being in an orchestra prevents people from being arrogant or selfish individuals and trains everyone to have a sense of care and concern for others."

"I also started to learn more about my own cultural traditions by exposing myself to the world of batik."
OP kuiinn 1 / 6  
well thankss moderatorss..
i have now changed the first and second paragraph as follows:
comments please.. thank you

I believe "need" is the root to change. There is a need to reach out to those who live their life in hunger and reduce the agonies suffered by our brothers and sisters who lead underprivileged life. I have come to realize that being part of the wealthy sector of Indonesian society brings with it responsibility for those who are not so fortunate. I believe this vision of change will be inevitable as I pursue knowledge in UW-Madison where I can see my studies as a food scientist be put to practice and remove nutrient deficiency from the list of prominent problems that plague the human population.

In addition to pursuing academic excellence, I also intend to participate in organizations and internship programs related to these areas. I want to expand my knowledge and expose myself to all sorts of experiences which I believe will enrich me and help prepare me to succeed in any difficulty. With the student leadership program, I can grasp the opportunity to discover hidden potentials inside of me and hopefully be successful in becoming a role model for others. I am also excited to be a part of Wisconsin Hoofers which encourages students to be an active participant in outdoor activities that promotes awareness of our environment. Also, the Lion's club of UW-Madison will allow me to be a person of impact where I meet the needs of my community and the world. In doing so, I can engage in relationships where I cultivate long-lasting friendships with members of the community and the club. I dream of becoming a lion.
OP kuiinn 1 / 6  
don't mind the last post..
have a read at my first para and tell me how it sounds..
Thanks in advance.. :)

I believe "need" is the root to change. There is a need to reach out to those who live their life in hunger and reduce the agonies suffered by our brothers and sisters who lead underprivileged life. I have a core value established inside of me from my family's constant maxim; helping others who are not so fortunate is a responsibility. Now having the chance to study abroad, seeking wisdom and pursuing knowledge will make the 'change' one step closer into reality. I have entrusted UW-Madison to be the place where it could mold me to be a person of impact as I want to see my studies as a food scientist be put to practice and remove nutrient deficiency from the list of prominent problems that plague the human population.
I believe "need" is the root of change. There is a need to reach out to those who live their lives in hunger, and to reduce the agonies suffered by our brothers and sisters who lead underprivileged lives .

I have entrusted UW-Madison to be the place where itthat could mold me to be a person of impact, as I want to see my studies as a food scientist be put into practice by removing nutrient deficiencies from the list of prominent problems that plague the human population.

Hope this is helpful.
:)
"One of my core values comes from my family's constant maxim that helping others who are not so fortunate is an important responsibility."

Avoid misplaced modifiers: "Now having the chance to study abroad, seeking wisdom and pursuing knowledge will make the 'change' one step closer into reality." You are the one who has the chance to study abroad, but this sentence says that "seeking wisdom" has the chance to study abroad. As such the sentence makes no sense and should therefore be revised.

Home / Undergraduate / Appropriate word limit? - Write a brief statement regarding your educational plans at UW Madison