The Battle of Want and Should; Arch-nemesis/ Relationship

zdv 12 / 68 2  
hey everyone. This is a supplement describing the relationship between me and my arch-nemesis. please read it and tell me what you think. any kind of feedback will be appreciated and i will help you with you essay too. Thanks. :)

The Battle of Want and Should
A person's battle is always with the own self. Comparing two different people is never fair because the factors that affect their life and their experiences are never the same. Likewise, my battle has always been with myself.

The two counterparts of my personality have always found a reason to loathe each other and it is rarely that they make peace. One side wants what is best for me (want side). It does not have definite rules and is willing to make exceptions if I benefit through them. The other side wants to do the right thing (right side). It is unwilling to make exceptions and is stringent. It has a certain set of ethical values which are created on the basis of what I presume to be right through my experiences and wisdom. It is resolute on what is right, what is not and what I have not yet decided upon. For instance, I know that physical violence is wrong under any circumstances unless it is defensive and I know that being a non-vegetarian is fine as feeding for survival is a natural instinct. As a result, I find myself debating which side to agree with at many occasions for one allows me to do what I want to do while the other tells me what I should do. Nonetheless, it is always the second that wins.

It is the right side that makes me own up to my mistakes and take responsibility for them. While my want side tries to persuade me by making me think of the consequences, the right side assures me that truth will always set me free. It is because of this that I would confess to the teacher if I forgot to bring a book or do my homework instead of sitting quietly in class as advised by my want side. It is the right side that makes me protest against a teacher for using physical violence despite the want side informing me that my relationship with him could affect my grades. It is the right side that would not allow me to cheat or plagiarize during exams or papers while my want side stated that it would be easier that way. It is my right side that does not allow me to share a friend's secret with another friend despite the want side declaring which friend's friendship would be more favorable to me.

I admit that listening to the right side has not always placed me in a comfortable situation. I was punished for not doing my homework, I was humiliated for trying to challenge a teacher, I did not have the best grades in class and I was called secretive by my friends. But one thing that the right side has never caused me to do is be regretful for my decisions. Choosing the want side may have saved me from circumstances that I did not want to be in but I know that the feeling of guilt would come with it. The right side makes me believe in my own abilities, believe in the truth and see the best in people. It makes me feel proud of myself for doing the right thing which the want side does not very often. Although the right side may not be an advantage for me at times, I am glad that I have always chosen it and if anytime in the future I am required to choose between the two, I would not even have to think before choosing the right side.
moon05 13 / 133 20  
while my want side states that

to share a friend's

should beANY

Nonetheless, it is always the second that wins.

Mention the side..

Your approach was very good, the first para was indeed grabbing with the whole piece captivating.
If you have to give a title I would suggest you to ponder more in the possibilities, though I like what it is now!
OP zdv 12 / 68 2  
Any suggestions for a better title?
moon05 13 / 133 20  
I am good with The Battle of ...
the leftover, think of something cool. With the first part it already is cool. The readers will obviously get a good feeling before reading it.

Which schools essay is this?
Is Lalitpur a city or district at Nepal? And Ullens seems popular!

Home / Undergraduate / The Battle of Want and Should; Arch-nemesis/ Relationship