biology has become an integral part of my life; Stydy plan: plant genetics

megiacodon 5 / 15  
To: ... University

Re: STUDY PLAN

For as long as I can remember, biology has become an integral part of my life. I was born in a Vietnamese family where my grandfather, who was a doctor, gave me an inspiration for self-study spirit, curiosity and love for biology from my early years. I was captivated by the diversity of nature. I also like to learn about the complicated mechanism of living processes, which was full of mysteries.

Following my family tradition, I attended Hanoi University of Pharmacy and I had many chances to acquire more and more knowledge about my favorite subject there. The more I studied biology, the more interesting I find its application in daily life. Evolution in biotechnology brings huge benefits for human kind including agriculture, health, environment and so on. Especially, with their high productivity and characters against tough conditions, genetically modified plants are expected to meet the huge demand for food supply for the world's booming population. My country Vietnam has planned to crop genetically modified (GM) maize widely but strong protest has been aroused concerning environmental hazards, health risks and economic problems. In my opinion, GM plants are the inevitable wave of the future but unless GM plants' effects are fully researched, those worries will still exist. That's why I suppose plant genetics is such promising field and I hope that what I'm learning today will benefit the country in the future.

In preparation for my research career, I had two years experience of doing research on Streptomyces and antibiotics at Department of Biology and Microbiology. My research included screening, isolating, growing and mutating the strain producing antibiotics, extracting and purifying active ingredients as well as classifying the strain. At that time, I got used to laboratory facilities, practiced conscientiousness and developed analytical research skill. In addition, my skills in accessing, finding and reviewing information have also been improved. I used my finding in this research for my graduation thesis and received the maximum grade from my committee.

In graduate school, I hope to study under ... with the research on global identification of proteins and construction of their functional networks, regulating auxin signaling and the resulting plant root growth and development. This study should connect missing links among auxin-producing molecular events and give a clearer picture of how auxin signals are produced and transduced into auxin-regulated cell cycle progression and root growth/development. I expect that this will not only reveal functional roles of the small G protein and dissect regulation mechanisms of protein nuclear transports but also molecularly reshape auxin-regulatory mechanisms. In addition, its discovery and intellectual properties obtained at the end of this project would provide a milestone understanding for agricultural technologies producing highly stress-resistant and quality-improved economic products.

Biology problems always attract me and further knowledge is always my ambition that drives me to study relentlessly. In the future, in order to develop the great potential of Asian in general and Vietnam in particular for traditional medicine, I plan to apply genetic technology to pharmacognosy, which may result in high productivity, easier extraction and purified active ingredients. I believe that achieving ... program in Biological Science and Technology Department at ... University will be indispensable to me for carrying on further research and it empowers me to fulfill my aspirations.
For as long as I can remember, biology has been an integral part of my life.

I was born into a Vietnamese family where my grandfather, who was a doctor, gave me the inspiration for self-study spirit, curiosity and a love for biology from my early years.

I also like to learn about the complicated mechanism of living processes, which is full of mysteries.

Following my family tradition, I attended Hanoi University of Pharmacy and I had many chances to acquire more and more knowledge about my favorite subject there.

The more I study biology, the more interesting I find its application in daily life.

My country, Vietnam, has planned to crop genetically modified (GM) maize widely, but strong protest has been aroused concerning environmental hazards, health risks and economic problems.---Is this because of high fructose corn syrup?

Biology problems always attract me and further knowledge is always my ambition, which drives me to study relentlessly.

In the future, in order to develop the great potential of Asia in general and Vietnam in particular, for traditional medicine, I plan to apply genetic technology...

Good luck with school and have fun!

:)
OP megiacodon 5 / 15  
Thanks so much, Susan!

Home / Undergraduate / biology has become an integral part of my life; Stydy plan: plant genetics