I CALL IT A REVELATION; common application essay

SHE83 2 / 6 1  
I CALL IT A REVELATION
I have always seen me as the black sheep of my family. I was the only person that has the gift of knowing what was going to happen next. I see when people were about to die. I have never found somebody that possessed the same kind of gift I possessed. I felt weird among my peers, family and even strangers.

At 12, I had a dream that my grade six-mathematics teacher was dead and all my classmates and I were at the funeral. Few days after the dream, it was announced in school that my mathematics teacher who was also my class teacher had died. At that moment I felt very guilty for not doing anything about the dream. My mother also felt guilty when I broke the bad news to her. Because she was the first person I told immediately I woke up. All she could tell me was 'it is normal to have such dreams, do not be scared. Nothing will happen to your teacher.'

A year later, after all the guilt and regret had died out; I had another dream about another dead person. It was different this time round. I actually saw the person's face. It was my auntie who had just divorced her husband. I had a dream that she was lying in front of my mother's door dead. I did not even wake up fully when I heard a scream coming from the hall. It was my mother; she had just heard the news. I decided to keep the dream to myself but I couldn't. My mother asked me if I had seen this coming. I had no option than to tell her the truth.

The gift of mine became a bother to me. I thought of how to solve it. , I decided not to sleep at night anymore. So I used to sleep right after I came back from school, then watched movies at night. Even that could not do much.

A year after my auntie had died; I had another dream about another dead person. I couldn't tell the gender because the person's whole body was covered with a white cloth. The person was lying on my dad's bed and my brothers, my mother and I were around the bed crying. I didn't want to believe that my daddy was the next on the line. I prayed for several days which was so unusual of me. I never prayed after having those dreams because no matter how I hard prayed, the person still died. I told my mother about my dream but all she could do was cry. Later after the dream, my father became very sick. He had piles, then later he had stroke. I knew my dream was going to happen so I stopped praying and started giving my daddy all the love and attention I could give. I visited him everyday at the hospital and encouraged him that everything was going to be fine My dad was a strong and a great man. Even on his sick bed, he would get up and hug me whenever I went to visit. He would give me a pat at our backs and tell me that he will be home soon. This wish of his and mine never happened. He never came home after he went to the hospital. One day, my brothers and I went to the hospital to take food to him. When we got there his bed was empty. Then the nurse told us that our dad died some few hours before we got there. We started shivering and warm tears rolled fast down our cheeks. We were not able to say our last goodbye, tell him how much we would miss him and how we loved him.

After my father died, I felt very lonely and sad. It always felt like something valuable to me was missing in my life. A void. I blamed myself for my dad's death. I shouldn't have believed in my dream. Recently, I had a dream a another a guy who got shot in front of my house. I've decided not to think of it or believe that it will happen because the more I think about the dream, the more possible it becomes.
handsome7boy 6 / 13  
wow, is that the true story? I liked it. Once, i watched a video that was about secret. And the speakers of that video-clip talked about things like yours. Sure, that's true, the more you think about it, the more it is likely to happen. That's called attraction. If u think about the good things that you wanna gain or face to all the way, they are gonna be happened. Believe it, and it happens
OP SHE83 2 / 6 1  
thank you. can i please know if there's any grammatical error or any improvement
vkwan - / 3 1  
What prompt are you addressing?

For starters, I feel the topic is extremely dark and morbid. While the story seems to be very interesting and peculiar, I have trouble seeing into how this makes you a person fit to go to college. This I might call is more of a personal secret that you might be better off keeping to yourself, because I just cannot see any relevance of an admission officer wanting to know this about you compared to your passions and your world that you come from.

It's a distant and difficult topic to write about, and it's a topic that people will have problems relating to or even reading because of how grim it can be. I don't mean to be critical or insulting, but while interesting, I don't think it's appropriate for college. Maybe you could turn this whole situation around, of death towards how you overcame it or how you ultimately came to cope with it.
I have always seen me as theblack sheep of my family. I was the only person that has the gift of knowing what was going to happen next. I see when people were about to die. I have never found somebody that possessed the same kind of gift I possessed. I felt weird among my peers, family and even strangers.

"black sheep" or the "odd one"? "black sheep" means a member of a family or group who is regarded as a disgrace to it. So, black sheep is generally associated with notorious activities and this is not something about such things, isn't it? I think this is something odd.

A year later, after all the guilt and regret had died out

An year later, after all the guilt and regrets faded away,

TheThis gift of mine became a botheration to me

This gift of mine soon became a major botheration to me.

AAn year after my auntie had died; I had another dream about another dead person.

.... was this happening on annual basis?

Home / Undergraduate / I CALL IT A REVELATION; common application essay